Van Winkle bourbon...

Schu

Okay... so I know some of you guys love this Van Winkle Bourbon...

I happened to find these at my local Shoppe... who knows which one should I try?

41052662525_d6c622d1b9_k.jpg

BTW... I asked the clerk "how much for that Van Winkle on the end"... he said "Twenty-four Ninety Nine".

The 12 year old/Lot B is excellent. I have not been lucky enough to try the 15 year old. For my money I preferred the 20 year to the 23. The 20 year old Pappy was in the best 3 drinks I have had in my life. The thought of selling my unopened bottle has occurred to me after seeing recent auction prices.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If you're serious, get the 12 year.  I don't see any 20.

+1 They have the 20 down to an art form, nobody can age whiskey for 20 years like they can.  The 23 is very hit or miss, and very barrel dependant.  Most people consider it way too wood tasting (people who have paid the money call it "complex").  Personally, I think when they had a miss on a barrel of the 20 they just let it go to an enigma number, like 23, and sold it off in Asia until they realized it would even go here.

If it were me, I would grab that 12.  I prefer Bookers to the 10.

But you are in luck.  There is one of the best whiskey tasting bars in the world right on W. Harmon, the Whisky Attic, run by UNLV Professor Carmer (at least I hope it is still there) and they will even teach you how to taste it.  You used to also be able to get a six taste Pappy flight at Sage. 

Then you will know, and only be out about $400.

Cheers,

Travis