Vinyl NEW and IMPROVeD Backwards compatible

USNRET

21 hours ago, Schu said:

Where's the fun in that?

Well, much more will fit that didn't previously, quality will be more uniform over a run, and S/N ratio improved. They didn't mention dynamics, but if they use some of that extra space for greater dynamics, I'd go for that given the compression necessary in the majority of LPs other than chamber music and such. Might be able to do without my trusty DBX.  Of course, we'll have to see just what cost this all comes at. But, certainly sounds good on paper! Maybe they'll perfect the long awaited laser playback system. Seems if they can cut with it, they should be able to read the same way.  Now THAT would be great news indeed!  Been on the table for at least 35 years or so, but never perfected. Currently sold at 15k, the ELP really never reached many folks and it appears performance was variable and folks love it or hate it. Laser should be THE means of reading vinyl and shellac as well. 

Dave

3 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

I don't get it.  It may prevent further degradation of the vinyl, but how could this thing possibly know scratches and worn vinyl over new vinyl?

Really simple and effective. It's been around for decades, and in code for well over a decade. 

A typical scratch is VERY short, and referred to as an impulse noise. The original '70s designs were analog, at least in the signal. They used "bucket brigade" ICs to delay the audio long enough to ID an impulse noise, grab an equal amount of audio on either side of it, then replace it with the patch. Set properly and unless the record was pretty well trashed, it did a pretty great job of masking impulse noises and the "patch" was not audible, as it's very short.

Now, it's done in code and with digital or digitized sources. Found in lots of audio editing software these days. Like the earlier ones, one has to use one's ear to determine the best threshold of time/amplitude to trigger it. But the results can be excellent.

Dave

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mallette said:

Really simple and effective. It's been around for decades, and in code for well over a decade. 

A typical scratch is VERY short, and referred to as an impulse noise. The original '70s designs were analog, at least in the signal. They used "bucket brigade" ICs to delay the audio long enough to ID an impulse noise, grab an equal amount of audio on either side of it, then replace it with the patch. Set properly and unless the record was pretty well trashed, it did a pretty great job of masking impulse noises and the "patch" was not audible, as it's very short.

Now, it's done in code and with digital or digitized sources. Found in lots of audio editing software these days. Like the earlier ones, one has to use one's ear to determine the best threshold of time/amplitude to trigger it. But the results can be excellent.

Dave

The problem doing the scratch/pop elimination digitally is you can only do so much before degradation appears in the results. And I have done it to excess so I know how it distorts.

JJK