Back wall for K-horn

Moonshine

I have been enjoying my K-horns for 30 years without incident Now the new arrival of the second pair. The problem is I only have 3 corners in my sound room. What dimensions should I build the moveable back wall to place behind. Suggestions on best material for building are welcome. I currently am using Bells but just have to hear 4 K-horns. Just gots to hear 4.

Thanks

• Like 1

"Nice diagram Jmon….would insulation in that wall cavity help?"

Concrete does.

Insulation won't do much, if anything.

Sand is better, if I had it to do over I would use redi-mix.

Edited by djk

The line drawing is good if you read the dimensions correctly.

The height is listed as 39 to 52 inches.

The 39 inches will bring you to the top of the bass bin. The 52 inches will bring you to just above the so-called top hat. The latter is what is shown in the photograph.

http://images.klipsch.com/Klipschorn_635588075064528000.pdf

I'd suggest you apply foam weather stripping to the artificial corner to seal the gaps between the bass bin and the artificial corner.

Having a bottom piece on the artificial corner could be helpful too.

WMcD

IIRC someone made a slip-in corner which replicated the TSCM which extends the mouth to the front plane of the bass bin. That's to say the K-Horn slips in and some sort of seal has to be devised between the "home plates" at the top and bottom of the bass bin and the extension at the side. 

Some of the early K-Horns had a larger "home plate" but it did not quite extend to the front plane. 

Attached is the description of the TSCM.

The FR is given in a corner but the low bass must be better in the TSCM configuration shown than the regular artificial corner.  A bit of an extension of length and a substantial mouth.

WMcD

tscm cut sheet.pdf

Edited by WMcD