Crazy. Oroville dam may collapse!! Wow.

Rxonmymind

It has THE largest spillway in the US. It partially collapsed  leaving a 200ft gaping hole. 

Things got worse and now evacuation orders were given to various towns and cities. 

A co-worker had to leave his work as his family had to hot foot it out of town. I told them to come stay with us if needed. 

Only in America our infrastructure is breaking. The emergency spillway started to carve a hole into the dam and thus sent out mandatory evacuation.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132332499.html

12 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

It has THE largest spillway in the US. It partially collapsed  leaving a 200ft gaping hole. 

Things got worse and now evacuation orders were given to various towns and cities. 

A co-worker had to leave his work as his family had to hot foot it out of town. I told them to come stay with us if needed. 

Only in America our infrastructure is breaking. The emergency spillway started to carve a hole into the dam and thus sent out mandatory evacuation.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132332499.html

yeah - sad state that some of our infrastructure is in.  very sad.  hopefully the worst to come of this is inconvenience & outrage.  it could be so much worse.

thoughts & prayers for all those in the area.

14 minutes ago, -js- said:

yeah - sad state that some of our infrastructure is in.  very sad.  hopefully the worst to come of this is inconvenience & outrage.  it could be so much worse.

thoughts & prayers for all those in the area.

The sad part is that tax dollars are laid aside for this and the money is diverted elsewhere.  Prayer is always good but, without action by the people, little will change.

2 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

The sad part is that tax dollars are laid aside for this and the money is diverted elsewhere.

yes, it is sad.  I agree completely.  shameful is, I think, another accurate description.  I was about to stray down that path of poor budget management but opted not to.  (me, trying to not pi$$ off too many folk on an otherwise decent Monday for most folk unless you happen to live in the valley below the lake & dam)

1 minute ago, -js- said:

yes, it is sad.  I agree completely.  shameful is, I think, another accurate description.  I was about to stray down that path of poor budget management but opted not to.  (me, trying to not pi$$ off too many folk on an otherwise decent Monday for most folk unless you happen to live in the valley below the lake & dam)

That is why these things are happening.  To many people are staying quite and not bucking a system that is not working right.  Why?

12 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

Only in America our infrastructure is breaking.

Worst part is that this is merely symptomatic of a far larger problem.  National debt or not, fixing it is NOT optional and failure to do so will result in a MUCH larger national debt as well as economic deterioration.  Getting on it now will put a lot of people to work as well as save money in the long run.  This isn't a political issue and all citizens should ensure it is not made into one.

Dave

• Like 2

well Derrick, you may be exactly right.  I'm not sure it would do much at all for ME to be outraged.  I'm not directly affected in this case.  but in the cases that I am directly affected, I like to think that I do speak out on issues that strike a nerve with me.

why don't more speak out?  IDK.  and only speaking is not the answer.  by that I mean look for example at the political related protests of liberals now that Pres. Trump is in office.  yelling, rioting & the like alone are not the answer.

speak your piece (peace? idk.  whatever)  as part of a logical discussion, prepared to compromise, give & take, with the intent of trying to arrive at an agreeable conslusion, is in my opinion what must take place.  and that is probably what you meant.  speak, discuss, and take action.  get involved but be rational.

4 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Worst part is that this is merely symptomatic of a far larger problem.  National debt or not, fixing it is NOT optional and failure to do so will result in a MUCH larger national debt as well as economic deterioration.  Getting on it now will put a lot of people to work as well as save money in the long run.  This isn't a political issue and all citizens should ensure it is not made into one.

Dave

yes, yes, yes!  well said Dave.

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Agreed. 

With all those Yale, Harvard, Duke,Stanford graduates etc in Congress can they not think about the infrastructure of the U.S.? Can we divert maybe just a tiny fraction of a trillion dollars in defense & aid to other countries towards getting our house in order? 

Many cities are on borrowed time with their pipes that were laid with cast iron back in 1940's. That's gas pipes and water. Example. A neighborhood here in Richmond California found that out as a gas main, which is a BIG pipe blew. Cause? Old, old rusty pipe. The extra tax money that Pacific gas and electric asked for years ago and got to supposedly "fix" this issue never did go towards that. Where did it go you ask? Bonuses. Yup. Executive bonuses. 

The diversion of monies at least here in California that we pay at the pumps, license renewal, bond measures never get to where it's supposed to. I'm no legal eagle but it seems the accountants are smarter than lawyers to be able to figure ways around laws.