Thanks for the help everyone, need a bit more

vasubandu

First I just want to say thanks for all the help I have been given here.  What an informed and helpful group.

I have a ten year old home theater system with a 60 inch plasma and Paradigm Millennia speakers.  Moving to a 75-86 inch LCD and want some speakers with more presence.  You guys have convinced me that Klipsch makes sense.  I am not after perfection here, just a good system for my wife and kids.  I don't even watch TV.

Right now on Amazon, I could get a "used, like new" system consisting of 2 RP-280FA towers, a RP-450CA center and two RS-62 II surrounds for under $2,100.  That seems like a no brainer.  I know tat the surrounds are a different series, but what I have read here, it seems like mixing those works.  

The options I have are:

Towers:   RP 280FA for $500 or RF-7 II locally for 500 (each)

Center:  RP-450CA for $500, RC-62 II for $300, or RC-64 II for $800

Surrounds: RP-240S for $400, RP-250S for $600,  or KS-525-THX for $800 (pair)

Any thoughts on the best mix of these? The standard is a noticeable difference, not something subtle.  Thanks again.

10 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Version?

The RF-7 vs the RF-7 II.

I think @Youthman can speak to that as he owns both and is very knowledgeable on the difference between the RF-x series.  I own the RC-64 and the sound is fantastic, I can't imagine any major upgrade in sound from the version II.  Good  is good.

The RC-64 has slightly darker looking woofers (bronze instead of a brighter copper) than the RC-64 II  and uses magnets to secure the grills instead of the pin type.

I got my info on the differences from Youthman so if I'm right, he's right.  :lol:

• Haha 1

@Youthman that was crazy helpful, but now you have me confused.  You have different receivers for different speakers.  How am i going to figure that one out?  I gather that different pairings work better, so I will just have to seek some advice when I get the speakers.  Given the LaScala price, I am thinking that the logical thing is the RF-7 towers and RC 64-II center.  So I am in at $1800  and sill need the surrounds.  

I think the RP-240S and RP-250S are out, and I see a R-14S at $250 per pair, the RS-42 ii for $350 per pair, or the  KS-525-THX at $800 per pair.  Not a clue what makes sense here.  Any ideas?

And any receiver suggestions for  the RF-7, RC 64 ii, ?? setup?

9 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

And any receiver suggestions for  the RF-7, RC 64 ii, ?? setup?

Sure!  What is your budget?

In the $1000 range Marantz SR6011 is a 2016 model (which is still selling in 2017) and sounds great with Klipsch and is very good with music.  It was selling earlier in the year for $1400, so it's a good value.  I own the 6011.

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR-6011-Audio-Component-Receiver/dp/B01K1Z6M1O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513986927&sr=8-2&keywords=marantz+sr6011

The sister to the Marantz is the Denon AVR4300H and is in the same price range and but I'm not sure of availability.  Both are owned by the same company.  The Denon is well liked for home theater, people lean towards the Marantz for music.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRX4300H-technology-featuring-Bluetooth/dp/B01KZRPNIQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513987002&sr=1-2&keywords=denon+avr-x4300h

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vasubandu said:

OK a huge thanks to all of you again.  So I just contacted the guy with the RF-7 speakers.  He lives 100 miles away but offered to deliver them.  And in our emails, he seems to know what he is doing.  SO I guess that this makes me a Klipsch guy.

Be sure to test them BEFORE he leaves with your money. Good luck!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vasubandu said:

If I got the R-14SA, would be be my surround speaker or supplement it?  If I wanted Dolby Atmos, would I need to get four of those in addition to the other speakers?

That would be the Atmos module, only, and yes, four would be ideal.  From the Klipsch site:

The R-14SA Dolby Atmos® enabled elevation speaker is a fantastic complement to our Reference family. Set this height channel on top of your existing floorstanding speaker to complete a hemisphere of rich, detailed sound.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/r-14sa-dolby-atmos-speaker

Because of your choice of AVR in that $1K range you will get an AVR capable of supporting 4 Atmos modules 5.1.4 which is considered to be vastly superior to only two at 5.1.2.  Most AVRs under that price range are almost always limited to two Atmos modules.

