Which Veneer: Mahagony or Cherry?

jayu969

On 9/6/2016 at 9:06 AM, jayu969 said:

Went with Mahogany as the place I buy from with good prices did not carry Koa.  Speakers are prepped and ready.  I will post of separate thread soon on my new restoration.

Take pictures as you go... we love pictures!

21 minutes ago, BamaMike said:

I chose red birch and stained cherry (Watco Danish Oil). Love how they came out. With the red birch (which is not very RED to begin with), one can pretty much stain to a wide variety of colors.

20160522_104740.jpeg

That turned out very nice. Looks like a nice color.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BamaMike said:

I chose red birch and stained cherry (Watco Danish Oil). Love how they came out. With the red birch (which is not very RED to begin with), one can pretty much stain to a wide variety of colors.

20160522_104740.jpeg

This really looks nice, but why would you choose birch over cherry if you were going for the cherry color?

11 minutes ago, FuzzyDog said:

This really looks nice, but why would you choose birch over cherry if you were going for the cherry color?

Well... fair question, I guess. Being that it was my very first veneer job, my wife (and partner on this project) and I chose red birch for price and looks knowing we could achieve something "cherry-ish" with stain. 

That's my best answer and I'm sticking to it! LOL

You can also use a beeswax furniture polish too. It will protect the wood somewhat, but can easily be removed with naptha or similar if you want to try something else. The carpenter/cabinet maker where I used to work would used it on many project and it made a nice finish.

Bruce