Is This My First Craigslist Scam?

thebes

Put an Ah Tjoeb tubed cd player on Craigslist for $225. got an inquiry, responded and here's his reply:

"am ok with $225,am not in town right now because of health issues am attending to but I will send you cashiers check,it will include my movers payment,my mover will come for pick up as soon as you get it cashed from your bank.okay?"

Gotta be a scam, right?

I've sold a dozen or more pieces of stereo stuff on my local Craigslist without incident until now. 

Anybody know the particulars of this come-on?

That so called "check" would post but come back as fraudulent in a few days after you released the goods... on top of it all, you would be potentially in trouble for fraud yourself if you could not back up where the check came from or if you cashed out the money/closed your account/tried to open a new account with the check

225.  Really? 

I listed a pair of speakers about a month ago.  I had so many people try similar scams I had to change the ad to pick up only.  Cash only.  If some one tells you they want to talk to you but they only use Google phone, don't respond and definitely don't answer the phone by entering the 2 digit code they give you.

Smelled funny and thanks to you guys I know its funny.  I've always heard about Craigslist scams, seen plenty of other types in my life. However, I've always had wonderful experiences with Craigslist buyers so I guess I was reluctant to find out the magic has worn off.

Sigh.

13 minutes ago, jwc said:

Uh..... scam I see is a awesome CD Player for 225 bucks.  Does it work?  Have the upsampler?  Do you have a picture of it?

hey....you might be scammin' us?

LOL.  Here's my ad:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/6011997453.html

It's the 99 model without upsampler and I've thought of offering it up here.  However, except for offering up a horn, which I felt could be a useful piece for someone, I've stayed away from selling here.  I'm here primarily for fun and to learn, not to peddle.

It is a cheap way to experience tubes, and tube rolling, if you only play cds or stream, but it's also 17 years old, which is several lifetimes in the realm of cd players and DACs where quality playback improvements happen at a frenetic pace.

• Like 1

When I'm selling or buying on CL, it's cash only, and meeting in a public place to do the deal.

Just last week, I had a guy back out of a CL deal an hour before we were to meet.  Could have been a legit reason for the cancellation or the "buyer" deciding that there was no opportunity to scam me (does anybody here need a Getzen cornet?)

Someone explained this scam to me once. They send you a check linked to an account with insufficient funds. You try to cash it, it bounces and now you wait for the bank to handle it. Meanwhile, the bank notifies the "buyer" that their check bounced and supplies them with your routing number and bank account number. Now they have your info to steal your money. It's never about the items that you are selling.

The typical one is just a fake check but the smart one is more evil than that.  What happens is that they will overpay you (notice the movers fees), and let you deposit the check.  Everything seems good for longer than usual.  They will then come back and say they overpaid you.  You, thinking it's legit, because you know, it's been a few days and nothing has bounced, think it's legit so you "refund" part of the money.  The problem is that they've set up some kind of shenanigans to where it bounces around many accounts and won't bounce for like 2 weeks later.  My day job is even with a bank data processor and I still can't explain it but whatever they do, it drags out the bouncing for a very long time so that it looks more legit than a straight up bad check.  With scams like this you have no recourse.  If somebody tries to drain your account just because they have your account information that's on the bank, but if you just write a check thinking it's a refund except it's not, that's more complicated. 

The odd thing is that they usually don't target small transactions, it's usually bigger things.  Here's an example of what happens with a trailer like what I deal with:

1. I list a $2,000 trailer.  

2. Somebody says I will pay for your trailer plus $1,000 for the movers to, well, move it.  

3. They send a $3,000 check, and I cash it.  

4. A little while later they say oh, I messed up and overpaid you, the mover only wants $300.  How about you send me a $700 refund?  

5. Being a big dummy and seeing that the check hasn't bounced, I do so.  

6. Two weeks later, check bounces, and I'm out $700.  

• Like 1

Haha, I still have a $2400 cashier's check. Every email I got from the scammer was a different email account. Check came from a totally different state, on and on. I finally emailed that they thought I must be stupid but my friends at the sheriff's office were very interested.

Bruce