Weird Home Network Interferrence

artto

19 minutes ago, artto said:

FWIW, Comcast is coming out today to replace the router.

After a phone call with NAD, and after reading numerous reviews of supposedly excellent routers, similar issues appear to be experienced by lots of users after a few months. The NAD engineer also said if Comcast replaced the router it would probably clear things up - maybe for a couple months, and then I would probably start experiencing the same issue again. (makes sense since I didn't experience this for a while when I switched to Comcast about a year ago - and then started this problem, just like with AT&T).

In the meantime, after doing some research I decided to buy a Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC2600. After explaining my situation to the Best Buy sales rep, his suggestion was to continue using the Comcast router but change it to Bridged Mode and connect the Nighthawk to it. Is this a good idea? It seems like the Comcast router would still be the weak link, unless of course there's more to this that I don't understand yet (highly likely). I may still want to keep the Comcast router around as a backup (or purchase another far less expensive router later when needed for a backup). I just thought it was odd that so many people started having WiFi issues in particular after a few months even with the latest greatest routers. Also, while I really don't care about the phone land line, the Comcast "package" is cheaper with it, and I forgot about the printer/fax which I occasionally need the land line for.

Since you're already paying for the Comcast router monthly and get a landline to boot I'd just stick with that. If it messes up in 6 months have Comcast replace it again.

If you can get rid of the landline, get your own cable router and a separate wireless router. I did that and haven't had any issues. Saved the monthly cost of the land line and router. If you research look at DSL reports for information on routers. Some of the newer ones have issues. 

28 minutes ago, artto said:

FWIW, Comcast is coming out today to replace the router.

After a phone call with NAD, and after reading numerous reviews of supposedly excellent routers, similar issues appear to be experienced by lots of users after a few months. The NAD engineer also said if Comcast replaced the router it would probably clear things up - maybe for a couple months, and then I would probably start experiencing the same issue again. (makes sense since I didn't experience this for a while when I switched to Comcast about a year ago - and then started this problem, just like with AT&T).

In the meantime, after doing some research I decided to buy a Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC2600. After explaining my situation to the Best Buy sales rep, his suggestion was to continue using the Comcast router but change it to Bridged Mode and connect the Nighthawk to it. Is this a good idea? It seems like the Comcast router would still be the weak link, unless of course there's more to this that I don't understand yet (highly likely). I may still want to keep the Comcast router around as a backup (or purchase another far less expensive router later when needed for a backup). I just thought it was odd that so many people started having WiFi issues in particular after a few months even with the latest greatest routers. Also, while I really don't care about the phone land line, the Comcast "package" is cheaper with it, and I forgot about the printer/fax which I occasionally need the land line for (which the Nighthawk doesn't have).

I get what he was saying about bridged mode and I ran like that for years with the ISP's router bridged to to a Sonicwall router.  Just understand that you might not get much support from Comcast after that unless they support bridged mode.  AT&T did not so I was using unsupported settings.  Worked great though.  You could give it a try to see but I don't know that it will address the source of your problem.

I would ditch the Comcast router if you get the Nighthawk . I cannot tell you how many times I have been in a Best Buy store and overheard the sales associates spouting off either complete lies and/or complete stupidity . The geek squad is even worse ! The only thing I will caution you on is , Comcast will not support customer owned equipment so if your networking is something you are not comfortable with I would consider staying with theirs . The Comcast techs are hit or miss as well , more miss especially with networking. Good Luck !

• Like 1

I just saw you have phone service as well, which means you will have an EMTA  (Phone/Internet) all that I know of have the router built in. I would suggest just using it , save the money on the router purchase, and keep Comcast on the hook for your network troubles :D

Comcast replaced the Router.

The NAD tech engineer I spoke with was right (so far). With the new Comcast Router everything works (so far - should fail again in a couple months). I'll be returning the Nighthawk for now.

Immediately after verifying the C446 & TV worked together I configured the Gateway to use a Reserved (static) IP Address for the C446 in hopes of avoiding future conflicts just case that was somehow related to the problem developing.

I agree with all of you on previous posts about "just use the Comcast Router". If it fails again in a few months it's their problem. If they don't like it they can supply a different/better Router. And yes, after reading numerous one-star reviews of many of the newest high performance Routers, many appear to have similar issues like I'm experiencing. Another thing I forgot about regarding deleting the land line - I need it for fax from the printer sometimes, so I guess I'll need to keep it anyway.

Thanks to everyone for jumping in and helping on this!!!!!

I really appreciate it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

artto is now a happy camper :wub:

No relation to your corrected problem but with my install of Windows 10 32 bit doing updates it will block anything using my older router until it is finished downloading the updates then everything else starts working. I can speculate  now that they are adding some new trick stuff instead of sharing things. This only happens with Windows 10 so I went back to Windows 7.

JJK