KG 4.2 vs KG 4.5

Futurist

I wanted to get some speakers just for cranking loud rock music. These are the two I'm going to pick from.

I found them locally for a good price.. These look like they are almost the same form the specs.. Is there any reason to go for the KG 4.5

Because it does take up a lot more space. For some reason I like the idea of having a 2 woofers with the KG 4.2.. Then The 1 woofer with the KG 4.5..

I do know that these aren't the best by any means.. Just 80's speakers.. I have never heard them.. But I did hear the KG 1.5 and was surprised that it wasn't to bad at all.

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 2.06.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 2.07.11 PM.png

They are basically the same speaker, one has a passive and the other a port, both front firing. The 4.5 is a bit little taller setting the horn closer to proper height. I'd buy the one you  can get the best deal on. The 4.5 is the one I would buy personally, less moving and wearable parts.

• Like 1

Agree with JJ, purchase the pair that is the best deal.

Just to clarify the 4.2 has a passive woofer and the 4.5 has a port.  Both models were made in the mid '90s.

The extra 7" height on the 4.5 gives it more of a slender look that the 4.2, usually a higher WAF factor.

The KG line in general is excellent for rock!

I've owned both these models at the same time.  After A/Bing the 4.5 seemed to dig deeper, despite the specs, but the 4.2 bass stayed tighter at higher volumes.  YMMV......different room and gear makes different colors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

I have compared the kg 5.2 and the kg 5.5. I felt that the 5.2 had a very natural mid to high range sound. The 5.5 had more bass output, but the mid to high areas didn't sound nearly as good

While I agree with you this seems like an apples to oranges comparison. The "5" series is a single active woofer vs a dual active woofer where the 4.2 & 4.5 are basically the same; single active woofer systems but with different port styles and cabinet dimensions.

I agree that the 4.2 is probably slightly better. I'm betting they switched to port for the 4.5 to reduce cost. 

Though in reality, the 4.2, 4.5, 5.2, and 5.5 all sound really similar. I've never had a chance to A/B them, but my memory shows little distinction. 

• Like 1

I've owned both and the 4.2 is the better of the two sound-wise.  Has some sweetness to it, yet great detail, and good bottom end.  Start either model about 7 feet apart toed in towards your listening position and adjust from there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thebes said:

I've owned both and the 4.2 is the better of the two sound-wise.  Has some sweetness to it, yet great detail, and good bottom end.  Start either model about 7 feet apart toed in towards your listening position and adjust from there.

Oh,  It was a noticeable difference .. Because I can no longer get the 4.2.. I was thinking about getting the 4.5 for $175 on Sunday...

The only other I can find is the 3.2's

I just picked up a mint pair of KG4.2s from a friend to use with an integrated amp just to get some sound in the bedroom. The posts I've read on this site suggest they are decent for loud play, but not much else.  And I was happy with the way they played on a NAD integrated. Just for fun, the other day I hooked them up to my main system to see what they could do in a high-end system. WOW, what a difference! They really opened up. I can't believe the imaging I'm getting. Great tonal balance, a sweet but detailed top end, accurate bass. These will stay in my main system and my expensive speakers are demoted to the bedroom.  I can't believe these aren't regarded as a great value in the audiophile community. Probably because they have a horn tweeter, which I would have never guessed could be this smooth. Try these with a tube, or tube-like solid state amp, and I think you will be surprised.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gnote said:

YES ! 

Great Rock n Roll Speaker.

I just got home with the KG 5.5.... freakin KILLER!!!!.. I can't turn them up loud because my neighbors are home.. But they have that perfect balance I have been looking for.. They sounds like a PA system!.. Now I feel like selling my RF 82's and getting another pair of these.. It's to bad they don't make them anymore..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

You like the 5.5's better than the 82's?

Maybe.. but I can't say for everything tho.. maybe electronic music, movies, and anything that has a really glossy production the 82's are a better fit. But I do love the 82's and think they're gold. I think I'm just kinda shocked of how thick the mid's are because I'm so use to the 82's..