Crazy bicycle race crash video

2point1

• Moderators

Nice pic, you really do not look  a day over.......well you do not look your age.

As I tend to do I watched that video, which led to another about ships crashing, and ended up with funny russian videos. Wasted the last hour, I get sucked in by videos.

• Like 2

That is the thing about clipless pedals. Your bike is your ship and you are the captain- thus you always go down with the ship.  :(

I actually shattered my front teeth in High School because I had a downhill bike with clipless pedals (shoe attaches to the pedal) and went over the handle bars on a dirt jump and went face first from a 15 ft fall still attached to the bike.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dtel said:

Not good, and of all places on a bridge, I would think no one was seriously hurt ? Some expensive bikes flying through the air. 

I am going to put good money on a broken collar bone for the poor yellow helmet guy at the 00:23 mark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Yeah I was okay just a little shook up.  Bike repaired like new.

Holy heck, THAT WAS YOU?!?!

Which one, or what number?  Give us a little more detail.

And man, props to that one guy for having the incredible reflexes to catch and hold on to that bridge wall!  :o

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Holy heck, THAT WAS YOU?!?!

Which one, or what number?  Give us a little more detail.

And man, props to that one guy for having the incredible reflexes to catch and hold on to that bridge wall!  :o

No Dave just having some fun:P  If I fell like that at my age (68) I would never get back up.

• Like 2

Been there. Was traveling a wee bit fast down MT. Shasta and my rear wheel decided to blow three or four spokes at once. Unbelievable. Tolerances for those wheels are very tight. So traveling at a high rate of speed leaning hard into the corner ( We riders LOVE down hills. Work hard for them) right there on a bend it decides to blow. Wobble, wobble, wobble goes the back wheel. Down I go. Bike & I skid for a good ways onto the gravel shoulder heading towards the drop off. Between the friction of the bike and myself managed to stop a few feet short of sayonara. Phew. 

Had a nice patch of "bacon" on my butt, thigh and elbow (What riders call road rash) for some time but miraculously healed up very well. Back then I had tight leather toe straps and maybe that helped me as an anchor to slow down. Who knows. Just glad to be here.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Pretty amazing really, you don't get that kind of view from the normal shots of racing. These people, well this sport does not get the recognition they deserve, in small circles maby, but overall they are kind of overlooked. Just the physical part alone is equal to any other sport, the competition is crazy during an event. 

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

Pretty amazing really, you don't get that kind of view from the normal shots of racing. These people, well this sport does not get the recognition they deserve, in small circles maby, but overall they are kind of overlooked. Just the physical part alone is equal to any other sport, the competition is crazy during an event. 

There is a ton of strategy involved as well that is easy to overlook. Its not a normal race in the sense that everyone goes 100% the whole time. Team will pull each other and take turns plowing the wind for others to draft ect. Then at the end there is the decision on when to break away from the pack and try to shake anyone trying to draft off you while you break then overtake at the last min. Or if you break too soon you may run out of steam before the end but if someone else breaks you need to be ready to follow or hope they run out of steam while the pack catches up and is fresh.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Rx.....that sounds scary. The term "road rash" brings back bad memories :(

Sorry Cept. But that's sort of par for the course. Pay to play.

Fortunately that was my only real bad crash that was way beyond my control. In those younger years I pushed the limit my of my cycle and it was great. I like to think I was pretty safe guy and I always attributed that to my "pre-flight" checks and maintenance before going on any ride. After that you better bet I checked my spokes by squeezing them from time to time. 

9 hours ago, twk123 said:

There is a ton of strategy involved as well that is easy to overlook. Its not a normal race in the sense that everyone goes 100% the whole time. Team will pull each other and take turns plowing the wind for others to draft ect. Then at the end there is the decision on when to break away from the pack and try to shake anyone trying to draft off you while you break then overtake at the last min. Or if you break too soon you may run out of steam before the end but if someone else breaks you need to be ready to follow or hope they run out of steam while the pack catches up and is fresh.

