Tools

Coytee

Opinions please, since I know y'all are full of em! :huh:

Have a Milwaukee circular saw.  Have 8' worth of straight edge.  "works" to get me a (basic) straight cut from time to time however, I'm intrigued on the track saws.  I'm guessing they can get me a straighter cut over a longer run.

Question is...  which one?  Are the more expensive ones (Festool) really THAT much better than the lessor priced?

Since I have a Milwaukee....but I do NOT have an oscillating multi-tool....something which I understand can be very very handy when you have a need for something like that.

Instead of a track saw, do I get an oscillating tool?

(mind you, this would be something my wife would use more than she'd use a track saw)

Hard to justify either one (the Festool brand) given how expensive they are and just using them around the house....  then again, I've always felt buying good tools is worth it.

So, first question is:  Track Saw or Oscillating?

Second:  Which brand?

(I admit I really like some of the accessories like the plunge cutter attachment that Festool has but there may be others that I'm unaware of that do similar)

• Moderators

I would guess it would depend on how much you would use it, I would think the festool is the best but would it get much use ? If it's only on rare occasion, just use a good straight edge and your Milwaukee, if carefull this works well, not perfect but well enough for most things.

The Oscillating is cheap enough to get one anyway, never tried one don't know how well they work.

The Festool is something like $600 (with the attachments)

Wife wants to make a couple doors (keeping the track saw near top of conversation)

Wife wants to do some other projects that would be in the realm of the oscillating saw...  (keeping it near top of conversation...)

Am I good enough to freehand a straight cut even with my 8' edge?  probably not compared to someone who is genuinely 'good'

Am I good enough compared to a klutz?  maybe.

For me, these are sort of like the biscuit joiner I have.  Something that I've used maybe three times but, each time it was used, it was the proper tool for the job and made it go much betterer (for you Carl)

I keep flipping back/forth on which one is higher on the list...  If I look in the mirror, I'm guessing I'll sooner or later, have both.  I should probably just shut up & grab the first one...

My father and grandfather always warned against cheap tools, but "cheap" and "inexpensive" are not synonymous.  I still use some of my grandfather's tools.

Have you considered used or "factory reconditioned" tools?  Those can be a great value, especially for tools that only get used occasionally.

There used to be a used tool store nearby.  It was like heaven.  Run in and grab a single odd sized socket for $1 or more expensive power tools for a fraction of their new cost.  While I appreciated the value, part of me wondered about the back stories.  How much of the stuff had been stolen and fenced, or what personal hardship forced a prior owner to "sell" tools at giveaway prices?

That moral dilemma is gone, as it went out of business.  Now that emergency socket costs >$5 at Home Depot or Sears -- are they still in business?

I bought my track saw originally for building subwoofers and can think of nothing better for precision cuts and ripping long sheets.  A lot of carpenters around here pretty much moth balled their table saws when they got the track saw.  I've also used it to cut doors down and rip flooring.  It's as accurate as you can measure.  Once you're comfortable with it there's nothing like it.  You might look at the Dewalt version. I think they're a hair cheaper but you have to pay for precision.

29 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I bought my track saw originally for building subwoofers and can think of nothing better for precision cuts and ripping long sheets.  A lot of carpenters around here pretty much moth balled their table saws when they got the track saw.  I've also used it to cut doors down and rip flooring.  It's as accurate as you can measure.  Once you're comfortable with it there's nothing like it.  You might look at the Dewalt version. I think they're a hair cheaper but you have to pay for precision.

With a track saw and a good blade you can pretty much hold a tolerance of +- .004" for 8 foot lengths.

JJK

I have never regretted spending too much on quality tools; but I have regretted not spending enough. The latter can be a complete waste of money.

Anybody ever heard the saying "the cheapskate spends the most?"; or "buy the best and only cry once!"

Buy the best tools you can afford--which is going to be different for everybody.

Edit: But also, I would never buy a Festool anything if I thought I was going to use it once or twice and shelve it forever--that would also be a kind of waste... So I appreciate the dilemma.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

My father and grandfather always warned against cheap tools, but "cheap" and "inexpensive" are not synonymous.  I still use some of my grandfather's tools.

Have you considered used or "factory reconditioned" tools?  Those can be a great value, especially for tools that only get used occasionally.

There used to be a used tool store nearby.  It was like heaven.  Run in and grab a single odd sized socket for $1 or more expensive power tools for a fraction of their new cost.  While I appreciated the value, part of me wondered about the back stories.  How much of the stuff had been stolen and fenced, or what personal hardship forced a prior owner to "sell" tools at giveaway prices?

That moral dilemma is gone, as it went out of business.  Now that emergency socket costs >$5 at Home Depot or Sears -- are they still in business?

I was just informed a couple of Saturdays...that I will be receiving

vintage Rockwell and delta power tool..that where my grandfather's

and father's..along with a vintage lathe. And my father's machinists

tools and micrometer...my father is a retired machinist...

Well, the Oscillating tool won.  I just ordered the version of it with the plunge base and....whoo hoo...  they're tossing in a free cap!  

Now, I'm going to pass this off as an early anniversary present...  I'll let her decide (since she wants to build a pair of doors) if she'd like to get me the track saw for same!

Yes, I know this is breaking the rule of never get the wife an electronic item....  but she loves stuff like this.  (will hate the price which I won't tell her)

Besides, if I can get her to buy the Track saw, then I've made out like a bandit!

:ph34r:

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Endo said:

I have never regretted spending too much on quality tools; but I have regretted not spending enough.

That's the truth. At one time I bought cheap tools, when they didn't work well or last I changed that. I now buy better tools and research them to death before I buy , so far they are all working as new doing what they should. 

13 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

I was just informed a couple of Saturdays...that I will be receiving

vintage Rockwell and delta power tool..that where my grandfather's

and father's..along with a vintage lathe.

I got some of my dad's tools also, all old and very well built, a Delta bandsaw, old heavy duty Craftsman drill press, and a industrial stand mounted circular sander, plus a smaller table mounted belt sander. All work like new, him and my uncle had a shop to work on helicopters and light planes it was called Aircraft Mechanics.

13 hours ago, Endo said:

^Nice. Another benefit of buying the kind of quality that outlives you is the legacy made available to others (reminds me of some speakers I have)

You're right, I bought a old Foley Belsaw 12" plainer, this thing is so heavy I had to make a steal carriage with wheels, or it could not be moved, also added a Grizzly 8" x 75" jointer which seems to be made really well, it's on a carriage also. I would imagine the tool I inherited and the ones I bought will outlast me. 

Better tools just work right every time and last.

But with all my woodworking tools the biggest thing I had to learn ............was patience, you can't rush it and expect it to come out nice. 

Coytee, it's easy, just say I would love to build the doors but I would need a track saw to do it, BUT the saw and me building the doors would probably cost the same or less than buying the doors, but whatever you want. 

• Like 1