My Klipsch journey thus far...

Stainz

My intro to Klipsch was in the summer of 1971, when I visited a fellow's listening room, complete with K-horns and a CC Cornwall. I had sold audio equipment while at Auburn in '68, so I had heard of Klipsch - but the K-horns left their mark on me. I would see Klipsch products next nearly a quarter of a century ago, when my #1 son worked in a hifi salon. I managed to buy a KV-2 CC channel speaker before my son moved on, but, alas, no Forte's. The KV-2 outlived several sets of HT f&r speakers - and still is here. Skip ahead to Feb 2015 - and I ordered a pair of KB-15's to try... $129/pr, I could use them as extension speakers for my SW radios. I liked them so much I bought a second set - and then a pair of B10's ($99/pr) - for the table SW radio use. I wanted larger bookshelf speakers - I started looking for RB-81ii's. I finally bought a pair last November and wow!

My home  office stereo comprised of an Onkyo 50Wpc TX-8020, a 2-ch receiver, fed by a C-7030 CDP. My initial speakers were NHT S1 2.1's, with their 86dB SPL, fed by equal 10ft lengths of #16 Cu zipcord and aided by a JBL SUB 550P. They were joined by another pair of leads and the KB-15's, with my riding the volume when switching between them and the NHT's. The KB-15's were replaced by the RB-81ii's and even more riding the gain pot when changing from NHT's to RB-81ii's (SPL 97dB!). I elected to get another C-7030 CDP and an Emotiva mini-X A-100, a 50 Wpc amp, for my office freeing up the Onkyo's for use upstairs in my 'hobby' room. As a retired teacher, I have become quite frugal - all I could afford on Black Friday would be a pair of R-15M's ($124), which released the KB-15's for use with my cleaner audio SW table radios. The R-15M's are now the main choice for my hobby room stereo. The British made Lowe HF-225 SW table radios only produce ~1.5W of audio, but using their wide (10kHz) bandwidth and lower distortion synchronous AM detector makes clear signals, such as Radio Australia, to which I am listening as I write this (They have 'Saturday Night Country' on now - with Australian blue grass!), sound great. The traditional communications speakers one would use with shortwave receivers run $80-$200+/ea, so besides looking better, sounding better, and being more efficient - they are cheaper.

My office stereo is now fantastic. Whether the RB-81ii's were broken in by the fifty hours of use they chalked up on the Onkyo before I got the Emotiva amp, or their is a difference in the amplifiers' 'sound' - the bottom end seems fuller now. The amp's 50 Wpc is plenty for the 11' x 12' room. And simplicity - the CDP's usual controls - and a volume control - easy listening, indeed! The large bookshelf speakers are ideal for my installation, their front porting permitting true bookshelf placement, as I've done. I'd love a pair of Heresys - if I just had the space - and $2k, of course. I am super content with what I have now - and really wonder what Klipsch will replace the RB-81ii's with... and when?

John

• Like 2

John: you might look at the RB 75 which is a compact two way with an 8 inch woofer and the same horn and compression driver as the RF7 and the RC7 both use. Probably the best two way bookshelf loudspeaker that Klipsch has released to date. Sounds like you derive a great deal of satisfaction from your hobby.  For a lot less money than a new Klipsch Heresy 3 you can obtain wider bandwidth and a much more domestically acceptable package, look to the R28F along with the other new RF series. Welcome to the Klipsch Forum. Regards moray james.

• Like 2

John, welcome to the forum.  Nice story, thanks for sharing.  There are many here that can share that story.  Though mine isn't the same, just last night I was thinking of my first Klipsch experience as well. 

I invite you to stick around and have fun.

Edited by duder1982

Thank you for the kind welcome! I am pretty content with my RB-81ii's. I still have the JBL SUB 550P subwoofer that I used with the NHT's, they both have the 'acoustic suspension' type sealed enclosures. I had to daisy-chain the CDP through an external volume control to the Emotiva amp as it's only line out is at the same level as the input, ie, before the internal volume control, in order to feed the subwoofer's line input and have it track with the Klipsch speakers. It's a quite decent subwoofer and I don't have room for upstairs, anyway. It is a nice base for my printer, too... besides... I secretly want to try it with the RB-81ii's!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, John :emotion-21:

I'd love a pair of Heresys - if I just had the space - and $2k

We are here to help (spend your money :ph34r2: )