• Haha 1

Thanks that was helpful and I saw that too. But the Atmos diagrams I have seen show Atmos speakers in the back, but they seem not to show back surround speakers.  I know you need 2 on top of the towers, but the other two in the back.  Do the go on top of the surrouns speakers, beside them or do they replace them?  I may be misunderstanding the whole idea of 4 Atmos speakers, but I think the second pair go in the back.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Does it matter what version they are?

Regarding the RF-7 series, yes, they each have a different sound.  Take a look at this thread where I compared the RF-7, RF-7 II and RF-83.  Short version, the RF-7 are on the bright side, RF-83 are very smooth and laid back, and the RF-7 II are perfectly in the middle.  The midrange and bass sound the same to my ears.  It was just the high frequencies that sounded different to my ears.

I've owned the RC-64 and RC-64 II and didn't hear any difference.  I've also owned the RS-62 and RS-62 II and did not hear any difference.  As mentioned, the original series has the bronze woofers while Series II have the copper colored woofers.

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I own the RC-64 and the sound is fantastic, I can't imagine any major upgrade in sound from the version II.  Good  is good.

Agreed, I didn't hear any difference between the two.

that was crazy helpful, but now you have me confused.  You have different receivers for different speakers.  How am i going to figure that one out?  And any receiver suggestions for  the RF-7, RC 64 ii, ?? setup?

I love the sound of Harman Kardon for 2ch listening.  I bought a "Lot" of audio equipment on the cheap and sold what I didn't want and ended up keeping the Onkyo TX-NR5008 ($2600 when new) receiver for free.  That's just the way Youthman rolls.  LOL  Don't sweat the receiver part.  Many of us have used Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Harman Kardon, Denon, Onkyo  and Pioneer receivers with great results.  Just look for the receiver within your budget, and has the features you want.  I just personally do not care for SONY receivers.  I also tend to buy my receivers used.  When I get a $2600 for free, it's really difficult for me to spend more than $400 on a receiver but that's just me.  They depreciate SOOOOO fast too.  For home theater, I tend to look for good deals on a receiver that is still current (1-3 years old) and save probably 2/3 on the price.

5 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I am not after perfection here, just a good system for my wife and kids.  I don't even watch TV.

Once you get your Klipsch system, that will change.  :D

I think the RP-240S and RP-250S are out, and I see a R-14S at $250 per pair, the RS-42 ii for $350 per pair, or the  KS-525-THX at $800 per pair.  Not a clue what makes sense here.  Any ideas?

I personally would not use the R-14S or RS-42 II with the RF-7's.  If you can find a pair of the slightly larger RS-52 or RS-52 II, I used them with my previous RF-83 / RC-64 and it sounded awesome and have no problem keeping up with the large towers.

Thanks. never would have thought of that.  My wife calls me clueless.

It's ok.  We are here to help.

2 hours ago, vasubandu said:

If I got the R-14SA, would be be my surround speaker or supplement it?  If I wanted Dolby Atmos, would I need to get four of those in addition to the other speakers?

The R-14SA is meant to be placed on top of your front Left and Right speaker.  They fire up at the ceiling and the sound then reflects off of the ceiling back down to your listening position.  Your actual surrounds would be speakers like RS-52 II, or the RP surrounds.  IMO, don't worry with Atmos.  I've always said a properly setup 5.1 system will sound better than an improperly setup 7.1 or even a 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 Atmos setup.  You can always add Atmos speakers as the budget allows.  Get a rock solid Left, Center and Right speaker and a quality subwoofer and get two side surrounds or two side surrounds and two surround back speakers.  Then worry about adding Atmos.

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That would be the Atmos module, only, and yes, four would be ideal.  From the Klipsch site:

I'm still new to Atmos but if he bought 4  Atmos Modules, where would he place the 2nd pair?

If I ever move to Atmos, I will likely add 4 In-Ceiling speakers instead of adding "Atmos Modules"