Website Overhaul Aug 2016 - Questions and Comments

I use the the mobile version/view probably 95% of the time (via Firefox on my Nexus 6). And so far, I have to agree it's just way too sterile. 

There's too much "white" space...

The up/down arrows (voting?) in between each post in a thread is, in my opinion, a complete waste of space. And either needs to be removed or made MUCH smaller...

The text seems much smaller against all that white area. And smaller than most other websites.

I appear to have lost all of my bookmarked "Content I Follow". I had probably 40 threads/topics before the change and now I see only 3? WTF?

The "load more" button at the bottom of my "unread" posts page, seems to rearrange/re-sort everything each time instead of actually loading the next group of unread posts. Why not use the much simpler "page 1 of 4" format, and click to the next page of unread posts.

On a couple of occasions, clicking on an unread post or a post in the recent activity list, apparently causes it to disappear from said list.

I'd rather not have my positivity rating made public on each post I make. Nor do I want posts that I've liked made public. Each of those were private in the past and should stay that way. And if they're not, I'll be MUCH LESS LIKELY to support/agree with a post, particularly one that may hold a minority view. And this will do nothing but generate more arguments. Who made these decisions?

I'm on a 50Mbps cable line and it does seem a bit slow. But I'll wait a few days to see what happens.

This new look and the fact that most of the specs for the discontinued speakers are still missing (and I'm guessing never to return), along with the continued "arguing" that seems to be more prevalent (always with the same small group of instigators and participants), leads me to believe I'll be spending even less time visiting here.

I'll check back in a few days to see if it seems any better.

Chad: the new darker theme is a real gem.  Thanks.  The only issue that I've come up against that I can't figure out is in editing my older posts to change the font color to something other than dark blue, etc. so that you can see it using the new dark theme.  The edit post menu apparently doesn't show the "font color" icon. 

Chris

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Chad: the new darker theme is a real gem.  Thanks.  The only issue that I've come up against that I can't figure out is in editing my older posts to change the font color to something other than dark blue, etc. so that you can see it using the new dark theme.  The edit post menu apparently doesn't show the "font color" icon. 

Chris

There is a button for Text Color, right next to "Size"... although you may only see it on desktop (not mobile)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chad said:

There is a button for Text Color, right next to "Size"... although you may only see it on desktop (not mobile)

This issue only occurs when I'm editing a post of mine that's been posted...the edit icons only include--

B  I  U  (link) (quote) (emoticon) (bulleted) (numbered) (increase indent) (preview)

There are no other editing icons that I can see.

Chris

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Scrappydue said:

i am trying to edit my signature. when i click on edit profile there is no where to change signature?

That's actually under Account Settings now, not profile.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chad said:

That's actually under Account Settings now, not profile.

perfect. thank you and its done now. one more for you chad, can we have links in our signatures to our build threads? i see there is a tab under profile which lets you do a link. which is cool and all IF we only have one build thread. i however have my main theater build thread, a subwoofer build thread, and now a new living room build thread and i would love to have links to each in my sig for easy access to new comers. 

1 hour ago, Chad said:

N/A

Chad, I quoted you so you would get a notification.  I couldn't respond under the Poll.

+++

RE: Your poll, 2 options only

You made your poll a forced-choice questionnaire.  I would suggest you add  the ubiquitous "Other" as a choice, or at least add a third choice (which I would choose) that says "No Preference."

To expand briefly, I don't care either way, square or round, so I didn't vote in the poll.  Both options are OK with me.

4 hours ago, GPBusa said:

I use the the mobile version/view probably 95% of the time (via Firefox on my Nexus 6). 

There's too much "white" space...  I agree. There is also too much white space on the full browser version on a computer.

The up/down arrows (voting?) in between each post in a thread is, in my opinion, a complete waste of space. And either needs to be removed or made MUCH smaller... I think it's a good idea for Question/Answer threads like this one. Since Q&A is completely new to the forums, we just have to understand that the up and down voting is the best way for us forum members to tell visitors to threads which answer the community thought was best. 

The "load more" button at the bottom of my "unread" posts page, seems to rearrange/re-sort everything each time instead of actually loading the next group of unread posts. Why not use the much simpler "page 1 of 4" format, and click to the next page of unread posts. I think you are talking about this Q&A type thread again. Unfortunately the only thing Chad could do is not allow Q&A threads, and I think that would be a tragedy. Let's get used to these type threads. It will be easier in time.

On a couple of occasions, clicking on an unread post or a post in the recent activity list, apparently causes it to disappear from said list. Same as above. Q&A threads only

I'd rather not have my positivity rating made public on each post I make. Nor do I want posts that I've liked made public. Each of those were private in the past and should stay that way. And if they're not, I'll be MUCH LESS LIKELY to support/agree with a post, particularly one that may hold a minority view. And this will do nothing but generate more arguments. Who made these decisions? The old forum software showed who liked threads. This is no different unless I am not understanding what you are saying..

I'm on a 50Mbps cable line and it does seem a bit slow. But I'll wait a few days to see what happens. The forum database reindexing was probably under way. It takes a long time, but when complete, everything should come up at a decent speed. Like a search for a file on your computer. Searches on indexed drives come up very quickly, where non-indexed drives require reading all data and spitting it out as it's found.

This new look and the fact that most of the specs for the discontinued speakers are still missing (and I'm guessing never to return), along with the continued "arguing" that seems to be more prevalent (always with the same small group of instigators and participants), leads me to believe I'll be spending even less time visiting here. Heritage Specs

I'll check back in a few days to see if it seems any better. Cool beans man!

I guess I'll get used to it. I'm a school network administrator so I'm used to ongoing changes. I don't like how when I choose "next page" or load more, it goes back to the top. Plus, you have to choose sort by date or something else to put things in dated order on mobile. In time I guess. I know when AK switched over, my post count went down there but I've got theirs figured out and they've made improvements. There's things I'll miss from the last format for sure. 

8 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I guess I'll get used to it. I'm a school network administrator so I'm used to ongoing changes. I don't like how when I choose "next page" or load more, it goes back to the top. Plus, you have to choose sort by date or something else to put things in dated order on mobile. In time I guess. I know when AK switched over, my post count went down there but I've got theirs figured out and they've made improvements. There's things I'll miss from the last format for sure. 

That only happens in this type of Question / Answer thread. This is new, and it's a good thing, IMO. We just need to understand Q&A threads are different than topic threads.

Just now, mustang guy said:

That only happens in this type of Question / Answer thread. This is new, and it's a good thing, IMO. We just need to understand Q&A threads are different than topic threads.

Gotcha. I read that somewhere right after I posted it. :/ Thanks!

17 hours ago, Matthews said:

The "new & improved" format may very likely be the beginning to the end of my participation on the Klipsch Forum.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

If I might suggest something Matt?

It is not uncommon for most people to be resistant to change.  I also liked the old "look" but that is because I was familiar with it.  I think Chad is being very responsive to input and even in the first 24 hours there have been changes, several in response to forum member's suggestions.

What I would suggest is work WITHIN the system for a while.  Make your suggestions, you might find others agree with you and give Chad a chance to work out some things with tweaks.

-Dave

• Chad locked this topic