Halley's comet meteor shower tomorrow

dtel

• Moderators

Wow you have a good memory, your right I did have a problem with the ducks but they are all gone, they either flew off with the other ducks form the pond across the street or got eaten by something, I didn't do it.

You even got the coffee right, your good. Our daughter had left that cup in the car it was full of ink pens and I stole it. :lol: We have about a dozen different coffee cups and no two alike but some are to small, some to big. My favorite is just like the one in the pic but it's white, the problem I have with white is it can be clean and you drink one cup of coffee and it looks like it was not washed in a week.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

impossible.  ever see those giant French ones?  Americans think they are cereal bowls with handles.

I do have one like that, I got it because it big and it is clear glass, I wanted to try it. I don't use it or any of the big cups anymore  because I drink way to much coffee already and the bigger cups had me drinking more. I didn't have to stop and fix it so I would just keep drinking. 

• Like 1

Nothing seen.

Gave it until 10 here to go outside. Not ideal as such with the moon and citylight  to determine anything. After about 40 50 foot behind the place, of a sudden a firefly went off, like a flash. Thought no, not having a meteor headpiece, for a half a millisecond gave me a thrill. Good night so far for fireflies.

Well, I'm cloudy with no chance of clear shot at the sky.  I'd love to break out my Celestron C8 and give it a gander.  But, I'm in the Northwest.  It sort of rains here, often.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ACV92 said:

Well, I'm cloudy with no chance of clear shot at the sky.  I'd love to break out my Celestron C8 and give it a gander.  But, I'm in the Northwest.  It sort of rains here, often.

I have heard that about the NW...:) Maybe those in a hammock will bring it for us.

• Moderators

I went out the last two nights, there were quite a few faint looking shooting stars and a few bright ones. I think the moon was lighting the sky so much it made many look faint, being darker would have helped, I guess. Most of what I seen was short not like the normal crossing the sky for long distances type.

But it was clear and cool so it was fine, It's November when the Leonid meteor showers happen, last year it was the most I had ever seen ever, like one every couple of seconds or more.  

I found this

2017 Meteor Showers

Meteor Shower
Name Date of Peak Moon
Quadrantids Night of January 2 Sets around midnight
Lyrids Night of April 21 Morning crescent
Eta Aquarids Night of May 5 In view most of night
Perseids Night of August 12 In view most of night
Orionids Night of October 21 Evening crescent
Leonids Night of November 16 New Moon
Geminids Night of December 13 Morning crescent

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtel said:

I think the moon was lighting the sky so much it made many look faint, being darker would have helped,

Yep.  Waxing Gibbons was incredibly bright to the point I kept thinking "When will the sun get utterly out of sight?"  Got up an went out about 5AM when the moon had finally set but didn't see anything in that bit of open stars above our woods.  Will try the Perseids!  Fact is, I am NEVER disappointed looking up at the sky from that piece of ground.

Perhaps you and Christy can take a night or two over there on one of your Arkansas trips this season.  It's only about an hour and a half of really pretty drive, and the accommodations, while not fancy, are comfy. 

Dave

• Moderators

That would be nice, it just seems we have so much to do we always run out of time, like with everything else, but it would be nice, it's always good to get away from everything..

42 minutes ago, dtel said:

That would be nice, it just seems we have so much to do we always run out of time, like with everything else, but it would be nice, it's always good to get away from everything..

Well, like I said, even one night when ya'll are on a work trip to Hope would be a nice getaway, and it really isn't much of a drive and very, very pretty.  Nothing to do when you get there but enjoy the environment, sit around and chat, eat, and sleep.  Pretty much everything you need already there. 

Dave

• Like 1