Website Overhaul Aug 2016 - Questions and Comments

20 minutes ago, TwoCables said:

What's wrong with it? Is it slow?

I am sure the speed bug will be worked out, as mentioned somewhere.  Our nice little family warmth is gone.  It is like they took lessons from AK on how to build a better forum..  The "old format" was very simple, easy to read, navigate and be a participant in.   To follow along with anything in the "new" forum is like walking around with two left feet.  Very sterile, uninviting and with constant barriers.  Perhaps it is easier to find something or to post a picture but that is the where improvements end. 

Give us back everything on ONE simple page please!

Maybe it is just me? 

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldred said:

You use to be able to see the last 10 posts at the top. You could go from one topic to another without hitting the same back button over and over again. I didn't make my tablet crash/ hang. Why the f  should I have to give a reason for edit. Maybe we need to know more about how to use it. It seems sterile 

Give it a chance.

Also, they have already explained that we will have performance problems until the indexing is done: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/announcement/5-forum-site-performance/

Edit: Look at the right side of the page: https://community.klipsch.com/

I think you guys are being way too quick to judge this platform. Give it some time. Don't leave this community just because the platform is different. You guys make this community as good as it is.

Edited by TwoCables
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matthews said:

I am sure the speed bug will be worked out, as mentioned somewhere.  Our nice little family warmth is gone.  It is like they took lessons from AK on how to build a better forum..  The "old format" was very simple, easy to read, navigate and be a participant in.   To follow along with anything in the "new" forum is like walking around with two left feet.  Very sterile, uninviting and with constant barriers.  Perhaps it is easier to find something or to post a picture but that is the where improvements end. 

Maybe it is just me? 

The speed isn't something they need to work on. It's just indexing right now. Again, read here: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/announcement/5-forum-site-performance/

I found this at the top of the page.

You guys are judging this too harshly way too soon. Give it some time. You haven't even spent one day with this platform yet. Give it a few weeks. You would give anything ELSE a few weeks before you could form a solid opinion, right?

Do you really think it's a good idea to quit coming here after spending barely even one day with this new platform? You guys make this community as good as it is. Don't leave just because they changed platforms. Besides, I honestly believe with all my heart that you will come to love this platform.

Edited by TwoCables
  • Like 1

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, oldred said:

Why the f  should I have to give a reason for edit.

You shouldn't. That's why I enabled the "edit silently" option. (You still have the option to give a reason though -- sometimes that helps moderators) -- the reason was always optional, just so you know.

46 minutes ago, Matthews said:

To follow along with anything in the "new" forum is like walking around with two left feet.

I invite you to check out the "Activity" tab at the top of the page. There you will find "Activity feeds" and you can even create your own custom activity feeds based on your own preference. It's a pretty nice feature. I do hope you give the "facelift" more of a chance than just a few hours.

26 minutes ago, oldred said:

I will give it a little longer.

Great!

• Like 2

The option to give a reason for editing is there in case you really want others to know why you edited your post. It's not a required field. Even better is, we get to choose whether others can see that we even edited the message. "Show that the message has been edited". Now that's pretty nice if you ask me.

Overall, I just don't want any of our best community members to leave! You guys are why many of us are here. You guys are why this community is the best. If you leave, then we will sorely miss you.

I think that in the end, you will end up loving this platform. You will see why it was chosen, and you will see why it is the way it is. I think that once it's done indexing, it will feel and perform better than the old platform.

You know what they say about teaching an old dog. It is going to take some getting use to. The lock up issue I think was  due to Swift key keyboard. Once changing  back to default...the issue seem to be gone. This is not unusable . If was just nice to be able to pop in to the form and quickly see what people were talking about. The activity's tab is pretty close to the same thing. And besides ...Nobody is going anywhere else.....We just got to see how Scrappydude's DIY build comes out.

G.E.M.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chad said:

I invite you to check out the "Activity" tab at the top of the page. There you will find "Activity feeds" and you can even create your own custom activity feeds based on your own preference. It's a pretty nice feature. I do hope you give the "facelift" more of a chance than just a few hours.

Oh I did. Have spent the last few hours navigating around.  As I mentioned earlier, ONE page with the recent activity at the top, in it's own "box".  All you would have to do is add this old feature to the top of the new "browse" page.  I think this simple change/addition would make a lot of users more inclined to interact with the community and help to stimulate the warm environment many of us have come to call family.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪  

3 minutes ago, Matthews said:

Oh I did. Have spent the last few hours navigating around.  As I mentioned earlier, ONE page with the recent activity at the top, in it's own "box".  All you would have to do is add this old feature to the top of the new "browse" page.  I think this simple change/addition would make a lot of users more inclined to interact with the community and help to stimulate the warm environment many of us have come to call family.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪  

If you want to see the recent activity, then look at the right-hand side of the page: https://community.klipsch.com/

10 recent posts, just like we used to have, but in a slightly different location. So, I honestly don't understand what the problem is.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Matthews said:

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪  

Recent Posts are in the right sidebar. It shows the latest 10 posts across all forums you have access to. It's not EXACTLY the same as the "old feature", but that old feature was there because a 3rd party plugin existed that no longer exists for the new version of the forums. Not everything is as "simple" as some assume.

• Like 1

I propose that we all wait exactly 14 days before we make any decisions about what we think of this platform. Really use it. Put it to the test. Go through every last nook and cranny. Really spend time getting to know it.

