The Day The Music Died: 59 Years Ago

Travis In Austin

Those who've not heard the re-mastering of the Buddy Holly tapes have not heard him.  Norman Petty was as fastidious as PWK in recording and the LP I have has the most incredible transparency to the studio imaginable, right down to fingers on frets as if you were a few feet away.  The masters survived, and the vinyl reissue truly extraordinary.  I just did a search for Buddy Holly vinyl and did not see the album I have.  Find it hard to believe it would be rare, but didn't see anything like it on Ebay or the first page of returns on the search.  When I get my records unpacked in March perhaps I can figure this out.  It may be I have something very rare.  ]\

Dave

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

Those who've not heard the re-mastering of the Buddy Holly tapes have not heard him.  Norman Petty was as fastidious as PWK in recording and the LP I have has the most incredible transparency to the studio imaginable, right down to fingers on frets as if you were a few feet away.  The masters survived, and the vinyl reissue truly extraordinary.  I just did a search for Buddy Holly vinyl and did not see the album I have.  Find it hard to believe it would be rare, but didn't see anything like it on Ebay or the first page of returns on the search.  When I get my records unpacked in March perhaps I can figure this out.  It may be I have something very rare.  ]\

Dave

Send it to me Dave.  I’ll give it a thorough Reg Williamson PVA peel cleaning and return it to you.:)

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I think Buddy was the best rocker this country ever produced. I think a trip to Clear Lake Iowa next year for the 60th anniversary might be in order.

RIP.

I will be there right with you.

That's a guy who influenced all of Rock and Roll.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mallette said:

This one's in pristine condition, Neil.  Looking forward to getting my records shelved next month and a voyage of re-discovery.

Dave

Understood, but it has not been treated with Cyastat SN to keep it pristine.  Without ant-static treatment it’s a dust magnet and becomes less pristine each time it’s removed from its sleeve.  I do a PVA Cyastat SN laced peel on brand new records before playing them. 

Understood, Neil.  Less of an issue here than when I lived in west Texas.  Zerostat wasn't optional out there.  Household humidity here runs about 25 to 35 percent most of the time and I have no carpets.  Static is very low, though not zero.  I'll be treating quite a few discs once up and running again.  I certainly am looking forward to treating some 78s to see what happens.  

Dave

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Mallette said:

Dave

Which one is it?  Is it Legend?

The prerecorded R2R is just down right unbelieveable.

Holly Legend 1.jpeg

Doesn't look like what I recall...but with 2k lps stored now for 2 years it's hard to be sure.  The description on the cover and your statement certainly sounds like my experience with Holly recordings.  That disc would be in the top 1 percent of fidelity if recorded last year.

Dave

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Doesn't look like what I recall...but with 2k lps stored now for 2 years it's hard to be sure.  The description on the cover and your statement certainly sounds like my experience with Holly recordings.  That disc would be in the top 1 percent of fidelity if recorded last year.

Dave

Wow I can't wait for you to unpack that