My La Scala's are MAXED out

Hagar

I posted this before some time ago. I just can't find it. 

I have a pair of La Scala's in my home theater system. I also use a Pioneer Elite SC27 receiver with MCACC.

When I use MCACC to set up my system, it max's out the La Scala's to 10 and sets the rest properly. Doesn't do it with my RB35's hooked up.

Anyone else have this issue. The fix is I use my radio shack sound meter to adjust all volumes manually.

And before I post another issue, let me run it through a filter here.

My La Scala's are vintage 1992. That's 24 years old.

The general consensus is you should replace your capacitors every 15 or so years as they break down and this according to Bob Crites and other notable sources.

Sounds reasonable to me. 

So why isn't there a sticky post that everyone should replace their caps every so often for better sound? Should I ask in the two channel sound or  technical mod section?

Dave :wacko:

I have a pair of La Scala's in my home theater system. I also use a Pioneer Elite SC27 receiver with MCACC.

When I use MCACC to set up my system, it max's out the La Scala's to 10 and sets the rest properly. Doesn't do it with my RB35's hooked up.

My Audyssey sets the speakers relative to reference level.  That means at reference which is 82 on my Onk AVR the Khorns are set at -10 (maybe -12, can't remember).

Anyone else have this issue. The fix is I use my radio shack sound meter to adjust all volumes manually.

What volume do you set them to?  At what level?  If you knock down the DB's of the LS's then you've got to boost the other speakers and you may be introducing distortion into your system.  My Audyssey does a better job of level matching my hodge podge of speakers than I can do.

+++

My La Scala's are vintage 1992. That's 24 years old.  The general consensus is you should replace your capacitors every 15 or so years as they break down and this according to Bob Crites and other notable sources.

So why isn't there a sticky post that everyone should replace their caps every so often for better sound? Should I ask in the two channel sound or  technical mod section?

There was a sticky just introduced a few days ago in Tech Mods on "Building the AA" by Dean G.  Maybe your suggestion that caps be replaced every 15 years would be a nice addition to his Page 1 post.

Edited by wvu80

With my cornwalls... my system sounded better with mcacc correction, with my la scalas my system sounds MUCH BETTER with the system running flat... no correction other than manual distance settings.

My Audyssey sets the speakers relative to reference level.  That means at reference which is 82 on my Onk AVR the Khorns are set at -10 (maybe -12, can't remember).

What volume do you set them to?  At what level?  If you knock down the DB's of the LS's then you've got to boost the other speakers and you may be introducing distortion into your system.  My Audyssey does a better job of level matching my hodge podge of speakers than I can do.

+++

My La Scala's are vintage 1992. That's 24 years old.  The general consensus is you should replace your capacitors every 15 or so years as they break down and this according to Bob Crites and other notable sources.

There was a sticky just introduced a few days ago in Tech Mods on "Building the AA" by Dean G.  Maybe your suggestion that caps be replaced every 15 years would be a nice addition to his Page 1 post.

So do you use a sound pressure meter to reference the rest to the same level? I drop my front La Scala's to -5 or -6 and then adjust the rest to the new refrence level and it all seems to work well with no overdriving.

With my cornwalls... my system sounded better with mcacc correction, with my la scalas my system sounds MUCH BETTER with the system running flat... no correction other than manual distance settings.

So do they MAX out? Have you replaced your caps lately. I get my back from Bob Crites this weekend.

I don't need new capacitors, I have la scala II's... that being said I do have new custom crossovers coming.

I don't understand the comment about maxing out... what do you mean?

I run direct... no correction at all including eq, dB increases or decreases, reverb correction etc.

I only tell my pre a timing setting by using fine distance settings... down to the half inch.

Edited by Schu

my Khorns did the same thing. So do you manually set the rest after reduceing the horns? I reduce my lascals to -5, and readjust the rest.

And Schu, are you saying, you don't have this issue? And have you replaced your caps?

That's weird I have a Pioneer VSX-90 my theater is in a fairly smaller room but it sets the La Scala's to -12 which I find to seem pretty accurate especially when watching movies at reference level. Anything higher than that and I would probably go deaf. The only thing that my receiver does is it will constantly tell me my mains are out of phase when I run the MCACC. 

I have said this in other threads and some have laughed and thought it was a bit foolish but I heard about a trick on the AVS forum where you tape the mic to your forehead and sit exactly in your listening position and believe it or not it made a HUGE difference in the outcome of the MCACC for me as opposed to just leaving it on the headrest or even the seat of the listening position on the couch. 

I personally found whenever I didn't do the forehead trick the sound settings came out way too bright and tinny as opposed to the deeper much richer fuller soundstage I got when doing the mic on the forehead trick. I would say it's worth a shot you never know. 

So do you use a sound pressure meter to reference the rest to the same level?

I drop my front La Scala's to -5 or -6 and then adjust the rest to the new reference level and it all seems to work well with no overdriving.

I don't use an SPL meter at all.  My 5.1 has mis-matched center and surrounds relative to my L/R Khorns with different efficiencies and Audyssey does a great job IMO of level matching them to each other.

THAT BEING SAID not everybody likes Audyssey.  I think those that don't like Audyssey tend to be more sophisticated in terms of  their ability adjust the sound by ear to their personal preference.  That main complaint I hear about Audyssey is that the sound comes out flat, an audio characteristic not everybody likes.

Edited by wvu80

That's weird I have a Pioneer VSX-90 my theater is in a fairly smaller room but it sets the La Scala's to -12 which I find to seem pretty accurate especially when watching movies at reference level. Anything higher than that and I would probably go deaf. The only thing that my receiver does is it will constantly tell me my mains are out of phase when I run the MCACC.

I have said this in other threads and some have laughed and thought it was a bit foolish but I heard about a trick on the AVS forum where you tape the mic to your forehead and sit exactly in your listening position and believe it or not it made a HUGE difference in the outcome of the MCACC for me as opposed to just leaving it on the headrest or even the seat of the listening position on the couch.

I personally found whenever I didn't do the forehead trick the sound settings came out way too bright and tinny as opposed to the deeper much richer fuller soundstage I got when doing the mic on the forehead trick. I would say it's worth a shot you never know.

well that's cause sticking it on the headrest is a waste since you sit lower than the headrest on most furniture. And are you saying ou just sat it in the seat? A mic stand or tripod is best. I would think a mic taped your forehead would block sounds from the rear a tad resulting in higher spl from the rears after calibration. Edited by Scrappydue