old Lascala

Sjuris

Hi. 

My name is Sjur  and I live in Norway. I have just picked up a pair of Lascala on a action, almost for nothing… bu I have absolutely no idea about the history and how old they are etc… I can see that the crossover is not original and theres also mounted a Crites-tweeter. The crossover is also marked AA

I was hoping you can help me with some info and what you might think I should do to them… The sound is not very good at the moment, but I am willing to fix them and hopefully make them sound good. 

My english is not very good, so I am sorry about that, but I hope you understand me:-) 

the serial nr is 26W 313, dont know if that means anything to you… 

I was told by a friend that he thought it was mounted klipsh-horn crossovers, but he was not sure… Hope you can look at the pictures and tell me what you think: 

best regards

Sjur Teigøyen

delefilter 3.jpg

klipsch mellomtone.jpg

diskant.jpg

delefilter 2.jpg

I dont see anything immediately wrong with those la scalas or the networks... are all the drivers currently working?

Age and date of production are not an issue, they should be giving you good sound.

The issue with most klipsch heritage  speakers is that they are so efficient that they reveal bad components in your system... what are the pieces in your system?

Are the speakers being bi amped or something? I see in one picture some none factory speaker binding posts.

30 minutes ago, Schu said:

I dont see anything immediately wrong with those la scalas or the networks... are all the drivers currently working?

Age and date of production are not an issue, they should be giving you good sound.

The issue with most klipsch heritage  speakers is that they are so efficient that they reveal bad components in your system... what are the pieces in your system?

Are the speakers being bi amped or something? I see in one picture some none factory speaker binding posts.

It is not biamped but its been modifyed with biwire terminals. I use a Audio Note M2 preamp and a Audio Note Kit one 300b poweramp together with the Lascala. I sendt the serialnr to Bob Crites and he wrote that they were 1981 models. 

I am thinking about changing the KV 55 but I will open up the back tomorrow and have a look at the woofers.  

Thanks a lot for the replies guys! Its in the middle of the night in Norway now, but I will post some pictures of the woofers tomorrow:-) 

Sjur

32 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Nice pickup and welcome. Hard for me to see in the photos but is there something weird going on on terminals 1,2,3 and 4? Make sure all drivers are working by blocking the tweeter and then the mid horn individually.

I am pretty sure all the drivers are working. I will take s look it at it. Thanks:-)

Sjur

I doubt there is anything wrong with the k33 woofers because the previous owner looks to have upgraded them properly, but you never know.

There does seem to be something odd in the wiring leads... but cant tell.

Can you further describe the issues with the sound? 

4 hours ago, Sjuris said:

the serial nr is 26W 313, dont know if that means anything to you… 

Sjur, welcome to the Klipsch Forum!  :)  :emotion-21:  :emotion-22:

The W in your serial number indicates 1981.

+++

You have Type AA crossovers (XO).  They are used in both La Scala and Klipschhorn.  They are very well liked for their smooth sound and are highly sought after.  When they become more than 20 years old it is recommended the capacitors (caps) be replaced.  The white canisters on your XO's are the caps from Sonicap, and they have been upgraded from the original.  Here is what the original Type AA looks like, from a La Scala: (the red crimp on terminals are not stock)

IMG_3130.JPG

Nothing wrong with those ......To access the woofer take panel off bottom no the back. You will need new sealing material and a wide putty knife to take bottom panel off.. I do have a question about the wires going to woofer chamber there should be a terminal there. That needs to be air tight there.

If all the drivers are working I would not touch anything. Looks like someone already did the hard part upgrading the crossover for you.

What is wrong with the sound it could just be your upstream stuff causing bad sound. Why do you want to open the woofer up or change the mid driver????

I think you should take that screw out of the center of round inductor and just glue it down.

Also the bi-amp stuff should be checked to make sure it is wired up correctly or just taken back out. Since the owner ran wires to woofer with out the terminal block he could have wired woofer up out of phase. The diode protection circuit has been known to cause problems also that can be taken out. I would not change any driver till you got the speakers working correctly. That would be spending money for no improvement if the wiring is wrong.  

That wiring looks very messed up....where do those 2 wires go from 1 and 2 terminals ???

As far as the stock picture  above those RED crimps are stock. I got an original crossover that's exactly how they are.

• Like 1

Hi Sjur, and welcome...

All good advice being given here. I love LaScalas, and they are very efficient and should work fine with your 300B amp (I use 2A3 amps). As Rick says, the hole where the wire goes to the woofer should be sealed. Other than that, a clearer picture or sketch/drawing of how the connections are made would help us understand what may be happening.

Did the previous owner have the same problem with the sound? Do you have a DMM/DVM (digital multimeter/digital volt meter) that you could use to check things out? One at a time, to not get lost, you could remove the driver connections to isolate the drivers from the crossover and take resistance readings and post here. Since things have been upgraded (wiring, capacitors, tweeter...) the parts are probably fine, so as Rick mentioned above, it may be the biwiring scheme that is either not correct or causing you problems.

You are six hours ahead of us on the East coast of the US, so what time for you is best for more real time interaction?

... and we always like pics.

Bruce

Hi again guys and sorry for the late reply, its been a busy day... I am really overwhelmed by the asnwers and the effort from you guys! Thanks!!!

I have checked the connections to the crossover and they seem ro be tight and okey, but I have not filled in the hole for the subwoofer wire yet...  I took some pictures from the second crossover as well so you can have a look.  this is not my first pair of horn speakers cause I also had a pair of Avantgarde Duo. But i have a serius issue with the upper part of the tweeter-range ( dont know if thats the correct word in english) its sharp and when i turn up the volume it seems to be totally loosing control and the sound is very messy... Just for fun I hooked them up to my second set of amps today, Denon PRG2000RG and the Denon POA3000RG. I have tuned down the gain very much on the Denon amp, but I feel the problem is still there. I am thinking og maybe changing the midrange horn and the driver to Fastrac and a pair of A-55G form crites, but I dont want to spend that money just yet...

best regards

Sjur

8 hours ago, ricktate said:

As far as the stock picture  above those RED crimps are stock. I got an original crossover that's exactly how they are.

Really?  Wow, my bad.  :wacko:

I wasn't sure about the red terminals so I looked in the back of my Khorns before I posted that.  My 1978 AA's do have a crimped terminal, but it isn't the red ones, so I ASSUMED somebody replaced them.

Thanks for the clarification.