Ever Wonder What Music Is Playing Across the Pond??

rockhound

53 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

iTunes used to have Virgin Radio from London--i would listen to that often.  The radio station changed it’s name--went to their website to listen and was told that I can’t listen from the US.  I enjoy listening to stuff from around the world.

Yea me too, especially old British rock and roll. I know we invented it, but I think they perfected it.

• Like 2

That's pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing!  I'm listening to Cool FM from Belfast right now, and I was listening to a Quebec City station a few minutes ago.

The bigger dots represent groups of stations, usually in cities, and a list of the stations appears at bottom right of the screen.  Just click on the one you want to listen to.  Then it takes 5-10 seconds to "tune in" and get a strong and clear signal.

I like how when you scroll away from a station, the signal gets weaker and noisier, like you really are tuning away from it.  It's a bit like exploring the shortwave dial in the old days, with the added feature of seeing where in the world you're tuning into.

EDIT:  Now I'm listening to Manx Radio from the Isle of Man.  Sounds like I'll be able to hear the TT coverage live this summer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Islander said:

That's pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing!  I'm listening to Cool FM from Belfast right now, and I was listening to a Quebec City station a few minutes ago.

The bigger dots represent groups of stations, usually in cities, and a list of the stations appears at bottom right of the screen.  Just click on the one you want to listen to.  Then it takes 5-10 seconds to "tune in" and get a strong and clear signal.

I like how when you scroll away from a station, the signal gets weaker and noisier, like you really are tuning away from it.  It's a bit like exploring the shortwave dial in the old days, with the added feature of seeing where in the world you're tuning into.

EDIT:  Now I'm listening to Manx Radio from the Isle of Man.  Sounds like I'll be able to hear the TT coverage live this summer.

Those races are on my bucket list.

• Like 1

To attend?  That would be pretty cool.  There are group tours that might make the arranging more simple.

Have you been to the Daytona 200?  I've gone five times (3 times as a mechanic in the support races), but from all I've read and seen, the TT is a bigger event, with more going on.  However, Daytona is hard to beat for the number of oddball vehicles that roll in every year, from bikes to trikes to shortened or otherwise modified cars.

Daytona used to get about 15,000 spectators, back when it featured World Champions riding factory prototypes.  The last time a World Champion rode there was probably 1986, when Eddie Lawson won, riding a factory FZ750 Superbike.  I wasn't able to find the current attendance numbers, but they're watching 600 Supersport bikes.  At the TT, you're seeing the best road circuit racers in the world, travelling at over 200 mph for long stretches.  It attracts 40,000 spectators most years, so finding a hotel room could be tricky.

The TT:  http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/11/02/iomtt-isle-of-man-tt-delivers-significant-growth-in-2015

Here's a depressing article about the 200.  I hope they can find a way to bring it back to what it was.  Daytona still has great prize money, but attracts few international riders.  Laguna Seca is probably the most important bike race in America nowadays, with MotoGP bikes and riders, and a really big attendance, but it's a really long trip for fans in the East.  The 21-24 hour drive from Toronto to Daytona was long enough.  Travelling from Toronto or New York to California takes more than piling into the van for a day.

http://www.theridesofar.com/2013/03/remember-when-the-daytona-200-meant-something/