Building a Wooden Crate to Transport a Pair of Belles?

Wolfbane

Has anyone ever built a wooded crate or crates to transport a pair of Belle or other large heavy Speakers? Plan would be to transport them long distance as an LTL shipment.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll die of old age in another 40 years before I find the Belles I want in Western Canada.

Experienced thoughts on the efficacy of shipping speakers this way would be appreciated.

Plywood and one by's are your best bet for a sturdy crate, strapping will help.

Pad the speakers well with dense insulation sheets after wrapping in heavy plastic.

OSB will explode on impact and MDF is not much better and too heavy.

• Like 1

Plywood and one by's are your best bet for a sturdy crate, strapping will help.

Pad the speakers well with dense insulation sheets after wrapping in heavy plastic.

OSB will explode on impact and MDF is not much better and too heavy.

Thanks for the recommendations. One crate for a pair or two?

Edited by Wolfbane

Isn't that La Scala is similar to Bella in the quality of sound? I saw 2 pair La Scala in Calagary kijiji now.

I already own a pair of Oak Belles. Purchased after looking for a couple of years for Belles in Rosewood. The Oak Belle were a compromise and I've continued looking for Rosewood Belles even after acquiring my current speakers.

Isn't that La Scala is similar to Bella in the quality of sound? I saw 2 pair La Scala in Calagary kijiji now.

I already own a pair of Oak Belles. Purchased after looking for a couple of years for Belles in Rosewood. The Oak Belle were a compromise and I've continued looking for Rosewood Belles even after acquiring my current speakers.

OK, maybe I'm not fully understanding the need here, but why not just have your current pair re-veneered if you really want them in Rosewood?  I would think that the cost and hassle would be about a wash with trying to find some, transport, etc, etc, etc......

I was recently on AVS forum and a guy there posted a build thread using a carbon fiber vinyl wrap he DIY'd for his subwoofer project. It came out really nice. The place he got it from is in Canada. They have a rosewood wrap as well.  Just an Fyi.

http://vvividvinyl.com/architectural_films  

I used to ship things quite often and would sometimes be on Freight loading docks watching the scene. If I were shipping Belles ,I would put them together on a pallet. Surround them with styrofoam sheeting, underneath as well and maybe some cardboard and then wrap them with the plastic shrink wrap thats used to bind it all together solid. I think they would travel quite safely that way.  

Edited by shiva

OK, maybe I'm not fully understanding the need here, but why not just have your current pair re-veneered if you really want them in Rosewood?  I would think that the cost and hassle would be about a wash with trying to find some, transport, etc, etc, etc......

Still looking for someone local who can do a professional job of re-veneering them as an option. Not too impressed by what I've found so far.

Wolfbane - RE: crate for shipping.

In my experience, any crate will take way more work and $ than thought at first.

And then you still got guys running forklifts and possibly transferring truck to truck.

Read the "Pony Express/ shipping" sticky thread in Garage sale, and read about the Uship experience.

No crating needed. 

Feel free to PM me if I can help.

Bottom line, everything considered, I would go that route.

No question.  Lars

Edited by Karsoncookie