At Ease Civilian? Never...

The History Kid

Mike probably has more experience in this area than I do; however, i believe each job is assigned a GS level. Steps are merely “longevity”raises--pay raises within the same GS Level. Once you’re maxed out, to get further raises, your job would have to be reclassified at a higher GS level. 

correct me if i’m wrong mike -- it’s been many years for me.

GS-1 thru GS-14 then 'executive level'
Steps is simply time served and is automatic. Each Step is a pay increase. Step 10 is max.
On entry GS level is pretty much set but step can be (slightly)  negotiated based on prior experience. I did not know this when I went in at GS-11 Step 1 with 20 years prior experience; my bad. Should have held out for at least step 4-5.

12 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

How do steps typically work juxtaposed to grades?  I've been told the position I'm heading into has a maximum of Step 10 at GS-13.

Look at the link I posted earlier
Down left side is Grade
Across is step

Capture.JPG

5 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

So is it somewhat correct to assume GS is based on your "rank" in the department and steps are based on your length of stay?

pretty much sums that up.
There are adders. Do you carry a gun? Flight pay? Guaranteed Overtime because you are on call? Many things can be added but the things posted are minimum.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like a pretty straightforward system then.  I just looked it up on OPM too.  I've had so much time to sit on this whole thing it's a wonder I've thought of anything else for a while now.  I'm in the basement of the museum as a volunteer as it stands now 5 days a week.  The museum is newly under the command of the ASC-HO too from what I understand.  Guess that made me a more appealing candidate...

1 minute ago, USNRET said:

Be sure that you understand pension / retirement / benefits (health / dental) ASK when the final job offer is made so YOU KNOW.

I have a whole list of questions I plan on pitching to CPAC when they get back to me.  I actually have a whole folder that's been dedicated to this whole process.  As soon as the fact that the application went through USAJobs, things got real in a hurry - so I was quick to pull as much info and documentation together as possible.

Funny. I came to work one day and found a 3 1/2" floppy on my keyboard with a sticky that said "fill this out and give to ****". I did. About 2 weeks later I got a phone call at work that asked when I would be able to take a call at home. I said about about 2 hours (I had been at work about 30 hours at that point; such was my days then). Got home, phone rang, 10 minute conversation, week later offer call was made. My mistake was not knowing to negotiate steps on hire in based on experience.

I'm not sure what kind of bargaining ground I have as a current student on the Pathways program.  I have an anticipated graduation date of May 2018 for a BA.HIST and BA.AHIST.  I figure I can ask about the benefits, but do I have any bargaining ground?  I feel like that's a game for someone whose been around longer than a volunteer slot for a few months.

Just now, The History Kid said:

I'm not sure what kind of bargaining ground I have as a current student on the Pathways program.  I have an anticipated graduation date of May 2018 for a BA.HIST and BA.AHIST.  I figure I can ask about the benefits, but do I have any bargaining ground?  I feel like that's a game for someone whose been around longer than a volunteer slot for a few months.

I suggest a very polite question at the appropriate moment. Does my education and experience allow for step increase upon hire?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I suggest a very polite question at the appropriate moment. Does my education and experience allow for step increase upon hire?

strike "allow for" ; substitute "merit a"
Make them answer the question>

• Like 1

Gotcha.  Thanks!  This has been really helpful.  

I'm anticipating based on how long it's taken between steps so far that I might hear back again in August with the firm offer if all things go well.  My fingers are crossed!

There are many, MANY things in play. The hiring entity needs a person (you) but really can't hire due to funding; think CR (continuing resolution since no government budget has been passed). They want you but can't do jack. Questions along that line will not enamor you because the gov doesn't want to admit it however, clever questions will give the impression that you know how that works.

When appropriate (I use that again but that is up to you to feel out the conversation): Is this position currently funded or is it contingent on CR (you know the lingo) or final FY (fiscal year) budget approval?

All the above is not to be confrontational BUT to give the panel impression that you are aware of their problems in staffing and how YOU may or may not be available. I use this when I know that I am the guy and they want (or can not get) anyone else.

Hope this all works for you. Use what you want and disregard the rest. It is all about YOU and my style certainly doesn't work for anyone but me. In my 50 years of employment I have never had one day of unemployment or one interview that I wasn't offered a job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I  I spoke with CPAC today to double check if there were any documents that they needed from me that I hadn't sent yet.  They didn't seem to be too worried - but also specified they hadn't gotten to any of the responses yet.

Congrats on the job offer!  If they need any further reference, you can use my name. 

I'll be happy to tell them you have great taste in American speakers!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, USNRET said:

When appropriate (I use that again but that is up to you to feel out the conversation): Is this position currently funded or is it contingent on CR (you know the lingo) or final FY (fiscal year) budget approval?

I will keep that in mind also!

Thanks Dave!  I'm lucky to have found you guys! :)