Fighter jet practice flights here

Karsoncookie

A few days, every week for some years now, , we here in "Deep E TX" at the LA border, have practicing  fighter jets flyover our neighborhood.

Sometimes pretty low (my favorite) 

Rarely, but ocassionaly VERY low.

Break my windows Babies.

I'll gladly replace them.

It's SO cool, usually , once they get going, like one 10 seconds after the next.

The awesome thing is, of course, the lower they are, the less time you hear them coming.

Sure, you can hear them leaving for MUCH longer time, but they come over you with like 1 second evidence, actually less,  they are there.

Death in the air, LOVE it.    Lars

• Like 1

Lars,

What model designation are the fighters that fly over?  

When I worked for General Dynamics on the F16 program, the company pilot would practice for major upcoming airshows (like Paris or Edinburgh) at lunch time so the employees could watch.  The agility of the F16 is simply unreal when flown near the extremes of the flight envelope.

11 hours ago, Seadog said:

The agility of the F16 is simply unreal when flown near the extremes of the flight envelope

I was a flight test engineer on the F-22 on ships 8 thru 188 and we used the F-16 as a chase bird so that ATC could "see" the Raptor on radar. F-16 while very good doesn't stand a chance vs the -22.

At the last house I lived in there was a bombing range a little over 10 miles away. If it was military, flew, dropped bombs, or fired rockets it probably flew over my house at one point or another. Lived there for over 30 years so I saw a lot of planes and helicopters fly over.

It got where I could identify many of the aircraft by the sound they made. Except for the B52s. They flew WAY up there. The A10s had the most distinctive sound. When they were dropping heavy ordinance I could hear/feel the booms. I will say they were courteous about the noise. They stopped promptly at 10:00 PM.

One day I was working in the yard and heard an approaching helicopter. As the sound got louder and louder I realized that it was more than one helicopter. More like dozens. Wave after wave of Cobras and Apaches. Generally in groups of 4 a couple of minutes apart. Lasted for almost an hour. I would have loved to see what was happening on the ground at the bombing range that day.

22 hours ago, Seadog said:

Lars,

What model designation are the fighters that fly over?  

When I worked for General Dynamics on the F16 program, the company pilot would practice for major upcoming airshows (like Paris or Edinburgh) at lunch time so the employees could watch.  The agility of the F16 is simply unreal when flown near the extremes of the flight envelope.

I'm sorry, I don't know.

The thing here is we are totally surrounded by tall pines, with small areas cleared for homes, so my vertical viewfield is very narrow.

Never see em.   Lars