Have you ever upgraded to a new operating system that was extremely different from the previous that you hated at first but then you grew to totally love it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

One feature I used to use and wish could be restored is the text editor's button to indent/unindent paragraphs.

Agreed.Being able to indent does make some things more easy to follow. If that can be added back, I would vote +1. Don't poopoo this. Plenty of people still indent! 

Ask any lawyer. :) 

2 hours ago, Matthews said:

The "new & improved" format may very likely be the beginning to the end of my participation on the Klipsch Forum.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

2 hours ago, oldred said:

+1 To that. Not liking it so far.. 

Guys it's just new and new isn't allways better. I'm fonna figure out how to make this forum do the things I want it to do. When the reindexing gets done, the speed issues will vastly improve.  

1 hour ago, oldred said:

You use to be able to see the last 10 posts at the top. You could go from one topic to another without hitting the same back button over and over again. I didn't make my tablet crash/ hang. Why the f  should I have to give a reason for edit. Maybe we need to know more about how to use it. It seems sterile 

These are all valid agruments. I liked the last 10 posts at the top too. Usually I would click the 'new messages' icon and see everything in a list that I hadn't read. I also liked the button I could click on my name puuldown that said 'my posts' which showed threads I was involved in. I found out how to get to it in this software already, but it's nested a bit. I may create a bookmark and just surf directly to my posts. Seems the easiest way.

2 hours ago, Matthews said:

Maybe it is just me? 

It's not just you. This is very different and it is very sterile. Give Chad and his possey a chance to get this stuff worked out and it will feel like the warm cozy place we all want. It will never be what it was, but it will be something that with a little effort and flexibility we will all figure out together. I'm hanging in there until I do. Hang in there with me... :)

1 hour ago, TwoCables said:

You guys are judging this too harshly way too soon. Give it some time. You haven't even spent one day with this platform yet. Give it a few weeks. You would give anything ELSE a few weeks before you could form a solid opinion, right?

Do you really think it's a good idea to quit coming here after spending barely even one day with this new platform? You guys make this community as good as it is. Don't leave just because they changed platforms. Besides, I honestly believe with all my heart that you will come to love this platform.

I agree. If there is one thing I have learned in my years, it is that people don't like change. This is no exception. You are absolutely spot on. I don't think people would leave if they gave it a chance like 2C says. It's way different, but it is also a LOT less mature! It took Chad a long time to get the site looking the way it did.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

One feature I used to use and wish could be restored is the text editor's button to indent/unindent paragraphs.

BOOM! done.

• Like 3

Can I make 'Sort by Date' stay my own default? 

I don't mind sort by rating, but if somebody posts something new, I may not see it if it gets nested. When I visit a thread I want to see new posts no matter how popular they are, which is sometimes just a matter of how old they are. I am happy to just sort by date manually if that's what everybody wants.

I am not asking for it to be forum default, but it would be cool if it could be My default.

3 hours ago, TwoCables said:

Yeah, but that's extremely old-school. I don't know of anyone who really does that these days, except for someone who's writing a book. It's just not common enough I guess. I haven't indented a paragraph since the 90s.

Over in the BS Section, we often argue politics and use block quotes.

23 minutes ago, mustang guy said:

Agreed.Being able to indent does make some things more easy to follow. If that can be added back, I would vote +1. Don't poopoo this. Plenty of people still indent! 

Ask any lawyer. :) 

Guys it's just new and new isn't allways better. I'm fonna figure out how to make this forum do the things I want it to do. When the reindexing gets done, the speed issues will vastly improve.  

These are all valid agruments. I liked the last 10 posts at the top too. Usually I would click the 'new messages' icon and see everything in a list that I hadn't read. I also liked the button I could click on my name puuldown that said 'my posts' which showed threads I was involved in. I found out how to get to it in this software already, but it's nested a bit. I may create a bookmark and just surf directly to my posts. Seems the easiest way.

It's not just you. This is very different and it is very sterile. Give Chad and his possey a chance to get this stuff worked out and it will feel like the warm cozy place we all want. It will never be what it was, but it will be something that with a little effort and flexibility we will all figure out together. I'm hanging in there until I do. Hang in there with me... :)

I agree. If there is one thing I have learned in my years, it is that people don't like change. This is no exception. You are absolutely spot on. I don't think people would leave if they gave it a chance like 2C says. It's way different, but it is also a LOT less mature! It took Chad a long time to get the site looking the way it did.

On the main page just as we had before, we have the last 10 posts. It's just on the right-hand side now instead of at the top.

You can do a LOT in the 'Activity' tab at the top (you just hover over these tabs and then click the content on them). I think this is one of the things you want: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/discover/unread/

The "new & improved" Klipsch forum, no more than a selling tool now.

Very disappointing.  The dreaded and distasteful "AudioKarma" meets Klipsch.

If so inclined, you can find me in the Garage from now on.  I am out...

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Administrators
8 hours ago, mustang guy said:

Can I make 'Sort by Date' stay my own default? 

This really only applies to the "Q&A" forum type. Unfortunately, you can't set that as your default. I can set it as default across the board though, which I may do, since it seems people are using this section for conversation more than Q&A - which I'm OK with, it's just not what was exactly intended.

Edited by Chad
Apparently, I can't set that as default... hmmm...
  • Like 1

• Chad locked this topic