Cleaning smoke from Klipschorns

Milk

@Wirrunna Thanks for that! Seriously something we've been kicking around and preparing to ask about after I delve into the forums a little. My listening tastes are a little different than most here I would imagine, as I am into electronic music a lot, specifically progressive house and trance/progressive trance, so the debate becomes whether a rebuild from Crites is the way to go or a change in XO to ALK's for different slope...however, my gut instinct is to stay true and just rebuild with the Crites. I love the sound out of the already and we haven't touched anything yet. I'll look into that post you sent too, time to start the investigating now!

4 hours ago, mustang_flht said:
11 hours ago, Milk said:

Thanks! Yeah I had read this, but was confused on the year based on the serial number provided, the format doesn't match up with anything in there, unless I can't figure out how to read a S/N, which who knows, could be.

Yes I saw and I do not know why your serial number does not give you the year! I hope someone on the forum will have the answer.

I've seen that before as well and I can't make heads or tails of it!

We need somebody from Klipsch, Inc help us figure how to read the s/n.  I personally think what is written as the Part Number is the born-on date code, but my guessing is not any reliable way to figure this out.

1 hour ago, Milk said:

so the debate becomes whether a rebuild from Crites is the way to go or a change in XO to ALK's for different slope.

The AK-3 is considered a very good sounding Klipsch crossover.  It might be a steep slope. 

I suggest you give @BEC a call and see what he says. 

15 hours ago, Milk said:

@Wirrunna Thanks for that! Seriously something we've been kicking around and preparing to ask about after I delve into the forums a little. My listening tastes are a little different than most here I would imagine, as I am into electronic music a lot, specifically progressive house and trance/progressive trance, so the debate becomes whether a rebuild from Crites is the way to go or a change in XO to ALK's for different slope...however, my gut instinct is to stay true and just rebuild with the Crites. I love the sound out of the already and we haven't touched anything yet. I'll look into that post you sent too, time to start the investigating now!

The AK-3 is actually considered a good network.  I would not put crappy Sonicaps in it.  Also that is only half the network the other half resides inside the woofer access door which is a couple of Aerovox 50uh caps and a 5mh coil.  Switching to an ALK will require a rewiring of the cabinet.

@Frzninvt Yeah we are in the process of cleaning that smoke crap out now and popped the woofer cab. I shouldn't be surprised, but amazing how cherry it is in there! Sealed very well (obviously, I mean we ARE talking about Klipsch :D). What is the recommended cap then if not Sonicap (that's what Crites sells correct?). And what's the difference there?

16 hours ago, Milk said:

I am a fan of electronic music as well and the Klipsch heritage actually excels at trance and other types of music that have very 'fast' sounds. The horns have a very tactile presence and the immediacy really comes out when you turn the volume up where other speakers start to get muddy. When you finally get it set up, I personally recommend Infected Mushroom's "Never Mind" at the highest SPL you can stand. You can actually feel each and every note they cram in there hit you in the face. Lindsey Stirling's "V-Pop" is amazing as well as you can hear the violin soar above the dubstep beats. When I bought my LaScalas I played Lindsey Stirling to test them out and it convinced the guy to not sell his second pair. B)

3 minutes ago, twk123 said:

I am a fan of electronic music as well and the Klipsch heritage actually excels at trance and other types of music that have very 'fast' sounds. The horns have a very tactile presence and the immediacy really comes out when you turn the volume up where other speakers start to get muddy. When you finally get it set up, I personally recommend Infected Mushroom's "Nevermind" at the highest SPL you can stand. You can actually feel each and every note they cram in there hit you in the face.

@twk123 Oh I will definitely do that! I just caught them a few months ago here at our local venue that gets decent acts in, such a good party! Love me some infected. Do you have any insight on the crossover specs for stuff like this? The curve on the AK-3 work well? I think I'm keeping the AK-3 in regardless for now, but just curious, especially for future tinkering.

19 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

I would at the very least go with Kimber Kaps or even better Auricaps they are available at Parts Express and other places.  Sledgehammer coils are a good choice for the coil replacements.

@Frzninvt Just curious, what is the perceived difference going from Sonic to Kimber to Auri?

1 minute ago, Milk said:

@twk123 Oh I will definitely do that! I just caught them a few months ago here at our local venue that gets decent acts in, such a good party! Love me some infected. Do you have any insight on the crossover specs for stuff like this? The curve on the AK-3 work well? I think I'm keeping the AK-3 in regardless for now, but just curious, especially for future tinkering.

Honestly, I would keep the networks you have for now and just re-cap them unless you really want to upgrade.

If you  do want to upgrade I would get the  Crites A/4500 crossovers (https://critesspeakers.com/bk-sound-type-a4500-crossov.html) and his CT120 Tweeters. (https://critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html). This is what I have on my LaScalas but I bought them this way. Supposedly the original Klipsch tweeters are fairly fragile and the high crossover point causes issues with the mid horn. Bob's tweeters can plan a little lower and his crossover brings the transfer point down some to keep the high frequencies off the mid horn. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

They look great, get them cleaned up and playing good price also. New you could and another 0+ to that number , kind of makes that a steal. :emotion-21:

Welcome

• Like 1