87 Khorns - replace mid drivers Dual Phase Plug?

rplace

Always fun to try different ingredients in the soup. Would it be worth my time and effort to track down a pair of K55V mid drivers with Dual Phase Plugs? My Belle center has the push type and obviously my 87 Khorns have the flatter silver ones, not the rounded gray ones....I can't keep em all straight.

So just so I know should I give it a go. Or save my time, money and effort and just buy more music and spend my time listening.

Kicking myself for not seeing the Oris horns for sale close to me. That would have been a totally different endeavor. DPP K-55 are a pretty easy swap. On the other hand I'm not unhappy with my current set up 87 Khorns, Dean AA XOs and Crites tweeters. Still have original tweets so could go back at any time.

Always fun to try different ingredients in the soup. Would it be worth my time and effort to track down a pair of K55V mid drivers with Dual Phase Plugs? My Belle center has the push type and obviously my 87 Khorns have the flatter silver ones, not the rounded gray ones....I can't keep em all straight.

So just so I know should I give it a go. Or save my time, money and effort and just buy more music and spend my time listening.

Kicking myself for not seeing the Oris horns for sale close to me. That would have been a totally different endeavor. DPP K-55 are a pretty easy swap. On the other hand I'm not unhappy with my current set up 87 Khorns, Dean AA XOs and Crites tweeters. Still have original tweets so could go back at any time.

I have a pair of dual phase plug mids if you are interested.

The K-55M's in your '87's are a dual phase plug design and actually run about 1.5db hotter than a standard K-55V.  The drawback being is there are no replacement diaphragm's for them you have to modify a K-55V one to work in it.  The K-55V's also have alnico magnets.

Just now, Frzninvt said:

The K-55M's in your '87's are a dual phase plug design and actually run about 1.5db hotter than a standard K-55V.  The drawback being is there are no replacement diaphragm's for them you have to modify a K-55V one to work in it.  The K-55V's also have alnico magnets.

Thanks for that info. I'm much more a listener, than a tech guy. Not sure if you remember way back in 2004 or so but you are actually the one that alerted me to the Khorns in my area. Met GaryMD the day I picked up. I have you to blame for all that has happened since. I was perfectly happy with my FIIs then. B)

So what could/should I expect sonically? Why the lust for the DPP solder terminals? Is the only downside to my Ms the diaphragm? I don't envision my killing mine. Should I just wait for that day to happen and consider modded diaphragms vs DPP K55Vs then?

My thought is with 1.5db less output going from the M to V version I would just stick with the M version personally.  Nothing to really gain switching to the solder terminal K-55V's. If anything you may consider the newly developed A-55G's that were created and designed by a forum member.  I hear alot of positive comments on them although they are not cheap @ $400/pr and I am not sure if the output is the same as the K-55M's though.   

Yes I do remember that glad I could help out.  I used to have feelers out all over for all things Klipsch.

Interesting...wonder why in my mind I had it that the small window, 80-82 maybe, that the DPP solder terminals were "the" mid driver to have. Like I said in original post I'm not unhappy with mine, but then again always fun to experiment.

Perhaps it is the scarcity of them that fuels the thought that better. 

Your best option would be to change the Belle Klipsch center to match your flanking K-horns.  K-55-Ms are available used and are durable in home use.  You should not need to be concerned about replacing diaphragms in your lifetime.  Sad that real replacements are no longer available, but it is telling that the -V diaphragm can be modified to fit. 

5 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

That is correct the solder terminal dual phase plug K-55V was only used in the '80-'82 time frame.  All things said I run the solder terminal K-55V's in seven of my nine Heritage HT speakers.

I thought the new phase plug was introduced in '80 to address a longstanding dip in response near the top of the K55's range (as used in the Khorn).   Was this made unnecessary by the later reducing of the crossover frequency to the K77 from 6K to 4.5K, and the steepening of the slope? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnA said:

Your best option would be to change the Belle Klipsch center to match your flanking K-horns.  K-55-Ms are available used and are durable in home use.  You should not need to be concerned about replacing diaphragms in your lifetime.  Sad that real replacements are no longer available, but it is telling that the -V diaphragm can be modified to fit. 

Recent experience has shown me that replacing 30 year old diaphragms is beneficial - honest.

C7ED1857-592B-4E78-9B7C-13D3ED9AF0A0.jpeg