DIY Car AC Clutch Fix

billybob

30 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

We had a GMC safari for almost 20 years.  Guess who got to work on it?

Came close to buying a Safari or Astro before for business. Never have owned a truck, Like the idea of going into a restaurant(rare) or other place knowing I can come back and find my tools and stuff high and dry.

12 minutes ago, billybob said:

Came close to buying a Safari or Astro before for business. Never have owned a truck, Like the idea of going into a restaurant(rare) or other place knowing I can come back and find my tools and stuff high and dry.

We bought it in 1990 and right after that brought my newborn son home from the hospital in it.  He ended up driving and owning it.

• Like 2

Basically what was deleted, not going to replicate but, got the Volvo used in 2008 from a new and used car dealer in Pensacola after viewing it on craigslist so, armed with $6000 in cash drove over in a rental, took a cab to dealer. There were 2 in town, so thinking coming back with one of them.

GF's 2000 Explorer totaled in an accident, where she sustained wrist injury and minor rib brusing. She had told me of a story about her lady friend driving

through a church with a Volvo sustain no injuries. So safety and the story had me shopping for a decent Volvo. Found it then and cashed did the talking.

Only thing wrong was ac not blowing as cold as liked. They added half a pint and deal done.

Ever year since started putting a pint of 134 into system  in late spring.

All of the above is new so now, what I deleted somewhat:

Started having the clutch problem diagnosis from online when car driven and going in the store for a few or onger and clutch not engaging. Receiving correct voltage to coil, no low refrigerant. Cooling system adequate and the regular not the problem. Zeroed in on the clutch repair videos and after listenin go GF's frustration and actually a different motor, 2.4 liter and all the other various things done to the car, and yes, nothing cheap, wanting to have her to replace the car well, you see what I mean.

So got 3 estimates on replace compressor, accumulator(dryer) and vacuum/recharge onto the 3. One $1000. Two $1100(local) and three, the first estimate of 1123 out the door. The first 2 I listed is aftermarket or, I read China made to spec. The last given is OEM parts. After reading the reman. 

remarks, want to learn if new off the shelf or reman. and find out parts and any labor warranty. Think 2 years reasonable on the parts.

All this to say, anything I can do to save money on a car she MAY only keep another year(?) is superfluous and if the weather mood, attitude, and difficulty with limited tools to assist with safety ,convenience, and patience on my part, I may do it over weekend. GF' is ready to have it done by

the 3rd dude. And then of course, the hangover, I may just throw my hammer through the engine block, the decider, lol.

Thanks for the replies as a reality check. Of course, it may not work for me...besides. Thanks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

A common problem is the low pressure switch. Did you jump it out when testing the clutch coil?

When you first crank the car everything works great? Then after driving a while everything gets hot and compressor quits working?

I just did some googling.  Apparently clutch issues on these compressors is very common. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

A common problem is the low pressure switch. Did you jump it out when testing the clutch coil?

When you first crank the car everything works great? Then after driving a while everything gets hot and compressor quits working?

No I didn't Yes clutch not engaging compressor when hot...even read where a very warm clutch will not engage because of less magnet pull to engage, like loose magnetic ability when hot.

29 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I just did some googling.  Apparently clutch issues on these compressors is very common. 

Thanks, what I found, thus the diy videos...

10 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

That's not a surprise.  Google Volvo repair under any category and it will probably be "very common."

Way too common not to be it.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

How did you check power to the coil?  How did you check the ground circuit to the coil?

I assumed if it worked cold, it would work warm or hot. Have an cheap analog meter I may put on it to see.

Then my question would be, do I buy a new coil only or, buy a new clutch and splice the new coil on that comes with clutch...

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

You can't shim the gap to get it a little closer?

EDIT, not shim the gap but install shims to lessen the gap.

I have a 2000 Volvo V70 with the same issue.  Last year, I found a video someplace on the world-wide-intertube that showed how to shim the AC compressor clutch with those square plastic bread ties.  I haven't done it yet - I have a bunch of bread ties in my junk drawer ready to go.  My son drives the car now so it isn't as urgent.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

We bought it in 1990 and right after that brought my newborn son home from the hospital in it.  He ended up driving and owning it.

Well there you go, good investment in the future...:emotion-21: Like my Chevrolets GM...

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

You can't shim the gap to get it a little closer?

EDIT, not shim the gap but install shims to lessen the gap.

Lol, heck, I do not know if I can even rig it with wire ties let alone get a puller and the other mm sockets together, and go through that aggravation. Heck, I do not even have a feeler gauge around here. If I can find a shade tree around here, will be lucky if I can do it without a whole lot of trouble. Guess I am really giving myself away here. Half=assed shade tree mechanic. Not recommended for the impatient.

5 hours ago, pbphoto said:

I have a 2000 Volvo V70 with the same issue.  Last year, I found a video someplace on the world-wide-intertube that showed how to shim the AC compressor clutch with those square plastic bread ties.  I haven't done it yet - I have a bunch of bread ties in my junk drawer ready to go.  My son drives the car now so it isn't as urgent.

Lol, good for you. I may wait and see how it goes...;)

• Moderators

Sorry couldn't help it, I hate working on cars, but at the same time I'm cheap, it's tough. If I only had a tree close I'd be alright, I would either break it or fix it, no telling. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dtel said:

Sorry couldn't help it, I hate working on cars, but at the same time I'm cheap, it's tough. If I only had a tree close I'd be alright, I would either break it or fix it, no telling. 

Lol, yes you got to be willing, and may just have to get me an RPG...:lol:

• Like 1