Is This My First Craigslist Scam?

thebes

Usually the wording in their response throws a red flag, they don't talk good!

I always mess with them. I'll say "sure, sounds like a great deal". They will reply asking for PayPal address and my home address. I'll send them some fictitious info. This will go on for a few days then they'll move on. I'll send them a final response saying my item is all boxed up ready to go.

Cash only and meet in a public place is the only way I do local deals any more. I just sold a Sunfire 12" active driver to a guy who was ripped off by craigslist buyer about a year ago. He said he sold a pair of speakers to a guy, had him over to the house for a demo and he bought the speakers and all was fine. About 3 months later his house was broken into and they cleaned him out, he didn't even think of the guy who had bought his speakers but a couple of weeks later the cops called him and told him they had found some of his stolen property and when they asked him if he could identify the thief low and behold it was the guy who had bought his speakers months back. So, even people who seem legitimate and even buy things from you may in fact just be someone casing out your place.

15 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The typical one is just a fake check but the smart one is more evil than that.  What happens is that they will overpay you (notice the movers fees), and let you deposit the check.  Everything seems good for longer than usual.  They will then come back and say they overpaid you.  You, thinking it's legit, because you know, it's been a few days and nothing has bounced, think it's legit so you "refund" part of the money.  The problem is that they've set up some kind of shenanigans to where it bounces around many accounts and won't bounce for like 2 weeks later.  My day job is even with a bank data processor and I still can't explain it but whatever they do, it drags out the bouncing for a very long time so that it looks more legit than a straight up bad check.  With scams like this you have no recourse.  If somebody tries to drain your account just because they have your account information that's on the bank, but if you just write a check thinking it's a refund except it's not, that's more complicated. 

The odd thing is that they usually don't target small transactions, it's usually bigger things.  Here's an example of what happens with a trailer like what I deal with:

1. I list a $2,000 trailer.  

2. Somebody says I will pay for your trailer plus $1,000 for the movers to, well, move it.  

3. They send a $3,000 check, and I cash it.  

4. A little while later they say oh, I messed up and overpaid you, the mover only wants $300.  How about you send me a $700 refund?  

5. Being a big dummy and seeing that the check hasn't bounced, I do so.  

6. Two weeks later, check bounces, and I'm out $700.  

I had my 1st golf lesson scam the other day. The GM who also teaches passed it on to me. 

3 boys, 2 hours a day for 2 months. How much? I tell them 12K,

No problem, they are in Europe but will pay with a CC.

They want to charge 15K, when the driver brings the kids out, just give him the 3K in cash

OH, OK

Starting early this year

Mark

If you have sold a lot of items on craigslist and this is your first scam email, consider yourself lucky.  I get up to 10 scammers a day. I list a lot of stuff there so I get bombarded with scams. The bay is full of thieves and scams as well. For this reason and others I am selling all my equipment and getting out of the business.  Good luck and best wishes, I think it will only get worse.  Dean

• Like 2