Imaging Problem....

SWL

In the demo i got the sound balance was perfect. Stand in same room facing backwards and listen to hear if the bias shifted with u or not?

I took your suggestion and sat backwards in the sweet spot. The sound still favors the left side. So even though I get occasional ringing in my right ear since the sinus thing....there appears to be something going on with my system that is causing this.

Like I said before, my solid state setup has always imaged dead center and my tube setup wants to favor the right side. Now my ss setup has been favoring the left side for the last few months. Coincidentally, this all started about the time I added a second THTLP subwoofer. Only way to find out will be to temporarily take the second sub out of the equation temporarily.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In the demo i got the sound balance was perfect. Stand in same room facing backwards and listen to hear if the bias shifted with u or not?

I took your suggestion and sat backwards in the sweet spot. The sound still favors the left side. So even though I get occasional ringing in my right ear since the sinus thing....there appears to be something going on with my system that is causing this.

Like I said before, my solid state setup has always imaged dead center and my tube setup wants to favor the right side. Now my ss setup has been favoring the left side for the last few months. Coincidentally, this all started about the time I added a second THTLP subwoofer. Only way to find out will be to temporarily take the second sub out of the equation temporarily.

Multiple causation?  A little caused by this, and a little caused by that?

At what frequency do you crossover to your subs?  I know bass is supposed to be non-directional, but the lower the crossover the more likely this is true. 

Slope?

Do their cabinets rattle at all?  Any rattling or higher frequency products are (possibly) directional.

Edited by garyrc

Subs are crossed at 90hz. Second sub that was added is identical to the first and is set the same as the first. This wasn't a problem with the single sub and the imaging problem is there with the subs turned off anyway. I'm wondering if the second sub just physically being in its current location might be what's causing the issue. Simply speculating at this point and won't know til I relocate it.

• Like 1

The two most likely culprits are the room or a weak component in one of the aspect of your system.  Good luck on the latter.  Easiest first step is to swap the speakers, then the various interconnects of the various components. Methodical is the best cure for this system.

I've been doing this methodically for over 10 years now and no matter what I do at various times one side sounds better than the other.

Then there's the whole problem of left handed guitar players versus right handed, versus left handed sound engineers versus...you get it now?

• Like 1

Easiest first step is to swap the speakers, then the various interconnects of the various components.

Thebes knocks it out of the ballpark, as usual.  :emotion-21:  (whole post, I just wanted to reference it with a quote)

I would TRY to get the bias moved from one side to the other.  Once you achieve success, you'll know what to do about it.  Never assume, be methodical in your methods and only change one variable at a time.  You'll get this.

FYI I have this crappy cell phone I got for 25 bucks (yes, I'm cheap).  It kind of buzzes out of my left ear when I listen, but what do you expect from a cheap phone?  One day I switched to my right ear and the sound instantly cleaned up.

I swear I can hear fine (up to about 12 Khz these days) but there is a hole in my hearing at certain frequencies.  Who knew?

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Subs are crossed at 90hz. Second sub that was added is identical to the first and is set the same as the first. This wasn't a problem with the single sub and the imaging problem is there with the subs turned off anyway. I'm wondering if the second sub just physically being in its current location might be what's causing the issue. Simply speculating at this point and won't know til I relocate it.

Is the second sub placed where it would cause a reflection from one of the other speakers?  If it can't be moved easily, throw a triple thickness of fuzzy blankets over it and see if the imaging problem goes away. 

Is the imaging a problem in the midrange, treble, bass or all three?

That's a good idea. It's co-located with the other sub but it is coming very close to a first reflection point. I have some Auralex acoustic foam that is dead as a doornail I can put there.

58c4f61cebdf18fd1a0ca9776cd86f64.jpg

I put a 2x4 GIK broadband absorption panel in between the speaker and sub in addition to raising the gains on my two channel amp from 10 o'clock to 12 o'clock and really have some positive improvement.

If both subs are next to the speaker, I have no new suggestions.  If only one sub is next to the speaker there can be some boundary interference.  Try to position the speaker a bit in front of the sub.  It will decrease reflections and help with the imaging.

This is it. I left the house for a while, came back and the center image is right on. Turning up the gains on my amp did the trick.

I forgot how cool it was to experiment with room treatments. I'm going to leave the absorption panel in place. It adds a sense of warmth and cushion to the sound as opposed to not having it in place. Probably because it's eliminating the reflection off the sub which is only 12" away from the speaker vs the wall that is 4' away prior to having the second sub in place.

Odd thing is....prior to having any sub in that corner, if I put any type of absorption in that corner be it a bass trap or whatever....it would sound dead on that side. Now that I have a sub 12" away it is actually beneficial to have absorption there. Go figure.

Just goes to show that experimenting is a must I suppose....

Just

• Like 1

This is it. I left the house for a while, came back and the center image is right on. Turning up the gains on my amp did the trick.

I forgot how cool it was to experiment with room treatments. I'm going to leave the absorption panel in place. It adds a sense of warmth and cushion to the sound as opposed to not having it in place. Probably because it's eliminating the reflection off the sub which is only 12" away from the speaker vs the wall that is 4' away prior to having the second sub in place.

Odd thing is....prior to having any sub in that corner, if I put any type of absorption in that corner be it a bass trap or whatever....it would sound dead on that side. Now that I have a sub 12" away it is actually beneficial to have absorption there. Go figure.

Just goes to show that experimenting is a must I suppose....

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took this a few steps further and have determined that the right channel is weak....and getting weaker in my beloved Crown K2. Raising the gains through me for a loop. Yeah, it helped with balancing the sound because I raised the output of the right channel in question but never totally balanced out and actually seems to be getting worse quite rapidly.

Can anyone tell me where I'm at now with this? I mean, will this be an expensive repair? Worth it or not?

I've actually got the right channel 4 clicks hotter than the left now and it sounds balanced.

I'm actually kind of relieved because I thought my right ear was shot.[emoji33]

You need to make sure it is the amp. I would blame the preamp first, due to controls possibly being dirty, and more areas for the signal to get weak.

Simply swap the left right rca's and see if your other channel gets louder.

• Like 1

You need to make sure it is the amp. I would blame the preamp first, due to controls possibly being dirty, and more areas for the signal to get weak.

Simply swap the left right rca's and see if your other channel gets louder.

If I swap left and right interconnects on the amp or the preamp, the weak channel follows. So which is bad....the amp or the preamp? I think I'm confusing myself.