Lol. Yes a lot of courtesy and smack talking in those packs. Haha. 

Once had an idiot that I was eyeing and decided to break away front the pack and go into the head wind alone. Fell behind as they zoomed ahead. Something about that mix I didn't care for. 

Come up on the riders and a few have crashed. Found out the idiot (THAT idiot) in front of the pack in head winds decided to ease his back a by lifting himself up this slowing him down a ton. That's fine if your by yourself. With riders an inch of your rear wheels? Can you say ramming speed? 

Some people don't THINK. One usually *waves* for the rider behind you to take over or you break right and let the pack pass you. One doesn't just sit up. 

Yeah, fun times in those packs. A Zen like state almost.

13 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

Lol. Yes a lot of courtesy and smack talking in those packs. Haha. 

Once had an idiot that I was eyeing and decided to break away front the pack and go into the head wind alone. Fell behind as they zoomed ahead. Something about that mix I didn't care for. 

Come up on the riders and a few have crashed. Found out the idiot (THAT idiot) in front of the pack in head winds decided to ease his back a by lifting himself up this slowing him down a ton. That's fine if your by yourself. With riders an inch of your rear wheels? Can you say ramming speed? 

Some people don't THINK. One usually *waves* for the rider behind you to take over or you break right and let the pack pass you. One doesn't just sit up. 

Yeah, fun times in those packs. A Zen like state almost.

Lol that sounds about right. I never did any road races but I have a lot of respect for it. I did a lot of Cross Country mountain bike racing in my youth and a few 24 hr races on a 4 man team. That is a surreal experience in itself as you are so exhausted at 3:00 am you start seeing things in your little headlamp light or you will ride for an hour and suddenly have no recollection of the trails you just road or how you got to where you are at.

I remember doing a short track race in Durango and this other rider and I were fighting on a dirt road to be the first into a single track trail. The trail kept coming closer and we were neck and neck not wanting to budge until suddenly we locked handlebars as the trail hit forcing both of us to either side in the brush. As luck would have it, my path was clear and he hit a log. I looked over and saw him come up and fly over the handle bars right next to me for a split second then disappear as I fought my back back on the trail. He was cool and we had a laugh about it after the race as it could have been either of us.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, twk123 said:

Lol that sounds about right. I never did any road races but I have a lot of respect for it. I did a lot of Cross Country mountain bike racing in my youth and a few 24 hr races on a 4 man team. That is a surreal experience in itself as you are so exhausted at 3:00 am you start seeing things in your little headlamp light or you will ride for an hour and suddenly have no recollection of the trails you just road or how you got to where you are at.

I remember doing a short track race in Durango and this other rider and I were fighting on a dirt road to be the first into a single track trail. The trail kept coming closer and we were neck and neck not wanting to budge until suddenly we locked handlebars as the trail hit forcing both of us to either side in the brush. As luck would have it, my path was clear and he hit a log. I looked over and saw him come up and fly over the handle bars right next to me for a split second then disappear as I fought my back back on the trail. He was cool and we had a laugh about it after the race as it could have been either of us.

"have no recollection of the trails you just road or how you got to where you are at."

Did a couple centuries back in the day never 24 hr. It wasn't the century that got me it was the next day. I was riding to Canada and normally do 50-70 miles top a day. That day I did 113 and cruzed into the Lava beds national park late at night DEAD TIRED. Next day was an easy, don't laugh,  20 mile ride. So normally I would have done let's say 60 one day and 70 the next. Nope. Not me. Genius me. 

Do you know those 20 miles was THE hardest I've ever done? I was falling asleep while riding! Lol.Tired, tired tired.  But I was stubborn and wanted to get to my next campground and was determined to stay on schedule. Luckily the road was flat and no cars that day. I was a mess and looking like Benny hill on a bike for the first time.

• Like 2