Ankle surgery, Damn this hurts!

jorjen

First of all let me say I am bored to tears so please forgive all these recent threads. Just trying to pass the time.

Well as you may have gathered from my other two recent threads regarding PD and Sleep Apnea, the wheels continue to fall off the wagon so to speak. Lol!

I've been dealing with a work related ankle injury on and off since October, 2015. Started as nothing more than a roll type ankle sprain or so it was thought. Went on so long that it started to alter the basic structure of my left foot/ankle. I tried to work through the pain for over a year(stubborn SOB that I am)and finally could no longer walk. I have been off work(I am a Certified Water Operator for the city we live in) since 12/29/16 going through the process one painful step at a time.

Finally had my first of four scheduled surgeries to correct the issues/injuries on 06/23/17. They are scheduled two weeks apart with the next one being this coming Friday and the last one on 08/11/17.

Anyway, thought you Medical type Cats might be interested in what is being done. You will have to look these up(except the first one)  as I did if you are interested in the exact procedure. Interesting stuff. However It's all Latin to me....

Stage 1: Medial displacement Calcaneal Osteotomy with probable percutaneous tendo-Achilles lengthening versus Gastrocnemius lengthening.

This is the one that was performed on 06/23/17. The heel was broken/cut away from the foot and moved over toward the inside to help create an improved arch. Because of the added tension on the Achilles from displacing the heel it did in fact require lengthening during the procedure through three other smaller incisions. The Anesthesiologist could not get the Nerve Block to work so as you can imagine I was in one Helluva lot of post-op pain until about Tuesday. Had oral pain meds to help me through of course. Ever since I lost four fingers on my right hand to a Shotgun blast almost 50 years ago I have had a very high tolerance for pain as you might imagine. Well let me tell you this SOB hurt!

Stage 2: 07/07/17. Opening wedge medial Cuneiform Osteotomy.

Stage 3: 07/21/17. Evans Calcaneal Osteotomy.

Stage 4: 08/11/17. Debridement and repair of the posterior Tibialis Tendon with Flexor Digitorum Longus augmentation. Reconstruction of the Spring Ligament.

I am staring at roughly two months in a cast after the last one. A walking boot and PT after that. I am hoping for at least light duty at work by January. We will see but I am positive and confident in my Surgeon and the outcome.

Oh yea, and thank God for my Knee Scooter! LOL!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

There's no such thing as a minor surgery and major ones hurt like hell.  Be sure follow the Dr's instruction to a T and don't try to get back on it too soon.  Good luck, I hope it heals well.

I am a stickler for "by the book" on this kind of stuff. I also never miss a PT appointment and push myself as far as the Therapist will let me. Quickest way back to work with good healing.

I am a firm believer in PT for the quickest way back to complete health. ESPECIALLY when it comes to range of motion stuff.

Thanks Carl!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jorjen said:

First of all let me say I am bored to tears so please forgive all these recent threads. Just trying to pass the time.

Well as you may have gathered from my other two recent threads regarding PD and Sleep Apnea, the wheels continue to fall off the wagon so to speak. Lol!

I've been dealing with a work related ankle injury on and off since October, 2015. Started as nothing more than a roll type ankle sprain or so it was thought. Went on so long that it started to alter the basic structure of my left foot/ankle. I tried to work through the pain for over a year(stubborn SOB that I am)and finally could no longer walk. I have been off work(I am a Certified Water Operator for the city we live in) since 12/29/16 going through the process one painful step at a time.

Finally had my first of four scheduled surgeries to correct the issues/injuries on 06/23/17. They are scheduled two weeks apart with the next one being this coming Friday and the last one on 08/11/17.

Anyway, thought you Medical type Cats might be interested in what is being done. You will have to look these up(except the first one)  as I did if you are interested in the exact procedure. Interesting stuff. However It's all Latin to me....

Stage 1: Medial displacement Calcaneal Osteotomy with probable percutaneous tendo-Achilles lengthening versus Gastrocnemius lengthening.

This is the one that was performed on 06/23/17. The heel was broken/cut away from the foot and moved over toward the inside to help create an improved arch. Because of the added tension on the Achilles from displacing the heel it did in fact require lengthening during the procedure through three other smaller incisions. The Anesthesiologist could not get the Nerve Block to work so as you can imagine I was in one Helluva lot of post-op pain until about Tuesday. Had oral pain meds to help me through of course. Ever since I lost four fingers on my right hand to a Shotgun blast almost 50 years ago I have had a very high tolerance for pain as you might imagine. Well let me tell you this SOB hurt!

Stage 2: 07/07/17. Opening wedge medial Cuneiform Osteotomy.

Stage 3: 07/21/17. Evans Calcaneal Osteotomy.

Stage 4: 08/11/17. Debridement and repair of the posterior Tibialis Tendon with Flexor Digitorum Longus augmentation. Reconstruction of the Spring Ligament.

I am staring at roughly two months in a cast after the last one. A walking boot and PT after that. I am hoping for at least light duty at work by January. We will see but I am positive and confident in my Surgeon and the outcome.

can we get a foot pic !!

19 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

how long are you laid up for....

heal quick my freind..

4 to 5 months after the last surgery on 08/11/17. I hope to be out of a cast and into a walking boot and onto PT no later than Mid October though.

Thanks for the thought!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jorjen said:

One thing I have discovered. Listening to vinyl while in the use of a Knee Scooter in an 11'x13' room is quite a challenge to say the least.  :lol:

that's pt too...it might be easier using CD player or spotify..

9 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

There's no such thing as a minor surgery . . .

. . . unless, of course, the patient is not yet eighteen.

Hang in there Jordan @jorjen.  We're here to help you combat boredom.

EDITED:  As they used to say at the end of Dragnet  " . . . the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jorjen said:

am staring at roughly two months in a cast after the last one. A walking boot and PT after that. I am hoping for at least light duty at work by January. We will see but I am positive and confident in my Surgeon and the outcome.

Having confidence is a good thing in a doctor. Maybe the pain blocking will work better the next times. My GF broke her ankle in a fall over a curb a few years ago. She had surgery which consisted of screwing in screws in her ankle. The pain was so intense in a recovery room afterwards, I could see it in her eyes and voice.

Hope you have a lot of music to listen to during your convalescence and all the best!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

5 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

I plan on being the last man standing with a vinyl only rig. It's a matter of principle. :lol:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

. . . unless, of course, the patient is not yet eighteen.

Hang in there John @jorjen.  We're here to help you combat boredom.

You must be thinking of my Son John Neil. I'm Jordan, remember? :lol: