Bigger improvement - new crossovers or titanium tweaters?

Mpls Funk

Hi all,

I have a pair of ~20 year old KLF-20s.  I've been reading about people upgrading their crossovers to Crites and/or upgrading their tweeters to titanium.  Is there a consensus as to which of these two mods will have the more significant improvement in sound quality?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mpls Funk said:

Hi all,

I have a pair of ~20 year old KLF-20s.  I've been reading about people upgrading their crossovers to Crites and/or upgrading their tweeters to titanium.  Is there a consensus as to which of these two mods will have the more significant improvement in sound quality?

Thanks!

The term "Better" is a perspective.  Different is more correct and you will have to decide which you like better.  Unfortunately you will need to pay with your wallet. 

If you can do some things like solder the crossovers, then you could change the caps and or experiment with them.  For the Ti diaphragms, love em or leave em.

• Like 1

Upgrade the tweeters without a doubt. It's like $54 for the pair. To replace them it takes like 5 minutes a speaker. Switch out one tweeter, then do an A+B comparison, then thank us. The caps would probably be the same advice, more so if you can solder.

On 9/2/2016 at 10:26 PM, dtr20 said:

Upgrade the tweeters without a doubt. It's like $54 for the pair. To replace them it takes like 5 minutes a speaker. Switch out one tweeter, then do an A+B comparison, then thank us. The caps would probably be the same advice, more so if you can solder.

Sound advice but you have to like the Ti sound.  Good entrance fee though.

Ti tweeters are / were the most obvious difference to me and a great improvement IMO. The crossovers were a little more subtle but a nice improvement as well, more in the micro details when really concentrating on the music. Casual listening the tweeters are noticeable, crossovers not so much. Both are worth the money if you want the best from your speakers. 

I figured I knew what he was saying :unsure:, I was just surprised that the poly caps would be dead or have an terribly high ESR after probably 15 years and see what his perspective was on it.   I had thought the Poly Caps would have stayed reasonably in spec for maybe a few more years.

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Sorry about that, when I read "poly" my mind immediate thought of the cheap tweeter diaphragms used in that model.. :rolleyes: 

I didn't even think of that.  The polys (tweeters) aren't bad if balanced appropriately.  I know the original KLF-30s I purchased, the tweeters appeared to be hot so I dropped the level a bit.  The second set, bought second hand, the tweeters were more balanced.  Either semi fried, larger room, or deviation from spec, didn't sound near as bad.  In my room the Ti didn't make me say AH... The Ti's are still in but maybe it's the caps.:)  I've had them for 5 or 6 yrs though.

I did the crossover caps first and heard improvement in terms of a bit more detail and tighter bass. I returned to bob a couple of years later for his titanium tweeters. Cleaner, shimmering highs and improved detail in midrange. Then I went with moray James' advice to brace the cabinets and this netted a good result. Last month, I got the titanium midrange diaphragms from simply speakers. I now have great sounding speakers. I fully support moray James' contention the Klf-20s punch well above their weight once the tweaks are in place and not just for music. I watched 007s Specter with my wife a few days ago and felt no need for subwoofers. If it's in the recording, the speakers will deliver. I have missed my la scalas since I sold them ten years ago but not anymore. 

image.jpeg

if you have some dynamat you can experiment with a layer placed on the front and the back side of the tweeter terminal tab. Cover as much of the tab a possible but do not obscure the actual terminals. The tab rings like a bell and the dynamat really helps a lot. I also place a layer of dynamat on the back plate of the motor that helps and I find that it is easily noticeable but not near as much as the terminal tab but it all adds up. I also damp the pole piece of the motors with dynamat and a felt dome made of F-11 Acoustical felt using 1/8" layers and minimal adhesive to build up the dome which then sits right under the diaphragm. I do the same with the mid motor/diaphragm. There a lot of other mods which help but I have found that most people find they are too complicated but feel free to experiment. I believe that both horn s in the KLF20/30 respond well to dynamat camping as they are both thin in construction. As always ymmv and this is simply my opinion and worth exactly what it cost you.

2 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

The thought of screechy/harsh titanium diaphrams gives me the willies.  :o  MB Quart comes to mind to much sizzle is not always a good thing.  

I found the Titanium tweeters to be significantly less harsh than the factory ones, especially at higher volumes. The Palladium speakers are some of the smoothest horn speakers you'll ever listen to and they use a titanium tweeter with an aluminum mid driver.