how do you access digital content?

-js-

52 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'll let your ears decide at the end of the month.

I don't have a golden ear, thats for sure. Rather an ear of tin would be more appropriate. :)  I'm sure it sounds great, but anytime optical is used there are limitations.

That's why Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD is not available over an optical connection.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If you use the 3.5 mm audio jack out of the computer then the computer does indeed do the decoding.  USB, optical and HDMI computer outputs would need an outboard DAC to turn the digital signal to analog.

excellent point.  I hadn't thought of that but makes perfect sense.  the 3.5 could also be used as headphone out, and so is a "finished" product audio whereas other outputs allow continued processing.  many thanks!

5 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

I don't have a golden ear, thats for sure. Rather an ear of tin would be more appropriate. :)  I'm sure it sounds great, but anytime optical is used there are limitations.

That's why Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD is not available over an optical connection.

I ASSUMED we were talking 2 channel but this is a HT thread:blush:.  My bad.

Toslink doesn't have the bandwidth to carry Dolby Tru hd or DTS-hd but for 2 channel it will carry lossless uncompressed PCM which is how I use it.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, -js- said:

@USNRET - how does your Sonos connect to your Shield & pre-pros?  Shield may be a direct connection like HDMI, and using wireless or wired networking to the pre-pros?

Currently (likely to change when I get a NAS set up) I have the Shield in my office connected by HDMI to a TV so that I can learn how to set up libraries and such using the Plex app on my PC. I have the Shield connected to my home network (I've used both wired and wireless successfully), the Sonos is connected to the same network. In this configuration I use my iPad or phone to select music from the Shield Plex app and select network as TV input and Pre pro input.  It will be MUCH cleaner setup when I bring the Shield into the living room after I get storage settled and I will go Shield > HDMI > PrePro and then PrePro to TV with HDMI and use PrePro Zone 2 to Sonos for outdoor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I ASSUMED we were talking 2 channel but this is a HT thread:blush:.  My bad.

Toslink doesn't have the bandwidth to carry Dolby Tru hd or DTS-hd but for 2 channel it will carry lossless uncompressed PCM which is how I use it.

I didn't catch that either. For my HT the computer outputs through HDMI to the Pioneer AVR. Anything I rip or stream goes through the computer, physical media through the Blu-Ray player. 

It is easy to add an inexpensive (~$50) video card with HDMI if your old computer is lacking. My HT computer is a refurbished HP, and with a SS hard drive and HDMI out I doubt I have more than $250 in it. I wanted a decent processor in this one (I-5) so I can edit audio and video.

• Like 1

We have a dedicated, mostly, mediaPC with about 8TB of storage with another 6TB on a NAS. We have wifi for portables, but everything else is wired with gigabit Ethernet. MediaPC goes to the big system via Toslink or HDMI. Rest of family likes streaming sources direct to their devices from the net, like Youtube or Netflix, me not so much.

I don't care for Bluetooth audio at all, we don't even use it in the car anymore after comparing to Aux analog input, but I don't have the latest "audio" Bluetooth that is supposed to be better.

BTW I have two old all digital end to end Sony receivers, a 3000ES and 7100ES, both do the DAC in output stage including volume control etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeFord said:

We have a dedicated, mostly, mediaPC with about 8TB of storage with another 6TB on a NAS. We have wifi for portables, but everything else is wired with gigabit Ethernet. MediaPC goes to the big system via Toslink or HDMI. Rest of family likes streaming sources direct to their devices from the net, like Youtube or Netflix, me not so much.

I don't care for Bluetooth audio at all, we don't even use it in the car anymore after comparing to Aux analog input, but I don't have the latest "audio" Bluetooth that is supposed to be better.

BTW I have two old all digital end to end Sony receivers, a 3000ES and 7100ES, both do the DAC in output stage including volume control etc.

excellent.  thanks Mike