Not $2K, make space...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCH-HERESY-SPEAKERS-2-Type-H-WO-1980-excellent-condition-/172138551189?hash=item281441d795:g:EL8AAOSwAuNW7Ebe

no affiliation, just noticed while searching last night

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

I appreciate the warm welcomes - and the Heresy suggestions. In my mono days - during HS (1964-66) - I bought a Williamson/Ultra-Linear 15W (6V6's PP) amp kit and an 8" woofer, a 3" tweeter, a 2 uF 50V NP cap, and a 25 Ohm 5W WW pot, had some plywood cut, and saved a bit longer for my cheapest Garrard changer & Shure cartridge. The first album I played was 'Jazz Samba', by Getz & Byrd (On Verve - in  mono!), followed by Motown. That speaker buzzed due to poor seam seals, so, impressed with a speaker in an article, I started on a new three-way with a 12" LF, big horn MF, and smaller horn for the HF (The drivers came from Lafayette Radio.). Yeah, the article was on the Klipsch Model H - and I had made a crude copy of it. Within days, the MF horn failed and I replaced the front panel with a backup panel and cut a round hole for the 8" closed back MF driver. That followed me to college and ultimately, to my last home's basement, where the high humidity destroyed the drivers. The carcass is a hardwood carving  junk box. I hope to have some real Heresy's one day! There are a bunch of them - even pieces - on evil-bay.

John

If you really want the mono experience, give up a corner and buy a single Klipschorn some day. They take up surprisingly little space given their actual size. Place set amp on top and connect to a cool vintage preamp/tuner like the Fisher 80-T or the McIntosh MR-55.

Edited by mustang guy

If you really want the mono experience, give up a corner and buy a single Klipschorn some day. They take up surprisingly little space given their actual size. Place set amp on top and connect to a cool vintage preamp/tuner like the Fisher 80-T or the McIntosh MR-55.

+1

I wonder if I would really be happier with a new pair of Heresy iii's than an older pair of refurbed ii's.  On paper, the improvements look impressive - mainly the higher SPL. I am retired - and money is tight - so I can't afford the Heresy's without selling something else - thus, even one K-horn is out of the question. I guess the real question revolves around how much 'better' the Hiii's horns would sound than my RB-81ii's. Anyone compare them? On paper, the RB-81ii's 8" bass reflex design goes a bit lower than the Hiii's 12" driver in it's sealed enclosure - is it realized in use? Thanks!

John

• Moderators

I wonder if I would really be happier with a new pair of Heresy iii's than an older pair of refurbed ii's. On paper, the improvements look impressive - mainly the higher SPL. I am retired - and money is tight - so I can't afford the Heresy's without selling something else - thus, even one K-horn is out of the question. I guess the real question revolves around how much 'better' the Hiii's horns would sound than my RB-81ii's. Anyone compare them? On paper, the RB-81ii's 8" bass reflex design goes a bit lower than the Hiii's 12" driver in it's sealed enclosure - is it realized in use? Thanks!

John

Roy put a lot of work into those H3s. I really liked the sound of them.

Welcome to the forum!

If you can't afford new Heresy's, why not buy used? Once you hear them, you might make room. A pair will set you back between $350 and $600 depending. If you don't like them, you can sell them very quickly.

+2

Heresy is a great speaker and if you look hard, can be found for even less than $350.  Put them in corners and you can improve their bass.

I wonder if I would really be happier with a new pair of Heresy iii's than an older pair of refurbed ii's.
John, Welcome to the forums (I guess that's be said a few times already...).

The H IIIs are a pretty big improvement, but a decent pair of H IIs woudl be very good, especially considering the cost difference. My older son bought me a pair a  few years ago, for under $400 (I think under $300, but he won't tell me :dry: ). Mine were/are in excellent shape, although I should get Deang to make some new crossovers or at the least replace the caps, given the age of the speakers.

HIIs are much smoother than the originals, and contain the same guts as the Tangent 400s, which were a larger ported cabinet, and sold in Base Exchanges to military personnel. At the present time, my only listenable Klipsch are my HIIs, while I continue my slow (lazy) job of refurbishing. Depending on where you are located, you might be able to pick up some nice HIIs. Or, let us know where you are located, as many here are more than willing to let absolute strangers into their homes to share the goodness of listening to their systems.

BTW, retirement will be coming for me soon, with a planned location in the Philippines. I will probably leave everything here in the States and build or buy something new over there. I don't relish the thought of shipping big items overseas.

Bruce