RB-61 II vs RP-160M

Tim

I am new to the forum and would like advice on two speakers.  RB-61 II and the RP-160M.

I am building small home theater in basement.  100 inch screen on a false wall with storage behind.  I want to mount bookshelf speakers behind wall on either side of screen or possibly below.  I will cutout a rectangular opening and slide the speakers flush and put the grille on.  Since the back of the wall goes into open storage space, i have plenty of room.

I am debating between the RB-61 II and the RP-160 M

1)  I have previewed the lower-end R-15M and the RP-160M, but not side by side.  I like the brightness of the R-15M and am curious if the "hybrid" rubberized horn tweeter of the RP-160 changes the tone of the highs.

2)  The RP-160 has rear firing bass port and the RB-61 has front firing port.  Since the speakers will be mounted behind a wall and not on a stand or shelf, will this matter.  Should the port be directed into the media room versus into a back room.

3)  The RP-160 has 90 x 90 horn.  The RB-61 a 90 x 60 horn.  Does this matter?  If I mount the speaker on the side, will this matter?

4)  In general, can I mount the speakers under the screen?  How will this affect sound field, especially with the 90 x 60 horn?

Thanks

Edited by Tim

Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

First, I have never heard the RP-160Ms but do think very highly of the RB-61IIs.

Now a couple few questions.

Is your screen an AT one?

What is your plan about the center speaker?

If your screen is AT, how about matching L-C-R?

Have you considered triple RB-81II's?

What about subwoofer/s?

Bill

16 hours ago, willland said:

Is your screen an AT one?

What is your plan about the center speaker?

If your screen is AT, how about matching L-C-R?

Have you considered triple RB-81II's?

What about subwoofer/s?

Bill

I do not have screen yet.  Concerns with AT screen:  1)  "assumed" it degrades picture somewhat at our viewing distance (11 feet) but I don't know, since I've never had one to compare.  2) cost.  I would like to do 100" wide screen (115" drag.), and need to stay under budget ($700).

- Center speaker: planning to match center to L & R in same series, (or use same speaker)?

- sub is planned for 10" Klipsch

8 hours ago, K5SS said:

I have owned both and compared them both side by side. I found the RP-160M to be the better all around speaker, especially for HT. 

With that said, sound is very objective..

You have owned both the RP-160 and the RB-61 II ?  That's awesome. 

- Can you be more specific as to what you mean by the RP-160 is better all around?

- How does the "brightness" compare?

- I have heard the R-15 and liked the brightness with the plastic horn tweeter.  I don't want to mellow it too much.

- What do you think about the forward firing port question, in my application?

Thanks so much.

11 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

Do an AT screen and grab three 61ii's or 81ii's. Better for theater use than the 160's. Vertical pattern will control reflections better. Better highs for theater IN MY OPINION. The 160's are more laid back which I like with some kinds of music. 

I like your idea with AT screen and 3 RB-61. My ceiling is very low (7'), and you mention a VERY good point about controlling reflection with the 90 x 60 horn vs 90 x 90.  hmmm.  With RB-61, i would have to orient them vertically, and not on side, under the screen.  ok.  What if I could fit them under the screen vertically?   Concerns with AT screen:  1)  "assumed" it degrades picture somewhat at our viewing distance (11 feet) but I don't know, since I've never had one to compare.  2) cost.  I would like to do 100" wide screen (115" drag.), and need to stay under budget ($700).

I would say that the RP series might not be as bright as the RF II series. They are both brighter than any DT, B&W or Martin Logan speakers I have owned. 

We we are not talking about hugely different sound characteristics, more like subtle differences. I thought the RP bass went a little lower but I always cross my speakers over at 80hz, so that wasn't very important to me.

both are fantastic bookshelf speakers and you will be very happy either way. 

If if you have the ability, running the same 3 speakers across the front is preferable. The RC-62 II was a great speaker though. 

12 hours ago, Tim said:

I like your idea with AT screen and 3 RB-61. My ceiling is very low (7'), and you mention a VERY good point about controlling reflection with the 90 x 60 horn vs 90 x 90.  hmmm.  With RB-61, i would have to orient them vertically, and not on side, under the screen.  ok.  What if I could fit them under the screen vertically?   Concerns with AT screen:  1)  "assumed" it degrades picture somewhat at our viewing distance (11 feet) but I don't know, since I've never had one to compare.  2) cost.  I would like to do 100" wide screen (115" drag.), and need to stay under budget ($700).

Yes you would want them vertical. I've seen some do them below but you have short ceiling and would put them crazy low. Plus having them behind screen or at least the center really

anchors the sound where it's supposed to be. I have friends that used to run center behind and stereo speakers out in front and they all

converted to all three behind the screen. It's just better in my opinion. 

As as far as lower quality some people say that. I'm not a huge videophile so spending 5,000 on a screen isn't an option. I spent about 550$ on my screen. It is a 138" 2.35. Would you be doing a 16x9 or 2.35? Your ceilings are low so I think 2.35 would be more immersive. Not sure how wide your room is either. 

As an owner of both models, I think the 160 is a much better overall speaker.

The 61 is mighty fine, but the 160 is much more transparent, slightly better balanced, and much more controlled with improved imaging. 

I personally score the:

RP-160m - 9.0/10.0

RB-61 -       8.0/10.0

R15m -       6.5/10.0

Don't misunderstand, if the 160m didn't exist, it would be hard to recommend a bookshelf model better than the RB-61.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2016 at 9:25 AM, Tim said:

I do not have screen yet.  Concerns with AT screen:  1)  "assumed" it degrades picture somewhat at our viewing distance (11 feet) but I don't know, since I've never had one to compare.

Distance is your friend with AT screens.  12' seems to usually be a pretty safe distance but less than that and you can see the texture on some screens during very bright scenes.  You can sometimes even see a slight texture at 12' on some but it's usually not a big deal.  Seymour makes a "UF" screen that was made for shorter distances but you have to have a bright projector, gain is only like 0.75, it's kind of thin, just not very bright compared to stuff like their XD.  But, it appears solid at any reasonable viewing distance.  Most AT screens are going to be like this to some extent unless you go with the XD which has reflective dust on it.  Hard to have a non-reflective material with a true 1.0 gain after you introduce a weave or poke holes in it.  

• 6 months later...

I don't want to derail the OP's thread but this did raise a question for me.  I have both of these and will use one set as surrounds and sell the other.  Seems like either would work fine for surrounds.  Would one set be that much better for surrounds?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but I just bought an RC-62 ii and RB-51 ii's for rear. I also have infinity R162's in the front but I think I want to go all klipsch. The RB-61 ii are hard to find but the RP-160m are available most places. Would the RP-160m's match well with my center?