Eico HF-81 on ebay

Radiohead

Your knowledge of all things tube audio went from 0 to infinite in six months. From a person that didnt know one cap from another, to whether a transformer is blown vs dirty contacts, this is quite the affair. Yet it is documented on this very forum.

Yes, you have helped many on here, especially with your soldering skills. But dont purport to know the final answer between how parts coexist in a given circuit when this is VERY complex. Perhaps I wasnt clear; by quiet, I meant the quiet between the notes and the less "there" to the sound. In other words, there was more silence between the notes, which I sometimes call a "blacker" background. In addition to filtering, rectification, and circuit, as well as parts, TRANSFORMERS have a lot to do with it. The EICO with it's twin 6CA4 rectifiers and all triode front end (the Scott does not have this), are also an aid.

As for your insult, you are right. They are direct and full force.

kh

ps- Compare the EICO-Scott Sex romp with your following post, Craig. See any difference? Mine post was not an attack on you... just mainly a twisted joke on the EICO vs Scott debate. There is a distinction.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-09-2002 at 10:39 AM

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, this is a damn waste of time.

As if you have not noticed, I LIKE SCOTT AMPLIFIERS and recommend them often. I am looking for a 299 to have at home to compare and enjoy (and am even thinking of asking my buddy to borrow his 222).

Lets stop this gibberish once and for all. At least with ole Clipped & Shorn, it was amusing. This is neither amusing or as good as the normal BBS retort exchange. It is boring for others and a waste of space.

Let's opt out before any more pain is caused.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-09-2002 at 10:55 AM

Mobile,

These questions and discussion's that you seem to refuse to have is a direct reflection of your personality you want the opinions to be all yours around here and its just not going to happen that way. I keep throwing these questions in a quest to learn and maybe as a result be able to bring out these things in the amps I work on you take them as a insults. You posted that I love this and that post as a direct reply to my questions and you know it. I was just questioning your statements. But whatever..If you don't like getting involved in these comparisons then why do you keep replying to mine and others statements like John warrens. That was his opinion why do you feel you need to say anything ?? The same reason I question your opinion !! No difference !

Craig

If you cant see the distinction between the John Warren post to me (which even Chris Robinson observed with a witty response), then what more is there to say?

I thought your post comparing the listening comparisons was not very astute at discerning the differences between the tests. My retort was mainly an attempt at humor directed at the whole EICO/SCOTT comparison. Why does it take 20 responses to get this across? In addition, the last line in your post is FAR from neutral.

In addition, I spend as much time as anyone on here trying to discuss these differences and opinions in an articulate way, not just going berserk at differing opinions. My posts are not blind sided comebacks. I try to put something of merit, whether it be humor or information or just an opinion. If I DO come back with a barb, I at least try to make it amusing in a humorous or witty way. And I am here to learn as well. I wouldnt have come here if not as my WHOLE reason was to find more info on the Cornwall as a speaker I was considering for my low watt SET amps.

But can we not agree to drop this. It is PAINFUL! No one gives a damn. This is not enlightening NOR entertaining, like some trading of barbs can be. This is like trudging through mud with a rock-laden backpack!

kh

Edit: And speaking of learning, I REALLY need to learn more about the vintage horn drivers and enclosure options from the likes of Altec/JBL/Tannoy/etc as I see myself going down that horrifying path sooner or later when I get more room. It looks to be a more compelling option, even over Klipsch designs. I was around many of these during my band days from the early 70s through the early 90s but all were run by monster Crown and Phase Linear rigs. I need to re-assess this whole circle (and other forums have way more info on this subject, obviously). Although Tom Brennan and I disagree about many things, his knowledge of drivers and enclosures is welcomed. Same with ole Warren, who has more experience in this area, even though I would have to lash the bastard daily..heh. On another tack, I just heard some excellent rear loaded Lamhorns with AER Mk 1 drivers that has me looking in all sorts of directions. If only I had some room here.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-09-2002 at 11:36 AM

Your absoluely right there is no way this discussion is going to go anywhere you won't allow it too. All I am trying to do is ascertain if the differences you speak of are indeed differences or just variasion between the operating state of the 2 amps no big deal. If the difference is indeed the transformers so be it not much could be done there (I tend to think this is not the case). Maybe its the all triode front end although again I think not the only difference is in the phase splitter design other than that the Scotts are all triode. But hey you don't want to narrow it down fine subject over !!

