Cheaper 2.1 receiver

dtr20

I have a great older Sony receiver running my belles beautifully. I was thinking about trying a small sub with my belles since they cut off at 45hz. I have a klipsch sw10 ii sitting doing nothing which goes down to 30hz. Can someone recommend a decent cheap 2 channel receiver with a sub output?

You should consult your manual.  Here is the SW-10 and I assume the ii version is about the same.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/287761/Klipsch-Sw-10.html?page=4#manual

There is a scheme to obtain the bass from the pre-amp output  and another scheme to obtain bass from the speaker wires.

Perhaps others where can give further advice.

WMcD

• Like 1

No reason you can't use the Sony's stereo preouts with a splitter and engage the subwoofer's crossover, volume, and phase controls.  I am doing the exact same thing with my Yamaha A-S1000, RB-75's, RSW-10d setup and I think it sounds wonderful.

Bill

• Like 1

Better yet but with more $$$ shelled out you could just go pick up this.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/subwoofers-paradigm-servo-15-subwoofer-with-x-30-line-level-crossover-2016-07-13-home-theater-01060-florence-ma

You could keep this wonderful sub and very versatile external crossover(X-30) or resell the Servo 15 and just keep the X-30.  Personally I would sell the SW-10.

Bill

Some folk use preouts to sub when no subwoofer out or LFE.

Is that the Sony unit pictured in your avatar? Cannot makeout the model...

Yea, that's my Sony.  The model number is Sony TA-1144

No reason you can't use the Sony's stereo preouts with a splitter and engage the subwoofer's crossover, volume, and phase controls.  I am doing the exact same thing with my Yamaha A-S1000, RB-75's, RSW-10d setup and I think it sounds wonderful.

Bill

My Sony only allows me to use the preouts if I'm doing separates only.  To use preouts, I need to switch the back switch to preouts, which disables the internal amp.  I have heard if I hook up the subwoofer with speaker wire in and out, that it degrades the sound a lot.

Let *Willland  or other explain since he is using preout hookup. I do not see a problem there.

Yes that Sony Int. Amp. is a nice vintage collectors item just doing a brief search. Looks like that 30 wpc is doing you a nice clean tube like sound,

Edited by billybob

My Sony only allows me to use the preouts if I'm doing separates only.  To use preouts, I need to switch the back switch to preouts, which disables the internal amp.

I understand.

Can someone recommend a decent cheap 2 channel receiver with a sub output?

How much is cheap? :unsure:

Bill 

Edited by willland

I have a Panasonic SA-HE200 surround receiver with remote and sub out that I would sell for $100 shipped to you. It puts out 130 wpc@6 ohms which should be more than sufficient for what you need

223036-panasonic_sahe200_61_surround_rec

223037-panasonic_sahe200_61_surround_rec

Tim

Edited by teaman

$100-200 on the used market

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How about these choices both under $200.00 and refurbished with warranty.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktx8050/onkyo-tx-8050-2-x-80-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/1.html

I have the Integra version(DTM-40.4) of this Onkyo and absolutely love it.  Networking, stereo preouts, subwoofer preout.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrs300bl/yamaha-r-s300-2-ch-x-50-watts-natural-sound-stereo-receiver/1.html

No experience with this Yamaha but love the Yamaha integrated I have driving my RB-75's.  Nice vintage/retro look and subwoofer preout.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

have used this with La Scala, good results...

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8050-Network-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B004UR486G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468790454&sr=8-4&keywords=onkyo+tx-8020

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

edit: Oh, missed the price range post...

I have been meaning to ask you how the 8050/La Scala combo was working out.

Bill

I have been meaning to ask you how the 8050/La Scala combo was working out.

Turned into a beautiful and affordable combination. A friend has it now and he loves it.  Sounds very nice with plenty of options and room to grow.  Thank you for the recommendation, Bill :emotion-21:

He took one of the beater Scala pairs I had and did his own restoration.  He has never really even had a stereo system in his life.  Off to a good start? :D   - Look for a "newbie" from the MidMo area, poking his head in here soon. 

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Edited by Matthews

I have a Panasonic SA-HE200 surround receiver with remote and sub out that I would sell for $100 shipped to you. It puts out 130 wpc@6 ohms which should be more than sufficient for what you need

223036-panasonic_sahe200_61_surround_rec

223037-panasonic_sahe200_61_surround_rec

Tim

Every time I hooked up an avr to by belles, they never sounded good. I tried my old harman kardon, my father's integra, and his onkyo, all sounded bad. It wasn't until I hooked up the old Sony did they sing. I'm going to try hooking up my harman kardon as a preamp to my Sony to see how that sounds, which will give me the sub out. Thanks for your suggestions. If this works out well, maybe I'll pick up that Yamaha or something from accessories 4 less. Edited by dtr20
  • Like 2