How to evaluate older Heresy's...

Stainz

I am going to look over and probably buy an older pair of Heresy's today. Their walnut veneer looks great - the enclosures appear to have been well cared for. The speakers mount from the inside and the pix do not show a Klipsch badge of any kind, other than the glued on back panel paper label. Any suggestions on how to test them, other than, hopefully, with a known CD (I lost my vinyl in a move long ago!)? I won't be expecting room shaking bass. My best Klipsch speakers currently are my pair of RB-81ii's - which I love. Thanks for the help!

Bring some music of various genres. You can usually touch the woofer to verify it's moving. Place your ear next to the midrange and tweeter and verify you hear something.

The tweeters cross over at 8kHz and when I place my ear up to my weeks old Heresy's, there's not much information coming out of them so I'd expect the same from yours. I suppose the older your ears are, the less you'll hear from the tweeters!

Bring up the volume up and listen for any rattles or buzzes. If none, you're done. And you WILL get room shaking bass. Expect bass that may be different from subwoofer-style bass, but it'll rattle the floor joists.

Well, I bought them! They sound great - more distinction in some instruments - perhaps more 'presence' than the RB-81ii's. Bass is there and well controlled - perhaps not as much or as low of it's extension as the 8" BR bookshelf speakers - but close. Certainly, they are keepers. They look great, too, really so considering their age (Model 'H-OW' & s/n '46R6XY' - consecutive.). My office stereo is an Onkyo C-7030 CDP feeding an Emotiva 'a-100 mini-X' 50 Wpc amp, which has one set of speaker outputs and no sub-woofer output. The RB-81ii's were mounted at the same height - seated ear level just above the speaker's base  - in bookshelf or corner bar/cabinet and angled similarly towards the desk chair, which is centered in the 12ft wide wall, with my chair at the middle of the 11ft deep carpet on concrete room. Equal 12 ft lengths of #14 stranded copper speaker wire left enough length to disconnect the RB-81ii's and drop the leads down to the Heresy's, which were on their level 1" risers and on either side of my desk and at 45 degree angles. The near field high end sounded better with the Heresy's tilted up, a couple of books being placed under their front risers effecting that. I know that neither speaker's placement is ideal.

The Craig's List seller from whom I bought my Heresy's also had a pair of K-horns in his garage - for $2k! My hobby room over the garage would be ideal for the big horns, if I could get them up the stairs to that room without the use of a chain saw (On the house... not the K-horns!). Firstly, I would need the $2k... I had the $375 for the Heresys (Seemed quite fair - I didn't even consider dickering!). I am so pleased with the sound from my Heresys that I have resisted the temptation to open one up to visually inspect the crossover and drivers for updates. I took some CD's, including my first, now ~30 years old, copy of Paul Simon's 'Graceland', Getz/Byrd's 'Jazz Samba', Marc Cohn 'Marc Cohn', and a DG set of Karajan and Berlin Phil. 'Tchaikovsky' from '67 (1812 Overture), an LP of which I lost years ago. I didn't get past 'Graceland' at the seller's garage - but added Pablo Cruz 'It's Good to be Live' last nite - couldn't wait for the sun to rise this AM so I could listen more.

What year were my Heresys made (Model H-OW & s/n 46R65X)? Should I check the crossovers fr 'old' caps, etc?

Thanks!

John

2 hours ago, Stainz said:

The Craig's List seller from whom I bought my Heresy's also had a pair of K-horns in his garage - for $2k!

@Stainz - where are these KHorns located again?  how did they look?  did you do any due diligence on them at all?  I know you were surprised the seller had them also, but I just had to ask.  thanks.

You got a good deal for the H1's but they typically don't vary that much in price, average is about $400.

We'd have to have some more info on the Khorns but $2500-3000 is not a crazy number for Khorns 1978 and newer.

Sorry - they were out of my price range, so I didn't look the K-horns over. He has taken his H ad down from CL (The K-horns weren't on it then - he had a tentative trade he was considering.). I'll take some pix of where they are now, but they are destined for my upstairs hobby/bonus room - when I make room, that is! Right now, I am enjoying them where they are.