$2000 set of Forte on the bay

avguytx

58 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

We've seen these before.  A guy and his son refurbs Klipsch speakers with exotic looking nice veneers then tries to resell them for quadruple what they would normally sell for on the used market.

Yep, they're up around Dallas I believe.

Exotic veneers aren't cheap and always were a big price jump even from the factory before all the laws and regs came about on exotic woods. 

I'm not a fan of that veneer on those cabs.  Its looks very synthetic and unattractive IMO. 

36 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Exotic veneers aren't cheap and always were a big price jump even from the factory before all the laws and regs came about on exotic woods. 

Fair, but these aren't new speakers rolling off the line. They only throw in Crites' crossovers or replace drivers when needed. So they buy cheap vintage speakers, slap some exotic veneer, maybe update some components, and then ask 3-4x the average price of those speakers on the used market.

• Like 1

Yeah i see them on Craigslist all the time.

I agree exotic veneer isn't cheap + labor, but as far as that pair of forte's and the other pairs of Klipsch they've applied exotic veneer to, i'm just not a fan. Not just theirs, but mostly every pair of Klipsch I've seen that was re-veneered. Rosewood(i love natural rosewood, just not stained) or whatever exotic or different looking wood. Whatever kind that isn't the norm. I've seen a lot of new veneer put on old Klipsch and they never look quite right, probably because they don't look factory.  If it was me, i'd stick to as close as possible to any of the veneers Klipsch offers from factory.  Figured Walnut. I've seen planked and knotted walnut which looked wrong.  Oak-ebonized-oiled-distressed or Ash-ebonized. Cherry-natural or the previous stain.  Australian Walnut.   Mahogany-flat cut-ribbon striped.  Flat black, and a very deep rich brown "ebony" seems to be sticking around.   I don't know. Maybe it's just me and i don't like wood veneer that distracts too much.  I suppose it would look nice if it matched all the other furniture in the house.

One thing i notice with a lot of these veneer jobs also is that they stop there and leave the front and back motorboards as is instead of freshening those up with new black paint or going further than that and veneering those front and backs as well.  Also, the grills being sort of faded and nearly grey makes it look outdated as that covers the entire front and captures the eye first.  

Just my opinion.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Fair, but these aren't new speakers rolling off the line. They only throw in Crites' crossovers or replace drivers when needed. So they buy cheap vintage speakers, slap some exotic veneer, maybe update some components, and then ask 3-4x the average price of those speakers on the used market.

Maybe it's just an outrageous starting point and they let people make realistic offers because i see their speakers come and go on craiglist so they must be selling. 

21 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Oh, I wasn't justifying their price by any means, just stating that the exotic veneer isn't cheap and you need large sheets to  keep the grain the right direction for tops, sides, fronts, etc.   You want a large enough amount to match both speakers.   4'X8' Rosewood is around $600-$700.  You can get longer, more narrow runs cheaper though, but matching may not be as good.

But hey, if someone steps up and buys them, good for the seller. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max2 said:

I'm not a fan of that veneer on those cabs.  Its looks very synthetic and unattractive IMO. 

That's why I used the exact word "exotic."  I thought it looked pretty good but those of you with a more educated eye described technical problems with how the veneer looked.  I try to learn from others.

I don't doubt the guy and his dad put a lot of work into their product and when they figured their costs they are asking for enough to justify their time and skill.  It's just that from my perspective as a consumer of a used product I value it differently.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That's why I used the exact word "exotic."  I thought it looked pretty good but those of you with a more educated eye described technical problems with how the veneer looked.  I try to learn from others.

I don't doubt the guy and his dad put a lot of work into their product and when they figured their costs they are asking for enough to justify their time and skill.  It's just that from my perspective as a consumer of a used product I value it differently.

Rosewood, Mahogany or even good old Walnut would have done those cabs justice.  Someone may love that, but I guess I'm too conservative?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Max2 said:

Rosewood, Mahogany or even good old Walnut would have done those cabs justice.  Someone may love that, but I guess I'm too conservative?

I tend to agree with your point of view.  But heck, I'm the guy who likes black speakers.

@Maximus89 put it better than I could have with a knowledgeable opinion and a critical eye.

47 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

One thing i notice with a lot of these veneer jobs also is that they stop there and leave the front and back motorboards as is instead of freshening those up with new black paint or going further than that and veneering those front and backs as well.  Also, the grills being sort of faded and nearly grey makes it look outdated as that covers the entire front and captures the eye first.  

Just my opinion.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

I tend to agree with your point of view.  But heck, I'm the guy who likes black speakers.

@Maximus89 put it better than I could have with a knowledgeable opinion and a critical eye.

Every Speaker I own is black except for my mains.

• Like 1