Craig

From a post of mine in this thread many entries BACK:

quote:

To answer your question far above, it should be plain as day concerning the difference between setting up a listening comparison at the owners house (a good friend of mine who I play drums with regularly) between two of his units that had been totally gone over and in his collection (and the Scott was his favorite amp as well)with his main system... and an audio meetting with many pieces of gear set up in a questionable configuration (rarely do these meetings bring out the best in ANY of the gear). Also, as someone that has been messing with the audio side of this hobby for quite some time (since the 70s actively), I dont usually participate in weighted comparisons with one component exhibiting poor performance, and the other top notch. I do it to LEARN, not to knock down. We really were trying to ascertain which component (both working and with comparable tubes) was the better performer. Even then, if YOU READ CAREFULLY, I stated in my post that the results were really just with these TWO examples and that I even wanted more exposure to the Scott at my home for further listening. Some conclusiongs CAN be drawn, however. But all listening comparisons have MANY variables that are often difficult to take into account. Hopefully, experience will come to aid here.

kh

A meaningless response? You make absolutely no sense to me. I'll give you the soldering and great help to others saving money etc. But can you read? THESE TWO UNITS were BOTH GONE OVER and owned by the one individual. Can you not read between the lines here???????? Both, as stated, had comparable tubes (all quality NOS variations in the prospective circuits with Mullard, Dumont, RCA, Amperex) and had been gone over with parts replacements where needed. Both had new PS caps changed within the last year to get to measurements (nothing that fancy here - Sprague) . If anything, the Scott had more attention, as many of the coupling caps have been replaced with Polystyrene while the EICO had the original Ceramic discs in the pre to output coupling spots. This guy makes his own tube guitar amps. Even though the eico had the four Ceramics, they still measured within spec. And if you knew how much I loathe ceramics in general...

Obviously, there will be subtle differences in parts quality as these are both old units, the EICO being older. But as stated, once again, some conclusions can be made. My friend was actually biased in favor of the Scott and he had only bought the HF-81 on my recommendation, this within the preceeding year. We listened to CD and his recording studio Roland 24 track as sources, though no vinyl was used.

Please... how patient can one be? Even given this, I STILL want to hear the unit here. But to call that response meaningless, when I address the quality of the two units, not to mention the difference between listening test (ie audio meeting vs this test) is just one more example of the complete lack of close reading skills, not to mention the tremendous waste of time.

kh

ps- Meanwhile, I am sitting here putzing around on this damn forum while a tropical storm is bearing down on my house. I have boats, cars, and crap to get off the porch...what the hell am I doing rehashing this over and over and over...

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-09-2002 at 12:39 PM

The answer to your PS is you have to get the last word in no matter what !! Now get out there and take care of your valueables !!! Like I said this discussion is over !

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

$600? Is the guy on crack? Have you taken complete leave of your senses man? Smile.gif Isn't it ironic that people whom we think spend money foolishly always seem to be the ones who claim to have lots of money?

I truly enjoy my Eico so while I think the price is high, if the tubes are all great and it is that clean, he still made out. At least he won't be running out and buying $600 worth of NOS tubes (amp for $200, tubes for $600 - which is more insane.)

Like Mike, I find the dialog fascinating. Wonderful study in human behavior. Down here in the South, we call that a good ole pissing contest.

I would appreciate if the barbs exchanged were a little more witty; the Mdeenan vs. MH were classic, although the MH vs. C&S aren't too bad either. MH (and myself) are a little too refined for the sledge-hammer approach to insults as wielded by NOS. Smile.gif

NOS, I may get around to sending you a damn fine sounding EICO to have you tweak some of the items. It is completely stock and this talk of PS thingies and other crap makes me think it could sound better. At least then, we will convert you over to the "Church of the Eico gods".

Peace.

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

Crash,

That is most likely the only way I will ever convert so send it whenever you like Smile.gif especially with them now at the insane prices of $600 lol !!(not a jab at you Doc) I'm from the north and don't get in pissing matches and this is not my intention at all. I was just trying to ascertain where these mystical differences that MH and others convey come from. I have the talent to change and test on the Scott's and find the difference just trying to find out where it may most likely be or if it even exists at all.

Craig

MH, Must be quite nice most of the other time. I love the beach and its sights!!Smile.gifMake it a point to venture off with the family to South Padre every summer!Smile.gif No problem Craig. I understand

As for Mr Crash, Never have jousted with thee yet!? On crack must I be? Go re read the postings Mr Crash. Since you think me to be out of my mind, sell me your Eico HF-81 for a lower price??? One closer to what you would like to pay? Could use the extra for "PARTS".

I put my $$ where I like to. Yes indeed, sometimes foolishly spent but some of the systems here on this board, shame mine by far! If it is in an old good performe, good looking and hopefully nice Eico, is that not my choice? Enough said.

While reading this thread it occurs to me that there are not just two basic types of audiophiles as I had thought (right brain dominated and left brain dominated), but a third type in which the right brain and left brain have kicked the **** out of each other and have cancelled each other out.

To paraphrase R. King: Can't you Klipscheads get along? Can't you Klipscheads just get along?

Well, the way I see it Conductor, it is a brotherhood type thing. Brothers get into some nasty sibling brawls. That's all. Put them Klipsch's on and JAM.

Got to go, had a light afternoon, not enough people to drill on so I'm making a nice spanish Fideo soup for the family tonight!

Bryan

My good doctor,

From my post:

quote:

I truly enjoy my Eico so while I think the price is high, if the tubes are all great and it is that clean,
he still made out
. At least he won't be running out and buying $600 worth of NOS tubes (amp for $200, tubes for $600 - which is more insane.)

Just a little humor in my post and you must actually read the detail my good sir. My Eico cost me $182.00 but is not nearly as clean as the pictures indicate your's is. I have, however, spent much money buying NOS Mullards as spares for the 12Ax7's, EL84's, and soon 12AU7's. I also bought a set of Ei's based on MH's recommendation and love them.

My philosophy is simple. You pay. You pay upfront. You pay to wait. You pay later. The end result regardless is you pay. My total cost is probably, hell it is, more than you paid for your Eico. I console myself with it being my favorite piece of audio equipment and I spread the cost over the Eico and tubes.

We are all free to do as we please with our money and a bargain to one is highway robbery to another. Many folks think my spending tons of money to race motorcycles just to crash and break plenty of bones was plain stupid. My viewpoint: it was my money, my bones, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Being in a wheelchair for a few months was worth the feeling I got from running around the high-speed banks of Daytona. I would choose to do it again - because it is still my money and they are still my bones. In fact, I may go race mid-Ohio next year if I can get my rickety, broken *** back in shape.

Enjoy your Eico and consider it money well spent. It was if you enjoy music as much as I do. One further note, I will begrudgingly sell you my Eico and all the NOS tubes for, oh, $800. A bargain if ever there was one.

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

Pass the popcorn......

these threads are indeed more enjoyable when one is a mere spectator....and englightening....and humorous in the "big picture of humanity " sort of way....

although for some reason I cannot help remembering the time, soon after a long awaited and successful knee operation, we went to a special spot in the Sierras called Cherry Creek , a spot which required backpacking down a very long and steep trek, and yes, I could not resist the temptation to return up that gruelling incline with a backpack full of really cool round stones, big ones. The knee, right, afterwards was pretty much undone again .... dumb....I know....

I still have those rocks.....but like someone mentioned here recently.....you can't take them with you........so I am now remembering to enjoy them........again....

And now I am busy with that new 12-step program for eBay addiction, so If I show up at your door in the middle of the night begging you to snipe bid on something for me, don't do it, ok. Anyone else remember Mr. Toad having to be restrained by his friends......

Anyway, just thought I would let you all know I was lurking here......

Does anyone else here actually have dreams about tubes? Are yours lit up? Seriously, and embarrassingly so, I find that I do. (Please no Freudian analysis.....well maybe comments by fini might be OK.......)

PS. glad to see someone else in the big-spender throne for the moment.....the $ , you forget about, but the joys of the possession continues on.....especially ones that serve you musically.....

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components