Off work today

Woofers and Tweeters

11 hours ago, Weber said:

Had knee surgery yesterday, 9/22/16, and can't get out for a day or three.

What did you have done to your knee?  I have a medial meniscus tear that I am trying to avoid surgery to repair.  MRI three weeks ago looked awful (at least to me).

Just now, Seadog said:

What did you have done to your knee?  I have a medial meniscus tear that I am trying to avoid surgery to repair.  MRI three weeks ago looked awful (at least to me).

Meniscus too. Info I got was some areas get blood flow and can be repaired and I've heard that if it's just right can heal itself while two other regions cant be repaired. Also, it depends on the type of damage. There is a laminate issue or a tear like tearing a piece of paper. Mine was not the type to bet stitched and they chewed out the damaged area. I put up with mine and it started feeling better, then I tried to race (5k) on it. Took a day or two to recover. Then I tried another 5k and was walking like I had a flat tire for several days and was still sore for weeks. 

Have no real advice as this is my first rodeo. A few things made me pull the trigger and take it to the shop, now: It was not going to get better without surgery; Having it looked at a few times was all out of pocket deductible (HRA); Work switched insurance plans and the HRA is going away at the end of this year, and I had enough to cover my part. Timing with insurance and deductible is something to look into as we only have a few more months this year. 

Surgery was yesterday and so far so good on recovery, thanks to Carl. 

15 minutes ago, Weber said:

Meniscus too. Info I got was some areas get blood flow and can be repaired and I've heard that if it's just right can heal itself while two other regions cant be repaired. Also, it depends on the type of damage. There is a laminate issue or a tear like tearing a piece of paper. Mine was not the type to bet stitched and they chewed out the damaged area. I put up with mine and it started feeling better, then I tried to race (5k) on it. Took a day or two to recover. Then I tried another 5k and was walking like I had a flat tire for several days and was still sore for weeks. 

Have no real advice as this is my first rodeo. A few things made me pull the trigger and take it to the shop, now: It was not going to get better without surgery; Having it looked at a few times was all out of pocket deductible (HRA); Work switched insurance plans and the HRA is going away at the end of this year, and I had enough to cover my part. Timing with insurance and deductible is something to look into as we only have a few more months this year. 

Surgery was yesterday and so far so good on recovery, thanks to Carl. 

I'm in a similar situation with the insurance.  We have almost met our family deductible this year, so this is the year to do the surgery from a financial position.  However, if it will heal without surgery, I would prefer that route. I see the surgeon again next week to make a decision.  Three weeks ago, my knee hurt so bad that I did not sleep all night (not exactly sure what I did to cause the pain, but I had been doing a lot of yardwork).  Today, it feels pretty good, but if this is something that could recur, I would like to get it fixed this year.  To complicate things, I had an ACL reconstruction on that knee 30 years ago.

BTW,  good luck with your recovery!

• Like 1

Good luck on your recovery James! I have had the pleasure of 4 knee surgeries, 2 right and 2 left. I have also outlived two of my surgeons! I got the impression when we met, that you aren't very good at sitting down doing nothing! I am the same way! I actually found the recovery to be relaxing as I knew I couldn't jump up and go do something, so I vegged out. Good change of pace for me. Enjoy the excuse to do nothing, it will help the recovery to take it easy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seadog said:

I'm in a similar situation with the insurance.  We have almost met our family deductible this year, so this is the year to do the surgery from a financial position.  However, if it will heal without surgery, I would prefer that route. I see the surgeon again next week to make a decision.  Three weeks ago, my knee hurt so bad that I did not sleep all night (not exactly sure what I did to cause the pain, but I had been doing a lot of yardwork).  Today, it feels pretty good, but if this is something that could recur, I would like to get it fixed this year.  To complicate things, I had an ACL reconstruction on that knee 30 years ago.

BTW,  good luck with your recovery!

Not sure how messed up mine was, pictures like MRIs aren't something I can tell what's what. I guess I did it running, since it came one strong a day or so after a race.  When it first happened and just a few weeks ago it was at its worse. Didn't stop or miss work, but was idling in low gear every step. 

Hopefully yours is in an area that's healable / fixable. Money's not everything, but there's no need to miss an opportunity to minimize the hardship. 

Thanks and good luck to you too. Keep us posted and ask whatever you want.

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

Good luck on the recovery.  Don't over-do it.

Just relax....  ring the bell for someone to bring you another martini and fluff your pillow.....

A martini does sound good right now...... Might get one of Carl's concoctions mixed tomorrow. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Good luck on your recovery James! I have had the pleasure of 4 knee surgeries, 2 right and 2 left. I have also outlived two of my surgeons! I got the impression when we met, that you aren't very good at sitting down doing nothing! I am the same way! I actually found the recovery to be relaxing as I knew I couldn't jump up and go do something, so I vegged out. Good change of pace for me. Enjoy the excuse to do nothing, it will help the recovery to take it easy.

Thank you sir. It seems that you were getting around great. What surgeries did you have?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weber said:

Thank you sir. It seems that you were getting around great. What surgeries did you have?

I get around fine, top speed is about 4 mph now but it gets me where I'm going. Went to visit my daughter is Seattle a couple weeks ago (business and pleasure) and we went on a couple hikes on a Sunday and put in over 7 miles, that's not bad. My surgeries have been spread out over the past 30 years. First one was the most major as I lost the ACL in my left knee. They were not real good at replacing them back then so they just took it out. I was 28 and playing soccer and just turned wrong. The others have been cartilage tears/repairs, etc. All were orthoscopic so no long recoveries. They tell me the next step is replacement, but I am holding out as long as I can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

I get around fine, top speed is about 4 mph now but it gets me where I'm going. Went to visit my daughter is Seattle a couple weeks ago (business and pleasure) and we went on a couple hikes on a Sunday and put in over 7 miles, that's not bad. My surgeries have been spread out over the past 30 years. First one was the most major as I lost the ACL in my left knee. They were not real good at replacing them back then so they just took it out. I was 28 and playing soccer and just turned wrong. The others have been cartilage tears/repairs, etc. All were orthoscopic so no long recoveries. They tell me the next step is replacement, but I am holding out as long as I can. 

I'm sure this is a cake walk compared to those surgeries. 

• Like 1