Newbie Looking For a Place to Begin

unclefred

Hey, new guy here. I've been lusting for some old time, big displacement Klipsch, like the Chorus, Forte etc. However, the only Klipsch I've ever heard were Corner Horns in the shop I worked in years ago. They had good qualities for sure, but I found the T-35 tweeter to be brutal. With that memory I've held down my longings. So I wonder if I should start with something other than the big Heritage line to find out if I actually like the Klipsch sound? Do you think a cheap used KG4 or something else would be a good way to find out if I want to jump in? Another caveat is that I was a working musician for years and all of the pa systems had horns. Great for pro sound but I'm not sure about at home.

Welcome unclefred.   Frist, what type of room will the speakers go in and what are you music preferences.  Loud, not ear bleeding, rock vs classical, etc.  Any plan on certain gear like tube amps vs SS, phone vs digital, etc.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum UncleFred. The KG-4 is actually a good entry into the Klipsch family of speakers. I know many people that enjoyed them for years starting out. They are not overly trebly, not overly bassy, kind of a neutral speaker with very good clarity. I still own a pair of Walnut KG-4 that I presently use in a 5.1 as my mains. Because I have a fairly small room and the system has a sub the KG-4's fit nicely.

If you let us know where you are located, what kind of room you want to put the speakers in maybe we can help you dial something in.  

Tim

• Like 3

OK, here are the standard questions.....(and probably more to follow)

1.  What kind of room are you working with?  Dimensions, ceiling height, rugs, furniture?

2.  Type of music you listen to, and level you listen

3.  Your other components.  Amps, preamps, source, turntable?

4.  Vinyl, CD, streaming, etc?

5.  Your budget

Any other info.  Photos of the room.....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Welcome unclefred.   Frist, what type of room will the speakers go in and what are you music preferences.  Loud, not ear bleeding, rock vs classical, etc.  Any plan on certain gear like tube amps vs SS, phone vs digital, etc.

I would try them in my main system first, which is in a 12x24 room, speakers on the short wall. It's a good sounding room without anomalies to speak of. My current speakers are VMPS 626R, planar mid, emit tweeter, solid bass down to 37 -3db. They are very good and won't be going anywhere. They sound best with power and high current so my amp is a big CODA stage amp 200/400 a side. But, my preamp has three gain settings so I could set it at near zero gain. No tubes. I do have a couple Tripath amps that sound good at about 25 watts a side. 

I could put them in my HT room which is 25x30, powered by a Panasonic all digital amp at about 30 watts a side. It sounds very good and I think a probable good match.

I listen to all kinds of music. Loud, soft, dynamic, or gutbucket blues.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

OK, here are the standard questions.....(and probably more to follow)

1.  What kind of room are you working with?  Dimensions, ceiling height, rugs, furniture?

2.  Type of music you listen to, and level you listen

3.  Your other components.  Amps, preamps, source, turntable?

4.  Vinyl, CD, streaming, etc?

5.  Your budget

Any other info.  Photos of the room.....

Hi Jim, my room is well damped with drapes, carpet, soft furniture. 9 foot ceiling. As far as budget, I'm looking for used stuff, noting the crazy ebay prices lately that I hope will return to normal. I missed on some Fortes on CL that already had crites mods for $475. They had some bad finish flaws though.

I'm thinking that it might be better to start somewhere lower to see what I like before committing to the big boys.

Edited by unclefred

It sound like you have a good room for the speakers.  !2 X 24 should work out great.  Now, you need to figure out if you are a Heritage guys or more contemporary.  LaScala's, RF 7 II's or something non Klipsch to fill the bill.  I can't think of a Klipsch offering that will need 300-400 watts.  I would start by hearing some Heritage speakers vs the Reference line vs the RP line and go from there.  Your existing amplification should cover all the above choices well enough to cover the spectrum.

• Like 1

I wonder if the KG 4.2 or 4.5 would sound best. There are a set of each locally for about $300. There is a Forte one for $650, which I find a bit high. I offered $500 but haven't heard back.

I'm just thinking that if I don't care for the Klipsch sound $300 wouldn't hurt as badly. :)

Edited by unclefred

A great deal of variety will be heard in 'the Klipsch sound". Reference and Heritage, for example, have very different sounds. Audition, audition, audition is as true as location, location, location.

SSH

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, unclefred said:

I'm still waiting for Forte's or Choruses to appear. I did get to hear some KG4.2's and although I liked them overall, the top end is lacking and doesn't compare well with what I have. 

Use a tool called SearchTempest.  Put in your zip code, how far to search, search terms...

searchtempest.com

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Use a tool called SearchTempest.  Put in your zip code, how far to search, search terms...

searchtempest.com

You can also shop buya.com to search pawn shops across the US!

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 0:25 PM, unclefred said:

I wonder if the KG 4.2 or 4.5 would sound best. There are a set of each locally for about $300. There is a Forte one for $650, which I find a bit high. I offered $500 but haven't heard back.

Your instinct to offer $500 instead of $650 for Forte was a good one.  You are in the right price range for that model.

I track Heritage prices so If I can help you with pricing I can send you my spread sheet.  (offer is open to all Forum members, btw.)  If you need pricing for KG's, RFx etc there are others here with a better feel for their value than me.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2017 at 5:28 AM, DizRotus said:

Try to listen to Heritage in a good setting with quality amplification.  You might find that it was not the T-35 that you found objectionable.

Welcome, BTW.

Welcome!

I agree that you might find that it was not the T-35 that was the culprit.  Bad recordings have many warts exposed by the midrange and the tweeter on the Klipschorn.   In my music collection, all reel to reel, all SACDs, all DVD-As, a well as all Blu-ray movies sound fine.  Several CDs and radio broadcasts (including HD radio) have problems.  The current K-77-Fs (very similar to T35s, but not made by Electro Voice, and with flat magnets, rather than round) are front mounted for less diffraction, and all crossover slopes are now steep. 

• Like 1