media NAS home network security

-js-

maybe some of you guys who hang out here can offer some advice.  I considered posting in another forum but was unsure where it would be most appropriate, so I'm starting it here.

(if admin thinks it should be moved, by all means, do what you think best)

I'm planning on standing up a home network storage device (a NAS, network attached storage device for those of you in the lingo) to consolidate various hard disks of mainly audio, with plans of saving copies of my vinyl to facilitate easier play without getting up to change the album or disk etc.

do any of you have concerns about unauthorized leechers accessing your digital storage?

are there any recommended precautions in addition to changing default name & password to access?

thanks for the advice.

-John

Now this is not my forte (haha), but I believe you can set it up to only be accessible over a hardwired (LAN) connection (less convenient but more secure). Depending on what you get (I recommend a RAID) your hard drives most likely will NOT be plug and play and will have to copy over manually.

27 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I assume you will be hooked up to the web?  If so, I would recommend a VPN for a start.  Fully wired or wifi?  

well, yes, it probably could be accessed via the web.  but I don't need access from the web.  in fact, I probably want to prevent it.  

I have a gateway from my ISP (AT&T) with built in wireless & 4 port network switch.  because I have all of those ports in use, I have a Netgear gigabit switch cascaded (connected) to that, and will probably connect my NAS to that 2nd switch.  no, I will not be running wireless on the NAS.  I don't think it has it.  if it does, I think I can live without it, using my other devices to browse media on the NAS over the wired network.

and yes, as I dig into the NAS setup, I will be looking to see what kind of RAID tech it supports & use that just for redundancy (if I remember correctly, for example, using striping, I could lose 1 disk & still be ok, as long as I don't lose more than 1.)

I would go Raid 5 (safest and fastest of the raid configurations). Thats what I use at work (media manager) with over 30TB of data collected over the last 3 years. Had one drive fail on me and was happy to have it. For Raid 5 though you need at least 3 drives. Depending on what you want to do with it and a budget will help decide on what type of raid you want/need. Think about everything you could possibly want to do with it and then add another disk space lol. It adds up quick. Good luck with your search.

3 minutes ago, Innocent_George said:

I would go Raid 5 (safest and fastest of the raid configurations). Thats what I use at work (media manager) with over 30TB of data collected over the last 3 years. Had one drive fail on me and was happy to have it. For Raid 5 though you need at least 3 drives. Depending on what you want to do with it and a budget will help decide on what type of raid you want/need. Think about everything you could possibly want to do with it and then add another disk space lol. It adds up quick. Good luck with your search.

thanks.  and yes, the space consumed does add up quickly.  the device I'm getting is one removed from production so not a lot of choice there, unless I want to spend $.  it is a 6 bay device, something like this I think  Amazon - Netgear product link

additional budget - none.  at last check my device works fine.  so my expectation is to spirit it home, set up my volumes etc & get to work copying media to it.

Hey 6 bays is great! It will allow you to upgrade storage in the long run as long as the enclosure doesn't fail. But then you just get into backup redundancy and talk about expensive for absolutely nothing.... You have the original, a copy of it, the raid. No need if its all personal to have another backup of a backup! I know you said something about not wanting external access so make sure to turn off the cloud function when you get home! Good luck, hope it all works out for you, and that all is well!

9 minutes ago, Innocent_George said:

Hey 6 bays is great! It will allow you to upgrade storage in the long run as long as the enclosure doesn't fail. But then you just get into backup redundancy and talk about expensive for absolutely nothing.... You have the original, a copy of it, the raid. No need if its all personal to have another backup of a backup! I know you said something about not wanting external access so make sure to turn off the cloud function when you get home! Good luck, hope it all works out for you, and that all is well!

correct - I know of no need for access from anywhere outside.  only folks I want to have access (that I know of now) are Me!  and only from home.  no need I can think of for anything otherwise.

so confirm cloud access, if any, is disabled.  and with RAID, I have redundancy addressed.

any other concerns - network accesses, "hidden defaults" that would be a security leak, anything like that?  thanks all.

-John

I use a QNAP here https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W05BN8322&cm_re=TS-451%2b-8g-us-_-22-107-252-_-Product

May be overkill or not I don't know but I wanted Plex onboard. Easy enough to access via the web for the kids to watch on the iPads / phones on trips via password or secured off www. Also has security camera app.