Transcendent preamp, grounded Grid by Rosenblit

eth2

I bought a used Grounded Grid preamp, preassembled. It is DEAD quiet and sounds quite nice. It is also very light. I replaced a Cary, which has significantly more power, but is not as quiet. Also, the Cary has a headphone output, balance controls, muting, remote control, etc.

Nonetheless, this is a very nice sounding preamp. A new kit is $499, plus there are some recommended mods such as a better volume control which mine has.

Edited by eth2
  • Like 2

Based on many of your great comments on grounded grid preamp, I bought a Wyetek Ruby preamp. The reviews were stellar (but aren't they all) and I got a good deal.

I bought a used Grounded Grid preamp, preassembled. It is DEAD quiet and sounds quite nice. It is also very light. I replaced a Cary, which has significantly more power, but is not as quiet. Also, the Cary has a headphone output, balance controls, muting, remote control, etc.

Nonetheless, this is a very nice sounding preamp. A new kit is $499, plus there are some recommended mods such as a better volume control which mine has.

Excellent strategy or lucky, it doesn't matter either way since it appears that you were able to successfully use the Wyetek Ruby to divert the mounting attention being given to the Grounded Grid preamp while you negotiated its purchase. And to think that I almost linked the Audiogon listing to your pre amplifier thread. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Based on many of your great comments on grounded grid preamp, I bought a Wyetek Ruby preamp. The reviews were stellar (but aren't they all) and I got a good deal.

Excellent strategy or lucky, it doesn't matter either way since it appears that you were able to successfully use the Wyetek Ruby to divert the mounting attention being given to the Grounded Grid preamp while you negotiated its purchase. And to think that I almost linked the Audiogon listing to your pre amplifier thread. :ph34r:

For $475 shipped, it was too good to pass up.Now following A1UC's logic, my "footwork" in acquiring this fine piece should raise its price by at least $600. So...any offers for $1,000? A1UC??? How about it?

• Like 1

For $475 shipped, it was too good to pass up.Now following A1UC's logic, my "footwork" in acquiring this fine piece should raise its price by at least $600. So...any offers for $1,000? A1UC??? How about it?

Nice.........I will be building this because it will be a real treat to Nirvana.....Not affiliated, but Bruce designs "Winner" equipment....

Klipsch should listen for them selves....

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Masterpiece.html

• Like 1

The standard potentiometer included in the kit is actually quite good. It is the common carbon-composition type which, while being sonically very decent and satisfactory (at least to me), the problem one often encounters is comparatively poor channel-to-channel tracking between the two sections. What I have done in the past when building a preamp, integrated amplifier, passive inline attenuator, etc., is to buy several (since they are very inexpensive) and measure each in order find the one with the closest value tolerance (50k, 100k, and so on).

The Alps VCs are overall much better controls in this respect, as of course are those consisting of fixed resistors in stepped controls (which Transcendent Sound) also used to offer as a kit. I use the blue Alps almost exclusively now, though a year or two ago completely rebuilt a LEAK ST20 stereo power amplifier with a stereo carbon strip pot that had essentially identical tracking between the two sections. it was used in place of the usual grid-leak resistor which sets the input impedance to the amplifier.

I have also built the Grounded Grid for a friend in Europe, who asked for not only dual-mono pots (linear taper) for improved L/R balance, but also a master volume control (log taper) to be used for general, day-to-day listening once the the two input attenuators had been set at a desired level. It required modification of the faceplate, but worked quite well.

So great! enjoy your equipment! If you like the GG, which I also do, at some point you may like to consider the much more recent TS Masterpiece. It's definitely a far more involved build, but is an extraordinary component.

Edited by erik2A3
  • Like 2

I built the TS phono stage I am using now for MM pickups. Very high gain, quiet backgrounds, and, to my ears, a sort of combined quality of tube air and finesse with very satisfactory (also subjective) low end response. I had heard prior to purchase that there was the possibility of certain circuit revisions, but to my knowledge there have been no changes made; which is definitely ok with me. It has been a great match with the Masterpiece 300B preamp/headphone amp, and really any other linestage with which I've used it.

*As a footnote I would say that while the Grounded-Grid mentioned above would be a good first project for someone (after practicing a bit of both through-hole PCB and basic point-to-point wiring and soldering - none of which being a particulalrly big deal once one gets the hang of it - in some useful and great-sounding DIYing at a great price, the Masterpiece is not so well-suited, IMO, to the new builder.

Edited by erik2A3

With Lowther PM5A back-loaded horns, are TS SEOTL (left) and TS Phono stage and Masterpiece, top to bottom respectively in the center.

And edit: For the sake clarification, the SEOTL mentioned here is Rozenblit's original version.

post-49454-0-45640000-1463257040_thumb.j

Edited by erik2A3

No phono section?

Send it back it's useless for stereo.

There actually is a phono preamplifier, but the phono section adds $699 [build yourself] or $999 [assembled] to the price.

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent_Sound_Phono_Preamp.html

Let me get this straight.  They send you the worst half of a pre-amp and then want to charge you more to actually finish it?

Dang.  I wish I had a racket like that.

• Like 1

I bought his book Audio Reality when it was still being published. On delivery it got soaked by rain, even totally distorted by water as it is, it still is highly prised. In it he publishes the schematic, parts lists etc for several of his designs. I keep threatening myself to build some of them, ..... someday.

• Like 1

Good! It would be a great preamp for three times the price.

His first book is also excellent, though maybe a bit more technical than Audio Reality. The author shares some of his early designs, including the preamp I built in the early 90s - in my case, from the schematic that was published in Glass Audio magazine.

The very negative commentary is just....unfortunate.

The very negative commentary is just....unfortunate

That is just Thebes expressing his disdain for anything that does not support analog. As the reigning Forum intellectual, he gets a free pass.

An intellectual? I had no idea!  :lol: