My day today

dtr20

My wife and I start the day by bringing our cat Sully (named after Sully Erna from Godsmack) to the vet for a checkup, some shots, etc. His asthma has been bad as of late (yes my wife and cat have asthma), so they put him on prednisone, and give us a prescription for a flovent inhaler. 

My father comes over to hang out playing with speakers. We wanted to do some serious hardcore a+b+c comparisons with kg5.2, kg5.5, and klf10 speakers. The kg5.2's had the best mid-range and most neutral highs out of the three. The klf10's sounded better than the kg5.5's which really surprised us. With my Yamaha m40 2 channel power amp, I can hook up three pairs of speakers to compare or play at the same time. The best setup we came up with was the kg5.2's in the corners playing with the klf10's at the same time, but with the tweeters from the 10s disconnected. This sounded great. Really deep bass, with great neutral mid-range and highs.

We proceeded to swap speakers in and out of the corners, kg5.2s, kg5.5s, klf10s, klf20s, and klf30s. To really compare the overall sound of the klf20s and klf30s without the efficiency difference, we put the klf30s in front of the tv stand and the klf20s in the corners. This made the volume almost identical between the 2 pair. I felt that the klf30s still sounded better in the mid-range and highs than the klf20s. I'm not sure why this would happen. I have replacement mid-range diagrams, tweeters, and crossovers from Bob Crites in the klf30s and the klf20s only have the upgraded tweeters. At one point I ask my dad "if you think about what we are doing, do you think anyone else is doing this?" He answers "we are probably the only ones stupid enough to spend their Saturday doing this, now move that speaker over there."

We finally put the living room back together for my atmos surround setup and watch/listen to some atmos demos.

My dad left to go home and my wife and I went out for dinner and ice cream. I picked up a cheap stereo cabinet for my bedroom for my turntable to get it off my one of my belles. I cleaned it up and we brought it upstairs to have our first real vinyl listening session. We started with Disturbed's latest album, then No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" album, and then Deep Purple's Machine Head album. While listening, I worked on my dad's laptop while my wife was coloring in a coloring book (we have no kids, only a cat). We felt the need to post this, because we cannot believe anyone has had a day like ours. Everything just seemed odd/perfect. Especially since we were listening to No Doubt on vinyl and not CD or cassette. Goodnight everyone.

• Like 9

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:15 PM, dtr20 said:

My wife and I start the day by bringing our cat Sully (named after Sully Erna from Godsmack) to the vet for a checkup, some shots, etc. His asthma has been bad as of late (yes my wife and cat have asthma), so they put him on prednisone, and give us a prescription for a flovent inhaler. 

My father comes over to hang out playing with speakers. We wanted to do some serious hardcore a+b+c comparisons with kg5.2, kg5.5, and klf10 speakers. The kg5.2's had the best mid-range and most neutral highs out of the three. The klf10's sounded better than the kg5.5's which really surprised us. With my Yamaha m40 2 channel power amp, I can hook up three pairs of speakers to compare or play at the same time. The best setup we came up with was the kg5.2's in the corners playing with the klf10's at the same time, but with the tweeters from the 10s disconnected. This sounded great. Really deep bass, with great neutral mid-range and highs.

We proceeded to swap speakers in and out of the corners, kg5.2s, kg5.5s, klf10s, klf20s, and klf30s. To really compare the overall sound of the klf20s and klf30s without the efficiency difference, we put the klf30s in front of the tv stand and the klf20s in the corners. This made the volume almost identical between the 2 pair. I felt that the klf30s still sounded better in the mid-range and highs than the klf20s. I'm not sure why this would happen. I have replacement mid-range diagrams, tweeters, and crossovers from Bob Crites in the klf30s and the klf20s only have the upgraded tweeters. At one point I ask my dad "if you think about what we are doing, do you think anyone else is doing this?" He answers "we are probably the only ones stupid enough to spend their Saturday doing this, now move that speaker over there."

We finally put the living room back together for my atmos surround setup and watch/listen to some atmos demos.

My dad left to go home and my wife and I went out for dinner and ice cream. I picked up a cheap stereo cabinet for my bedroom for my turntable to get it off my one of my belles. I cleaned it up and we brought it upstairs to have our first real vinyl listening session. We started with Disturbed's latest album, then No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" album, and then Deep Purple's Machine Head album. While listening, I worked on my dad's laptop while my wife was coloring in a coloring book (we have no kids, only a cat). We felt the need to post this, because we cannot believe anyone has had a day like ours. Everything just seemed odd/perfect. Especially since we were listening to No Doubt on vinyl and not CD or cassette. Goodnight everyone.

I had 5.2's with Carver setup for many years.  I miss them.

7 minutes ago, jweber said:

So the addiction is on your dad's side of the blood line? :lol:

You could definitely say that. He is on here every day as well, just doesn't really post. His first pair of klipsch were kg3.5's which he gave to me when he got klf10's. His ht system is klf10's, kg.5's, kg4.5's, kv-3, Cambridge soundworks psw1 master and slave subwoofer set, and a klipsch synergy subwoofer. He has a pair of kg2's and some advent speakers for 2 channel.

• Like 1

The speaker comparisons sound like a lot of fun! I love to be able to do these.

I'd love to hear the KLF30s again. I only heard them once when they first came out, driven by an extremely cheap and bright sony receiver. I'd like to hear what these really sound like.