Plumbing Help - Recirc Pump

tigerwoodKhorns

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Put it downstream of the pump and it won't run dry.

Put the check valve down stream of the pump? Mine is and I assure you if I don't bleed the recirc. lines after they get air in them for whatever reason the pump will suck air.

1 minute ago, babadono said:

Put the check valve down stream of the pump? Mine is and I assure you if I don't bleed the recirc. lines after they get air in them for whatever reason the pump will suck air.

Yes, once the system has been opened it will have air.  I was referring to what might happen if the valve quit letting water by.  If it's downstream and there's pressure on it then there should always be water in the pump housing.

16 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I

IMG_1404.JPG

Ok, I understand that a check valve is a one way valve.  If you look at the photo, if I open the green 1/4 turn valve at the wall (the return line), water should run through the check valve and come out of the red pump flange, correct? 

If I open the 1/4 turn green valve, water only trickles out.  The yellow lets full pressure from the tank, but there is no obstruction. I tried tapping the check valve with a big screwdriver and it id not free up.  

Last item, the green gate value (hose spigot) should be to drain the return line in the wall.  The tank still have another gate valve to drain it (an dI drain it every year). 

4 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Ok, I understand that a check valve is a one way valve.  If you look at the photo, if I open the green 1/4 turn valve at the wall (the return line), water should run through the check valve and come out of the red pump flange, correct? Yes

If I open the 1/4 turn green valve, water only trickles out.  The yellow lets full pressure from the tank, but there is no obstruction. I tried tapping the check valve with a big screwdriver and it id not free up.  

Last item, the green gate value (hose spigot) should be to drain the return line in the wall.  The tank still have another gate valve to drain it (an dI drain it every year). 

I vote the check valve is darn near sealed closed or installed backwards.

If the valve is indeed stuck then there will be water trapped between the shut off valve at the wall and the check valve.  You'll never sweat it apart unless you get that water out.  You'll need to cut it apart or drill a hole in the valve or pipe top let the water out then you'll be able to melt the solder.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If the valve is indeed stuck then there will be water trapped between the shut off valve at the wall and the check valve.  You'll never sweat it apart unless you get that water out.  You'll need to cut it apart or drill a hole in the valve or pipe top let the water out then you'll be able to melt the solder.

Good point. 

Yep, take a sawzall to the brass body of the check valve. When I saw the plumber do that to mine I said to myself WTF? But then I asked him and he explained just what Carl just said

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

2 minutes ago, USNRET said:

White bread stuffed in pipe to stop dripping then solder. Pressure will dissolve later.

That's an old one.  I used to have to do that at times sweating lavatory or kitchen stops on.  It really works when the line you're working on won't stop dripping.  You just have to let the water soften the bread up prior to opening the valve.