Vacuumes...

justin_tx_16

Did i spell that correctly? Ok, not talking about vacuum tubes, sorry mobile hehe. This is really off topic but I don't know where else to post questions on the net for help, no other form has so many knowlegable ppl!

here is the dope :) we have a 2.5 story house. the first floor is about 2500 square feet and is about 90% wood flooring. the second floor is the same size and all carpet, some marble in the master bath and tile in the others, but that is not important here, the thirds floor, really a 1/2 floor is only like 600 sq feet all carpet in a single room divided into these other ... ok, hard to explain, all we need to 'worry' about is the bottom floor for this :)

we have a really nice Kenmoore (?) upright vacuum cleaner. does a great job. however, it weighs a TON! my mom gets a thrill (weird, i know) out of vacuuming, but she can not carry this one from teh wood floors down stairs to the carpet upstairs, hurts her back. i am not always here to carry it, and my dad even less.

so, i thought i would get her a really nice vacuum, canister perhaps, that would be for the downstairs, like 2300sq feet of wood flooring, and then 200 of carpet. what is a good one for mostly wood, but can still do some carpet?a canister is nice because it moves around pretty easily and you are not holding a heavy vacuum handle the whole time, and since it is downstairs, it will save her back from carrying up and down the vacuum we have now, which would stay upstairs.

my friend told me to get her a Rainbow, but that is for carpet from what i understand. any ideas?

BTW, she HATES Hoover, they are to her what BOSE is to me LoL!

Thanks for the help, and not smiting me for asking this haha

A co-worker of mine has a modest house (comparatively) of 1,400/sq. ft. and had a central vac system installed. All you have to mess with is the handle and the hose. Just go to the nearest connection on the wall, plug in the hose and throw the switch. The "waste colletion", I think, is mounted I the basement.

This guy is pretty cool. He'll ask me what I would do in "X" situation and I tell him what my dream idea would be. More often than not he he get's it or something close.

a maid? yeah right LoL!

i tried to get my dad to put in one of those vacuum systems, we had one at our old house in california, but it is like $8500 to get it installed when we built this house, something outrageous like that. it provided power as well as suction.

bed-bath-beyond has 4 models, one nis the 'shark' and it is really powerful and small, i am going to try it out, and see if sears can help :)

I can't imagine it is that expensive to put in a central vacuum system during the construction phase of a home. A friend of mine had a central vac installed post-construction at < $1000. Granted it was only a 3,000 sq ft. home but it has to cost more to do the install after the house is built rather than before.

IMHO and experience, Oreck is to the vacuum industry as Bose is to audio...

i am going to check out the mieles, thanks!

robotic? no good, she needs the instant gratification of doing it herself, her words, i had shown her this robot by honda, jokingly, and she did not think it was funny... weirdo! haha

we have been screwed over so many times with this house, i bet that quote was off as well. oh the stories i can tell about this house... and we thought getting one brand new, built for us, would be easier than rebuilding... oh were we wrong haha

thanks again

Justin,

Stay away from Oreck. Run don't walk, they are crap. Can I say that on the new board?

Anyway, check into Vacuflo central vacs, best one I found after lots of research. I don't know where they were going to spend $8500 on a new installation, I was quoted about $1500 to retro fit our 3000 foot two story house. I am going to do it myself and save about $500.

Your mom will thank you if you talk dad into a central vac. It's a lot easier carrying a hose up the steps than the whole vacuum. Unless it's a vacuum tube amp!

My parents bought a Kirby some years ago and that thing works pretty well. Powerfull, self driven (forwards and reverse) and looks like the metal came from a 43' Ford bumper. The bad thing about it is that you'll need a freight elevator to get it from floor to floor. Cost them about $700.

Waite a minute! My signature line is gone!!

The Kirby is just like any other upright that needs to have it's bag changed periodically. The wieght of those things is tremendous, and without the self-propelling feature, you would have an aching back in no time.

I have heard good things about the miele vacuum, which unfortunately I heard too late after my wife plunked down too much $$$ on one of those TriStar canister vacs (good product, though).

I have studied the Kirby and have owned a G4 model for 9 years.

I have never had the chance to inspect a Rainbow but I hear they are good.

When I bought the Kirby I was allot of money for me. I literally change the bag every 3-4 weeks and get 15 pounds of stuff. Dogs, soccer players,cub scouts, bla, bla ,bla.

I have replaced one beater brush and one impeller in 9 years. The self propelled is cool.

Buy one for each floor. It does a good job on hardwwods when you turn the "beater" off.

If I buy a cottage in northeren Michigan; the old Kirby goes up there and I get a new one for the house.2.gif

well this is only for wood and the one room with carpet so carpet cleaning is not a big deal. we have a nice upright for upstairs and a carpet shampooer so don't have to worry too much about cleaning the upstairs carpet with a kirby :) i just need something to get my mom for the downstairs woods, without causing any scratching and whatnot.

i am thinking the miele is the way to go right now, no way are we going to get the inwall system, with all the trouble we have had from contracters... yeah, that is not going to happen LoL! the big HT my dad is building has been on hold till who knows, supposed to be november, because of one excuse or another. we have had the kitchen rebuilt three times! they hung the 100 a roll wall paper upside down, they dropped our new granite counter top, they dropped our bosch dishwasher, they broke our brand new $3000ish fridge... the list goes on and on and on. the inside has been painted 6 times, i kid you not! the next contractor to come into our house just may not come out if the slightest error occurs haha. (feel sorry for the guy putting in the new bar...LoL!)

Justin said:

we have had the kitchen rebuilt three times! they hung the 100 a roll wall paper upside down, they dropped our new granite counter top, they dropped our bosch dishwasher, they broke our brand new $3000ish fridge... the list goes on and on and on. the inside has been painted 6 times, i kid you not! the next contractor to come into our house just may not come out if the slightest error occurs haha. (feel sorry for the guy putting in the new bar...LoL!)

Great, I hope I don't have those kinds of problems when I begin some serious construction around here (around $20,000 plus, which includes a new 2-car garage, a paved driveway, new deck, etc). As for vacuum cleaner, I just got my trustly ol' Eureka to do the 2000 sqft or so I got here (plenty enough house for a single guy with some expensive stereo equipment :) ).

Ghasp! A product now made for wood floors on my mom's new wood floors?! NEVER!...

Once again, proving the oddities of my mom, she will not use any solvents or cleaners on the floors, only this wax she gets from north carolina...

you guys have been comparing bose to oreck... haha, did you read what i said about that in the first post? :) my mom HATES Oreck hehe, its great.