How to curtail a neighbor's dog from barking out of control

Superdave

I would like to get some ideas on how to limit the barking from my neighbor's two large dogs. They bark at any and everything. Unfortunately, the neighbor doesn't have any consideration for their neighbors. 

I'm looking into some type of frequency device, such as a piezo tweeter at high freq. Please keep in mind that want to keep it legal! :)

such as a piezo tweeter at high freq.

This will eventually cease to work as many ultrasonic devices tend to. Of the units I used to sell at my place of work, about 85% of them came back within 30 days, 10% of them would be in after 6 months to report that the issue has started again. The remainder either never came back, never said if it worked, or it did work.

Calls to the police; "nuisance dogs incessantly barking- disturbing the peace". The City MAY have put together a flyer or brochure regarding animal ownership in City limits- send one to the owners.
Unfortunately, I don't live a city. I'm in out in a county area without those specific codes to help. 

such as a piezo tweeter at high freq.

This will eventually cease to work as many ultrasonic devices tend to. Of the units I used to sell at my place of work, about 85% of them came back within 30 days, 10% of them would be in after 6 months to report that the issue has started again. The remainder either never came back, never said if it worked, or it did work.

I have watched a video on YT about the piezo being used but they didn't state if it was really effective. Thanks.

Have you tried talking to your neighbor? Maybe because of the rural setting he does not notice the disturbance factor for his neighbors. I told my neighbor today about his dog barking all the time when only his wife is home. She never does a thing to intervene or bring the dog in or anything. When he is home the dog rarely barks because he halts it immediately. By doing so I probably threw her under the bus but oh well, I get tired of hearing it.

Remember, if the dog doesn't get corrected or doesn't know better because of lack of training it is not fair to blame the dog. Maybe a couple of laced steaks for the owner

Edited by teaman

Have you tried talking to your neighbor? Maybe because of the rural setting he does not notice the disturbance factor for his neighbors. I told my neighbor today about his dog barking all the time when only his wife is home. She never does a thing to intervene or bring the dog in or anything. When he is home the dog rarely barks because he halts it immediately. By doing so I probably threw her under the bus but oh well, I get tired of hearing it.

Remember, if the dog doesn't get corrected or doesn't know better because of lack of training it is not fair to blame the dog. Maybe a couple of laced steaks for the owner

ya know teaman you are probably right... I do think talking is the 1st step... But some people just don't give a shitt. 

I was over my neighbors a week or two ago.. There a younger couple and they just had there 1st baby.  I had some of there mail in my box, so I took it over to them. We don't hang around them a whole lot. but we are friendly to each other. Anyway just in conversation I asked him "do you ever hear my stereo?"  He kinda looked at me and said "yea" 

I knew you could hear my system out side when I had it really cranked up.... and it's not like our houses are right on top of each other... and there's kinda a major road that we live on.... also I did not know that you could hear it in his house... So I asked him "does it bother you?"  He said "well...... when it gets late.... kinda wish it wasn't as loud" He said he kinda hears/feels the bass :o

I was like..... I didn't know you could hear it in the house..... So I said is playing up till 9:00 PM on work days and maybe 11:00 pm on weekends ok??? I also said we don't play it like that all the time but in the last few months all the kids and grandkids have moved out so we kinda been jamming out quite a bit more. He said those hours are fine.

Really I don't want to piss off my neighbors... not the good ones..... the other neighbor to the right of me...... I built a 8' fence between us.... that's right 8'!!

MKP :-)

• Like 2

I would like to get some ideas on how to limit the barking from my neighbor's two large dogs. They bark at any and everything. Unfortunately, the neighbor doesn't have any consideration for their neighbors. 

I'm looking into some type of frequency device, such as a piezo tweeter at high freq. Please keep in mind that want to keep it legal! :)

A couple of cougars? Couldn't hurt.

• Like 2

A couple of cougars? Couldn't hurt.

Middle age women :D

• Like 5

Hey, if he was cool with the stereo and compromised maybe he is willing to work with you on the dogs too. I actually like my neighbors but a dog barking constantly drives me nuts. I have two of my own and one likes to bark a lot. Fortunately mine are pugs and pretty small. His are some kind of lab/shepherd mix and their bark is really deep and loud. Sort of like your bass waves!

This isn't exactly an answer to the barking dog issue, but I always remind the neighbors of my phone number before I host a party...

While I don't agree that barking dogs warrant a call to the police, there should be a way to contact the proper authorities and lodge a complaint. Still, I'd speak with the neighbors first, and at least offer to exchange numbers.

• Like 1

I would recommend to find a tweeter that plays higher than 20khz and play it at loud volumes facing towards the dogs. Human ears cannot pick up the sounds, but the dogs sure can.. I can not recommend spraying gasoline or bleach or ammonia in their faces, as it may aggravate them and make your neighbors aware of what you are doing. Not that I have tried these chemicals or anything with my neighbor's dogs who like to bark at me and my family as soon as we step foot out of our own house. . . I love dogs, just not theirs..