Isle of Man TT / Motorcycle Races

Woofers and Tweeters

11 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

His last win there was on a Honda VTR1000r (RC51 in the USA) I have one of these bikes in my garage...

Wow, that's crazy to keep an RC-51 like that. 

If I had a bike that gorgeous, it would be in my living room.  :wub:

+++

EDIT:  Road racers are crazy.  I would never race the Isle of Man. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2point1 said:

No , I spent 2 years as a wrench.

Then I hooked up with a road racer for a 3 years..

That's cool. Anyone we might have heard of? 

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Wow, that's crazy to keep an RC-51 like that.  

If I had a bike that gorgeous, it would be in my living room.  :wub:

+++

EDIT:  Road racers are crazy.  I would never race the Isle of Man. 

Dave...why do you think it's crazy? I't just a street bike. It's actually very easy to ride. It's a torquey V-twin, doesn't require a lot of shifting. Probably no harder to ride than your Suzuki, maybe a little more leaning forward.

42 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

That's cool. Anyone we might have heard of? 

Dave...why do you think it's crazy? I't just a street bike. It's actually very easy to ride. It's a torquey V-twin, doesn't require a lot of shifting. Probably no harder to ride than your Suzuki, maybe a little more leaning forward.

I raced MX, cross country, enduros, hare scrambles and International Six Day Trials 2-day qualifiers and did some dessert riding over a ten-year period.  Most of the time when I fell down I got dirty.  When you road racers fall down you get hurt, as in you could get killed, hurt.

It scares me and just seems crazy to go that fast.  I don't mind shooting 60 mph off a jump downhill, but to go 120 mph into a high speed sweeper at 13,000 RPM?  I wouldn't even think about doing that.  I'd finish last in every race.

I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek, but the reality is I have immense respect for road racers and the skill it takes to keep those bikes upright at speed in corners.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I raced MX, cross country, enduros, hare scrambles and International Six Day Trials 2-day qualifiers and did some dessert riding over a ten-year period.  Most of the time when I fell down I got dirty.  When you road racers fall down you get hurt, as in you could get killed, hurt.

It scares me and just seems crazy to go that fast.  I don't mind shooting 60 mph off a jump downhill, but to go 120 mph into a high speed sweeper at 13,000 RPM?  I wouldn't even think about doing that.  I'd finish last in every race.

I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek, but the reality is I have immense respect for road racers and the skill it takes to keep those bikes upright at speed in corners.

I always thought people that blasted through the woods, inches from the trees, hitting a jump and then 60' in the air, then leaning the wrong direction in the turns were crazy! It's amazing how easily the pros can switch from dirt to asphalt and still be quick. Nicky Hayden is probably the best in the world at that.

4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I know right? If I had one, it would look like my leathers: It would have battle scars from dancing on the other side of the line. 

I miss road racing :(

I did have it on a track one time, it was fun but I just didn't want to damage it, and you know that's not the right state of mind while on the track. What's the saying....don't bring anything to the track that you're not willing to throw in the dumpster at the end of the day.

I did race a mini-RC51....a Suzuki SV650 Superbike. I actually turned faster laps on the SV, 90 hp, 320 lbs, and full race suspension. It's a fun little bike.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Schu said:

As great as the Isle of Manns is... and it is a great race... the North West 200 is really extreme. It's not a time trial, it's an all out race head to head.

The NW200 is run on a 9 mile long course that is basically 3 long straights in the form of a triangle.

The IOMTT is run on a 37 mile long course all over the island. It takes years just to learn it. Even being a heads up race, the NW200 is not even close.

21 hours ago, cincymat said:

Norton readies superbike for the 2017 Isle of Man TT

a7ce174e-bed4-4cee-9d8c-c4c8cafd5c38-Nor

Mark

Sexy bike. I wonder what engine configuration it is? I see 2 pipes coming out of the back, so it's some kind of a V...maybe a V-4. On recent race bikes, you can see the lack of a rear tail section, I wonder if it's more aero related.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Sexy bike. I wonder what engine configuration it is? I see 2 pipes coming out of the back, so it's some kind of a V...maybe a V-4. On recent race bikes, you can see the lack of a rear tail section, I wonder if it's more aero related.

From a newsletter I subscribe to from the Isle of Man TT website:

"The SG6 will feature the V4 Aprilia CRT motor with Norton’s own V4 engine being raced in 2018. Heavily based on the TT racer geometry wise, the V4 SS road bike is almost identical to the SG6 TT bike in terms of frame stiffness, weight distribution and chassis."

More information here:

Norton fields all Australian 2017 TT Team 

Mark

• Like 2

That's very interesting. That Aprilia V4 CRT is the engine they used in their current Moto-GP bilke. That's a monumental task by Norton to developer their own engine, probably to save money, especially if they're using it in a street bike. It says it has 230 hp, I wonder how much power the street version will have? I will guess around 200. I love V-4 bike engines.

I have never heard of the Northwest 200, thanks for the heads up.

I do not think the Moto GP guys would stand a chance at the IOMTT.

I do miss the Indy Moto GP as The Circuit Of The America is a bit to far for me to ride from Indy, especially in late April, of course I could swing by Hope on the way home.

Edited by Davis

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Yours?

Yeah... I bought it in  2004'ish, and sold it late 2006 when I moved to Memphis from so cal.

It is a Aprilia Nera in case some wanted to know. 1 of 50 made... I have more pictures somewhere.

Full Superbike titanium exhaust... factory magnesium rims... magnesium cases... full carbon bodywork including tank from the factory... Superbike forks with radial monoblock calipers (nearly unheard of back then)