Center for RB-5s???

SilverSport

4 hours ago, silversport said:

I appreciate the responses...it seems that the RC-7 would be a great center but I think the added expense may not be worth it for me

Disagree.  The RC-7 is every bit worth the added expense and then some.  The RC-3 constantly had to have it's hand held to keep up in my system, and even then it seemed like it was forcing itself to perform up to the par with the RB-5's and the RF-3's.  The RC-7 performs the job with ease, and absolutely no assistance.

• Like 5

• Moderators
6 hours ago, silversport said:

I did a cursory look for the RC-7 and found $500 was the area I was finding them in...

$500 is way at the top end (might even be overpriced).  I've owned two RC-7's over the years and paid $200 each for them.  $350 isn't uncommon price though.

I would just like to add that for movies the center speaker is what you are listening to most of the time especially with speech and general dialogue. It is important to get the very best, biggest speaker you can fit / afford for this duty. The RC-7 (IMO) is one of Klipsch's greatest creations for this purpose-- even at low volumes or quiet passages in the film the sound is very crisp and detailed where lesser centers will have you on the edge of your seat wondering what is being said. 

I think I've had 8 or 9 RC-7's over the years? still have 3, I haven't been so lucky with cheap prices but have usually paid $300-$400 a piece, except the last one I picked up with my cherry RF-5's I paid $300 for, the guy threw it in free along with several other items. :ph34r:  Keep an eye out for deals as they do come up. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Youthman said:

$500 is way at the top end (might even be overpriced).  I've owned two RC-7's over the years and paid $200 each for them.  $350 isn't uncommon price though.

Fwiw, No way I would sell my RC-7 for less that $500. :)  If you can find one for less than that I would buy it (if in good shape) because you aren't going to be able to touch that for anything comparable new (imo). 

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, No way I would sell my RC-7 for less that $500. :)  If you can find one for less than that I would buy it (if in good shape) because you aren't going to be able to touch that for anything comparable new (imo). 

I got mine for $225 shipped.  What do you think of those apples? :P 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I got mine for $225 shipped.  What do you think of those apples? :P 

That is a GREAT price and I stand by you won't find one better for less than $500 in the used market--Heck, if it were local and a person needed it bad enough I can easily see paying more. Just sayin'. 

20 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I'll give it to you for that if you drive down here and beat me 3 out of 5 in arm wrastlin'.

Since there appears to be nothing to lose in your proposition, know that I'm on my way.

Be advised that I intend to use both hands against your one to offset the home advantage.

See you soon, and please have that RC-7 ready to travel.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

thanks guys, I have gone back to using the Quartets with a KLF-C7 center for this smaller HT setup...no money out of pocket...I was just looking for information on the proper or designed to be a match Center for RB-5s as Mains.

I realize there are at least two schools of thought on what makes a Center match or if that is really even important or if it is better to just get the best sounding Center I can find...

My main HT set up is three Heresys across the front and this was a secondary system mostly used for TV and the occasional DVD...

Thanks everyone for the input...

Bill