One RT-12D or one or two Jl Audio Fathom 113

Funkster!

i have owned a svs pb-13 ultra and head a jl fathom 113 in the same room and tell you that the svs will trump it in every aspect except if you cross very high like 100hz or something. 

I don't doubt that at all.  Look at the cabinet size difference and weight.  It should dig deeper and louder.

Weight maketh little difference here.  The bigger difference is that the SVS is a ported design while that JL is sealed.  

My new sub will have to have a smaller footprint than the one I have now, especially if I want to add a second so there are some realities I won't be able to experience.

another vote for the Svs PC-13 ultra. Pair of those for same price as a single JL. Actually cheaper.

That JL driver is actually really nice. I guess my problem with the idea is that subwoofer technology has come a LONG way in the 15 years since it came out so it's not exactly as seducing as it once was. Affordable and super low distortion 18's with a super low Fs weren't exactly easily available in 2001. There are much more cost effective ways of achieving or even surpassing the same performance levels nowadays, for less money.

Put it this way, for less than half the price of a single JL Fathom 113, I have four 18's, each of which only have like 3% distortion even at 115 db from 32 hz or so on up, all powered by an American made amp that can do 4,000 watts for 6 seconds straight even at single digit numbers, topped with "absolute black" granite, the sum of which weighs about 800 pounds. There's no way that JL can hang, and it's over twice as much money just for one. It's just not money well spent for home theater in my opinion.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

That JL driver is actually really nice. I guess my problem with the idea is that subwoofer technology has come a LONG way in the 15 years since it came out so it's not exactly as seducing as it once was. Affordable and super low distortion 18's with a super low Fs weren't exactly easily available in 2001. There are much more cost effective ways of achieving or even surpassing the same performance levels nowadays, for less money.

Put it this way, for less than half the price of a single JL Fathom 113, I have four 18's, each of which only have like 3% distortion even at 115 db from 32 hz or so on up, all powered by an American made amp that can do 4,000 watts for 6 seconds straight even at single digit numbers, topped with "absolute black" granite, the sum of which weighs about 800 pounds. There's no way that JL can hang, and it's over twice as much money just for one. It's just not money well spent for home theater in my opinion.

I totally agree with all said. 

I tried to give my opinion based on the question asked which is between two different subwoofers(F113 and RT-12d) without introducing something else into the mix. 

I did give a caveat about DIY subs for much better price/performance. :P

He could get a pair of these for a substantial savings over a pair of F113's with a similar size footprint.

SVS PC13-Ultra

Bill

• Like 1

Help support the Chinese and Communism, buy the SVS.

hey you mentioned needing some work before hope in another thread. How about make him some good old American made subs ;)

With Chinese drivers, a Chinese amp, and some Chinese terminals. We'll call it kinda sorta American.

hey you mentioned needing some work before hope in another thread. How about make him some good old American made subs ;)

I would be happy to help.

If you do decide to just buy a sub on line or whatever at least buy something made right here in the USA.

With Chinese drivers, a Chinese amp, and some Chinese terminals. We'll call it kinda sorta American.

There are good driver options made right here in the USA as well.

The Dayton SA 1000 subwoofer amplifier was designed by Bob Carver i know but probably made in China as well. :(

Lots of American drivers have been made just a few miles from me. Credence used to make Kicker, Lanzar, some JL's, Earthquake, Bostwick, and a few others.

Going the other way, Hawley still makes cones for Acoustic Elegance, all of JBL pro, and who knows what else.

Downtown, Warehouse Guitar Speakers makes pro style drivers for guitar cabs.

The people who appreciate such things are a dying breed.

• Like 1

Lots of American drivers have been made just a few miles from me. Credence used to make Kicker, Lanzar, some JL's, Earthquake, Bostwick, and a few others.

Going the other way, Hawley still makes cones for Acoustic Elegance, all of JBL pro, and who knows what else.

Downtown, Warehouse Guitar Speakers makes pro style drivers for guitar cabs.

The people who appreciate such things are a dying breed.

Ficaraudio makes drivers in Vegas as well.

Dayton Ultimax and the higher end RE Audio and most if not all Eminence products are a few more options made here as well.

That's a new one on me. Pretty sure the Ultimax comes from China. They're apparently having QC problems and just pushed the availability of them back to the end of July, going to start inspecting them individually. They've been out since like the first of February. If they were made here by people who gave a crap, that shouldn't be an issue.

Dayton Ultimax and the higher end RE Audio and most if not all Eminence products are a few more options made here as well.

That's a new one on me. Pretty sure the Ultimax comes from China. They're apparently having QC problems and just pushed the availability of them back to the end of July, going to start inspecting them individually. They've been out since like the first of February. If they were made here by people who gave a crap, that shouldn't be an issue.

Could have been the Titanic series, i know i saw a made in USA tag on one of these big Dayton drivers i used early last year.

I say buy a cheap Chinese amp, remember it was the US that started GAFTA  and all this free trade stuff, ouch! We even do a poor job of protecting intellectual property.  Buy Berhinger!

Edited by derrickdj1

DOH, I guess I lied, I was only considering the cost of the subs. My subs are probably $1,700. Amp was like $1,300. Really only did that because Mark Seaton programmed it, otherwise that same amp can be had for $950 now. Still overall way cheaper than one JL.

I currently have a 7.1.4 system in my HT room:

Klipsch R-7 ll's mains

Klipsch RT -12D sub

Klipsch RC-64 ll center

Klipsch RS-62's surrounds

Klipsch R5650 S-ll's rear surrounds

Klipsch R5650 S-ll's overheads (4)

My room is 12x21 ft and I am entertaining selling my Klipsch sub and adding Jl Audio Fathom 113's.

Can I get some opinions on this? Would they be to much for the room? Any feedback would be appreciated.

My system includes:

JVC56U Projector

Oppo 103 D Blue Ray Player

Onkyo TX NR 3030

Stewart StudioTek G130 120 inch screen

Sounds like a cool room. Have you got any pictures?