LA SCALA CROSSOVERS ( ALK OR CRITES ) WHATS BETTER?

klipsch1

On 11/8/2017 at 9:14 PM, klipsch1 said:

I just purchased his AA rebuild kit.  So now I will have to change my tweeters? or will it be just fine? I can wait to hear what my lascars are supposed to sound like :)

You will not have to replace tweeters.  The Type AA is designed to be used with the stock K-77 tweeter.

Like @jason str said, if you switch to the A/4500, then you would need to change to a more robust tweeter as the K-77 crosses at 6000 Hz and will not survive the lower 4500 Hz XO point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, klipsch1 said:

they don't have the Klipsch badges on the back. are they original klipsch or after market?

They are pretty well marked as Klipsch K-77.  I'm not sure what you mean by "badge."

I can tell you the wires look exactly like OEM Klipsch wiring.

It does make a difference if they are 8 or 16 Ohm.  I believe the K-77 is 8 Ohm, the K-55-V mid driver is 16 Ohm.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

They are pretty well marked as Klipsch K-77.  I'm not sure what you mean by "badge."

I can tell you the wires look exactly like OEM Klipsch wiring.

It does make a difference if they are 8 or 16 Ohm.  I believe the K-77 is 8 Ohm, the K-55-V mid driver is 16 Ohm.

so does that mean that I can't use them with the k55v ?

8 minutes ago, klipsch1 said:

so does that mean that I can't use them with the k55v ?

YES you can use the K-77 with the K-55-V.  They were designed to be used together.

I only mentioned the K-55-V because it uses the fairly unusual 16 Ohm driver and you asked about 8 Ohm vs 16 Ohm in the K-77.

Sorry for the confusion.

Those are nice, quit stressing. Those are what we call round back K-77s, and have Alnico magnets. They don't have the quite the extension of the newer square magnet types, but the Alnico magnet K-77's have a large following.

The part numbers can get confusing. "K-77" is the Klipsch designation. Early units were made by University, and were referred to as the T-35) Later units were made by Electrovoice. The earlier, round magnet versions are not quite as robust, so be sure to use, or reuse the zener diodes that are in the tweeter circuit of the Type AA.

Early versions of the driver came in both 8 ohm and 16 ohm versions. It does make a difference -- do you know what you bought?

A nice thread was recently started on these ...

I actually asked the seller to cancel the transaction. I have la Scalias with k55v with spring connectors . I'm going to put in k55v  with the soldered connection and I also purchased a AA crossover rebuild kit from bob crites. Now the reason for my initial question was because the lasacala had 1 round k77 in it and the other cabinet had a square k77. So I wanted a matched set of round k77. What is better 16 ohm version of k77 or 8 ohm version ? 

one set has metal badge on the back and the other set of k77 doesn't. what is the major difference . thanks

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Don't worry about the "badge" issue, all that matters is whether they are "Klipsch" or not.

8 ohm is preferred, which is what was used with the Type AA crossover network.

Tell the seller you want DCR readings from a multimeter. This will confirm 1) that the diaphragms are good, and 2) what impedance the drivers are.

• Like 2

From the different versions I've heard I don't think you are going to hear any difference between those assuming they are functioning properly.  

Slow down and get your caps replaced.  One of the mistakes I have made is changing multiple things at once.  

Make a change and live with it for a week or two to get a feel for it before you do anything else.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1