6h30 tube.....

jwc

so how many here have experience with changing out this particular 6H30 tube. The NOS versus those new made. Is it gonna make a difference? Online readup seems like there is little variance in sound.

Unlike the 6922 there's a whole lot of options.

so how many here have experience with changing out this particular 6H30 tube. The NOS versus those new made. Is it gonna make a difference? Online readup seems like there is little variance in sound.

Unlike the 6922 there's a whole lot of options.

I have a tubed CD Player that takes the Supertube version of that tube (i.e. an early Soviet 6H30 DR). It is a great sounding tube in my CDP.

Are you planning to use this tube as a substitute for a 6922? 

The later production pair which I replaced were Sovtek 6H30N-EB tubes from the late 1990's. The supertube's are Soviet Made 6H30-DR's are from a decade plus earlier.

There was a significant difference between these tubes in my CDP. Availabilty and pricing of the DR's  is both much less (availability) and much more (pricing).

Bought mine from Parts Connexion. I went through the owner and paid him a little extra to get the strongest and best matched pair from the 1980's they had in stock. I believe they've been sold out of these for a year or more.

There are some on Ebay but its always a Crap Shoot when you buy there. For example, I seem some pretty suspect pairs from places like Bulgaria ion Epay right now. 

I can't vouch for the authenticity today; however, long before the frenzy over the pre 1990 version, I bought a pair for my Audio Research preamplifier and a single for my Blueberry Extreme.  I believe that Jordan (Jorjen) has also used this vendor.  With the current exchange rate, the price may be about the best you find.

http://www.element-acoustics.ca/products.php?cid=12&sid=44&tid=&sort=&pid=519

Don't bother the supposed "super tube" it is a bunch of BS...all 6H30 were/are built in the same factory on the same tooling. The 70's, 80's 90's 6H30 are identical to the Sovtek and the EH today where it matters... they are all made on the same assembly line on the same tooling with the same basic internals...If you hear a difference it will be in your mind IMHO

When it comes right down to it the true super tube was made in the 70's,....then when those dried up they started saying the 80's and when those dried up....you get the drift. All BS...

In fact the current quality control is much better than on the 70's, 80's and 90's tubes...

Yes I own them all...thank god I bought them back when they were reasonable or I'd be embarrassed to admit it. 

I have only used the current production and find the EH sounds a little better than the Sovtek in my Peach.

I few months ago I had one go bad.  Created hum on one channel.  Other than that I have been using them in my Peach for around 9-10 years and no issues.

I think the question is...........which sounds better?  6dj8/6922 or 6h30?

I think the 6h30 is quieter.

I have only used the current production and find the EH sounds a little better than the Sovtek in my Peach.

I few months ago I had one go bad.  Created hum on one channel.  Other than that I have been using them in my Peach for around 9-10 years and no issues.

I think the question is...........which sounds better?  6dj8/6922 or 6h30?

Some people can hear the difference between tubes. Others cannot. For those that think the current tube is exactly the same and decide to purchase it instead there is a significant dollar savings.

In my own experience, there is marketing hype involved WRT tubes, caps, etc. but also often audible differences. Frequently, in my experience,  there is more than only marketing behind the reputation of a particular tube. Reportedly both Avery Fisher and Hermom Hosner Scott were very particular about who made their audio tubes. 

Here is a webpage that provides more information on how to tell the difference between the Soviet made pre-1992 tubes and those made since the fall of the Iron Curtain:

http://www.aca.gr/index/hiend/hiendArticles?row=1988

I think the question is...........which sounds better?  6dj8/6922 or 6h3

Mark, to my ear the quality of 6922 is about application. Example: In a power amp tubes like the Jans 6922 sound very good and are cost effective.

But the front end (pre amps or CDP's)is a different story. One must pick and choose to find the really quiet ones... and they can be hard to find and expensive.

I put NOS 60's Siemens 6DJ8's in the AH! CDP the sound was worth every dime!

That said, I do love the 6h30 in my Peach and how it sounds In Super Merlin.

tc

Edited by IB Slammin

In the Peach I have on the way to me as we speak I plan to roll both Amperex 6dj8 Bugle Boys and Phillips Miniwatt 6dj8. I have read the Phillips are more than likely made by Amperex. Phillips was the parent company. I think there is a pretty even split in preamps deigns between the 6922 family and 6sn7. Far fewer opt for the 6h30. In my experience the 6sn octals provide more of the classic "tube" sound vs. the 9 pin miniature tubes like the 6922, 12au/ax7. I am anxious to hear how the 6dj8 does in the Peach.

Craig is fixin me up with the NBS conversion from 6H30 to 6DJ8/6922.   Excited to hear of potential improvement with more tube options.  I've had the 6H30 preamp for awhile....ready to try something new.

Although its mighty difficult to "remember" sound I will be interested in your opinion between the two tube configurations. Are all Craig's new NBS shifting to the 6922 family? He must be of the opinion that he has improved the sonics of his design.

Although its mighty difficult to "remember" sound I will be interested in your opinion between the two tube configurations. Are all Craig's new NBS shifting to the 6922 family? He must be of the opinion that he has improved the sonics of his design.

I would say it is my "bold move" and Craig didn't seem to have a beef with it. :P

Craig is fixin me up with the NBS conversion from 6H30 to 6DJ8/6922.   Excited to hear of potential improvement with more tube options.  I've had the 6H30 preamp for awhile....ready to try something new.

Now you'll have some great tube options. At the pinnacle of the dozen tubes of that family I've listened to sits the pinched waist tube of the late 1950's. Acquiring one is a matter of luck and expense.

It has always been up to the customer. With one understanding that I will not get involved in the search and diagnostics of noisy 6DJ8 family of tubes. The 6DJ8 family of tubes failure mode is not testing weak in a tube tester. They get noisy long before they die. Edited by NOSValves
  • Like 1