New listening room photos (con't)

edster00

Okay,

Here are some more photos of the old 2 channel + TV room. The colors in the photos are terrible due to the incandescent lighting in the basement and my camera's inability to adequately adjust for it. My wife says the walls are taupe and the carpet is supposed to be a lighter shade of taupe. The carpet does not look as bad in real life as it does in these photos!

2channelroom1.jpg

2channelroom2.jpg

2channelroom3.jpg

2channelroom4.jpg

2channelroom5.jpg

Now I need to figure out how many of the acoustic panels to hang and where to position them. I draw the drapes over the french doors when listening also. I'm looking for some kind of artwork to hang to break up the monotony of the walls. I want to recover the acoustic panels but my wife doesn't think that is a good idea...!

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

*coming soon* Supratek Syrah preamp

McIntosh MCD 7007 CDP

Sony S9000ES SACD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connect Speaker Cable

Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects (preamp->amp)

DIYCable Superlatives (CDP/SACD/->preamp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (Tuner->preamp)

f>

s>

This message has been edited by edster00 on 09-23-2002 at 05:50 PM

Edster,

Congrats on a excellent listening room! I would love to have a room like that for my Khorns. Now if I could just talk my wife into it. Smile.gif

Regards,

Greg

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1987 Khorns Mains

1976 LaScala's Rears

KV-1 Center

KSW-12 Sub

Two-Channel

Fisher 800C Receiver

1987 Khorns

Teac CDP

Pioneer TT

Thanks for the comments!

Justin-of course you can use the photos if you like...you can even correct the carpet color to better match the walls if you like!

Greg-it was actually the wife's idea to finish off the room. Where in Indiana are you located? I have in-laws near South Bend (Mishawaka).

Flason,

You are correct, my chair is the one nearest the remotes as long as "she who must be obeyed" allows it!

Normally, I only have one chair in use and it would be positioned a little closer to the front of the room (about 15' out from the wall behind the K-horns), and centered between the K-horns, where the axis of the horns meet. That's where the "real" sweet spot is. If I am using two chairs I pull them back so the axis crosses in front of the chairs to widen the sweet spot.

Upstairs I rarely get to use the remote, but I rarely sit up there anyway...

White, clean & neat. Great choice of "color" for a total package.

The top shelf on the wall balances that entire end of the room.

It has also given me a couple of ideas for shelving in my 11 x 18' Forte enhanced listening room.

If it sounds half as good as it looks, I'd probably pay to hear it!

NP Warren Haynes - Tales of Ordinary Madness

Thanks again for the comments!

Danny-The acoustic panels are "Echo Busters" brand that I bought during AudiogoN's "Auction for America" (or something like that) after the 9/11 attack. They seem easy to make, a wood frame with some lightweight batting inside and covered with whatever cloth you like.

digjr-The K-horns are Rosewood Lacquer finish.

Oh, please! As if somebody really lives there, yeah right. This is obviously a show room for a very high end, specialized dealer who is too opinionated to sell the more expensive stuff like Avantguarde horns and Wavelength amplifiers. I bet however, that behind the half walls, there is tons of cables and stuff! Nobody in real life has an audio room this nice! This is one the nicest, most tasteful, most practical and possibly best loudspeaker placement and layout I have seen.

X How did you determine the proper position for the Khorns once you decided to seat them away from the corners?

X Are the walls solid?

X How do you get behind the TV to the amplifiers?

X Where are the subs?

space_cowboy-the dimensions of the room are ~13½' x 24'. If I had used the natural corners of the room the axis of the speakers (the sweet spot) would cross way too far forward in the room. I used the false corners to angle the speakers deeper into the room so I could sit closer to the center of the room. This did narrow the distance between the K-horns but it moved the point where the horns cross to ~15' from the wall behind the speakers. When I am using both chairs I sit back ~18', the speakers cross in front and it widens the sweet spot. I can move the chairs forward or backward to really listen at different angles.

Colin-I drew a picture on a napkin to lay out the room! The false corners are tight against the back and side walls but they are free standing and I can still change the angle a bit if I need to. As I stated above I also have plenty of room to move the chairs forward and backward to listen at different angles.

The walls are not solid, they were built according to the "Dope from Hope" article describing how to build them. They are 2'x4' corners with lots of bracing and stuffed tightly with insulation. The made a big difference in the quantity and quality of bass response. I did put a plywood floor on the corners for the K-horns to sit on rather than directly on the carpet.

The amplifiers are on wall mounted shelves and I can reach the the amps easily to change speaker wire, cables etc. I also made the false corners short so I can get the the ALK crossovers and horns if I need to (show them off). The only hard thing to reach is behind the TV...that is a real chore! No subs, just the K-horns. I don't miss the sub at all after getting the Moondogs. Of course I am only using this for 2 channel listening although I did wire it for 5.1 if I decide to do that later.

Steve-I addressed the cross over point above, and you know you and Becky have an open invite to 'come on down!

I don't know if this is going to work but here is a link to the "Dope from Hope" false corner paper:

click here I believe it was Q-Man who sent me the Dope from Hope article, and his false corners were my inspiration! Thanks Q-Man!!