Value of Belle Klipsch other questions.

kink56

What is the most you would pay for a MINT set of early 1970s Belle Klipsch speakers with crossover caps replaced/upgraded?    

Next question. I have a subwoofer quick and flat to 15hz, , so the bass extension is not an issue. What differences in sound would I expect with the Belles vs Forte I which have Crites crossovers and Ti tweeter diaphragms? 

Hint, I had Heresy IIs and they did NOT integrate well with my subwoofer. They extended low enough to, but the bass that the Heresys put out were of less volume than the mid and treble they put out. So my LOW tones were loud enough, my mid tones were loud enough and my high tones were too. But the upper bass, lower mids (that which the Heresy woofer handled) was not loud enough.   Heresy IIIs in the same system as my Forte I DID blend well though. Needless to say the Forte I blend VERY well with my subwoofer.    I am concerned the Belles will give me the same problem the Heresy IIs did.  

The appear to be Wonder Caps polypropylene throughout.   Grilles are mint. They have been refinished to perfection.   I am not sure of the wood.  If I were to get them, I would probably sell my MINT oiled oak Forte I/Crites mod speakers.   And I would also have the crate to ship the Fortes since the Belles would come in crates.   It is hard to sell large speakers unless they can be shipped freight in crates. 

To be honest, I want them because they are no longer made AND they look so damned awesome.    But I would want them to have even BETTER midrange than the Forte I's do.  I would set them out in the room a ways to get proper imaging and soundstage.   So, they would not even realize their potential in bass extension being away from the walls. 

No, because they were listed for 3750, doesn't mean that's what they sold for.  Hard to tell.  If they are walnut,  max of $3K.  In the last couple of years, I have sold/traded two pairs of Belles for less than that, and both parties were happy.

• Like 1

I can't comment on integrating belles or fortes with a sub, but I used to have my forte II speakers in the same room as my belles. I sold my fortes and I will not sell my belles anytime soon. They sound amazing and put out amazing detail. My belles are stock except for Crites AA crossovers.

• Like 2

Those were examples.  I agree with jimjimbo, I wouldn't pay over $3000 unless exceptional. 

We had a forum member with (3) freshly (and beautifully) veneered belles with Volti upgrades that cost ~$3000.  They sold for less than $5000.

If I was paying $5000, I would find a pair of La Scala II or some Palladiums.

The Belles are beautiful speakers and sound great. 

I have 2 pair, one very good condition and ones someone started to refinish.

I got lucky and didn't spend anywhere near the range above. 

• Like 1

I do not want LaScallas.  I am only interested in Belles.   But Palladiums look interesting.   Belles are just gorgeous though.   I thank you all for the comments on price.  I will proceed accordingly.    

^  :facepalm:

I wouldn't pay more than 2000 to maybe 2200 for a pair of factory finished Belles with cane grills... LESS than that for black or brown grills.

I'd MUCH RATHER own la scalas because they are a better speaker imho... certainly the Klipschorn is.

Belles are a nice oddity and specialty item with an ode to a lovely wife, but it's not in the same league as the LS or K'horn.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I can't comment on integrating belles or fortes with a sub, but I used to have my forte II speakers in the same room as my belles. I sold my fortes and I will not sell my belles anytime soon. They sound amazing and put out amazing detail. My belles are stock except for Crites AA crossovers.

Well considering most people prefer Forte II over Forte I, your saying you prefer the Belles over the Forte II you had, that tells me something. 

However, as I say, they would be placed about 2 feet from the back wall, so the bass integration with my subwoofer is a concern.   Imaging and soundstage is also a high priority for me. 

3 minutes ago, Schu said:

^  :facepalm:

I wouldn't pay more than 2000 to maybe 2200 for a pair of factory finished Belles with cane grills... LESS than that for black or brown grills.

Noted.  There is something I have noticed about specialty forums. It could be Buicks, Leica lenses, Les Paul guitars, McIntosh tube amps, Italian shoes, whatever. The people on specialty forums typically would spend less than people in general. I think it is because they have had extensive exposure and opportunity and most like have made more mistakes they are apt to not repeat than a person at large.   Maybe I should search harder for a better deal.   I really would like a set though.  And finding someone willing to crate up and ship freight are few and far between. 

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't pay $5500 for that pair in Dallas plus the shipping charges. You're paying a premium for a re-veneer job that's been done on them. And even then, the veneer doesn't really match in the main key point on the speakers....the bass bin center pieces. The tops don't match either. Look at most any veneered Klipsch speakers in a matched pair and they will match pretty much all the way around on both. For that money, you aren't far off from fairly new Klipshorns or La Scala II's...which you said you didn't want.

I guess this is the main reason I built a pair of Belle's from scratch; I refused to pay what they are wanting for them. No, mine aren't authentic...but they are hard to beat. I wanted the look and sound without the cost and then "upgrade" costs of drivers, etc. 

20171224_110752-1024x824.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kink56 said:

I did not say they were stock, I said they were mint.   Yeah, if they had cane grilles that would be the clincher!  

You didn't say they weren't stock either.  Original cane grills on Belles....good luck with that.